Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZD Backfocusing  (Read 5493 times)

Pantoned

• http://www.arnauanglada.com/
ZD Backfocusing
« on: June 29, 2006, 04:32:38 pm »

Last week I went to change my Mamiya ZD unit for a new one, the problem was the autofocus. The camera focuses fine in manual but the AF had a tendence to focus a little ahead of the plane of focus. The new unit is better even though I would not say perfect (it's still better in manual). I was told that it was a problem of the first units (Other store cameras had the same problem and they had to be replaced too). I have to say that it's a problem of the camera because I tested with various lenses repeated times. I wanted to ask If other users around the world have found a similar problem when shooting wide open and if this is a problem of this concrete camera or it has been found in early Mamiya AF cameras.

Btw this week I have also installed version 1.2 of Mamiya DPS, which has full screen processed preview like Adobe Camer Raw. It's a great improvement and the computer doesn't slow down very much. Of course you can continue using the old method (small window to check sharpness and color) if you prefer.

Regards

Arnau Anglada
---------------------------------------

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
ZD Backfocusing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 06:31:03 am »

Mamiya should recall  the defective units and replace them.  Do you know the serial numbers of the affected units?  I see a few discounts beginning to be offered for the ZD, but it would be unwise to buy unless you are sure you are not  being sold a defective unit from a dealers old inventory.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Pantoned

ZD Backfocusing
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 08:41:39 am »

My old camera's serial was FB11** and my new one is FD10*, so my guess would be that early cameras FA and FB would be affected, but hey, it's just a guess and maybe Mamiya have already fixed the cameras in factory, after all it must be a matter of parameters programming like with all AF eletronic lenses.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
ZD Backfocusing
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 05:31:47 am »

Hi
I was talking to the rep here in Australia for the Mamiya Zd and other Mamiya products. This can be reset and checked with each lens. I have not had a problem with my ZD and got the unit in April. I have tried the Raw Processor and think it has great potential with this camera. I have sent them some Raw files with a Macbeth chart so they can create better profiles.
Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Pantoned

ZD Backfocusing
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 03:53:30 pm »

Hi
I was talking to the rep here in Australia for the Mamiya Zd and other Mamiya products. This can be reset and checked with each lens. I have not had a problem with my ZD and got the unit in April. I have tried the Raw Processor and think it has great potential with this camera. I have sent them some Raw files with a Macbeth chart so they can create better profiles.
Thanks Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69629\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree with you that the software is good and fast  enough, maybe the interface could be refined and still it's pretty good job for being the first version. As for the lenses, with my first body, all the lenses where out of focus with AF, now that I have the second body it occurs basically with the 55-110, the other ones seem to be fine. We made a lot of tests in the store and arrived to the conclusion that it was a problem of this especific lens. The strange thing is that we tried a brand new 55-110 and it had the same problem while with other new lenses there was no problem at all. Anyway, I ended up sending this lens to the services, I'm keeping my hopes. A part from this I'm very happy with the camera.

Regards.

Arnau

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
ZD Backfocusing
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 08:27:08 am »

Hi
I will have to test this further as I use the Mamiya 645 AFDII with the Aptus 22 which I think is the Bench mark. I did use Hasselblad for 18 years V series and to be honest I love the Mamiya kit including the ZD. The new H series for Blad ( Fugi) is such a wank!!! I will not pull any puches here I have used it, and the Mamiya glass is better period. The cost differnece is a joke!!!!  If I alarm other photographers I do not care. We just shot a job that will be van size with the Mamiya and the quality is fantastic!!!!! This is my personal opion.
Thanks Denis Montalbetti
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [
Pages: [1]   Go Up