Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internally, how small of time increment does a camera use in EXIF?  (Read 4651 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

I know I can set my cameras (Canon and Nikon) to YYYYMMDD HH:MM:SS but internally is there a finer 'time code used? And if so how can I get Lightroom or other image processing programs to recognize this finer increment? Its s proving to be a real issue when shooting a Ch (continuous high) with cameras that can shoot at 9fps or greater rates.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Internally, how small of time increment does a camera use in EXIF?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 04:15:25 am »

My experience with Nikon cameras, specifically with D300 and D800 using LR. The value "create date" (EXIF), which is stored in LR in the variable "captureTime", table "Adobe_images", can store values up to 1/100 of a second (YYYY:MM:DD HH.MM.SS.XX) I have checked both the exif and the values in the database to series of photos taken at Ch (4 ~ 6 fps) and they have the same HH:MM:SS with different values for the 1/100 sec.

When I select Sort by "capture time" in LR, they are correctly ordered, even if all of them have the same HH:MM:SS

Having said that, I noticed that in the case of the D800, the last digit is always 0, meaning it does not use 1/100 but up to 1/10 sec, (which is not a problem for that camera), but the D300 does use up to 1/100 sec. so I guess this is camera dependent.

Unfortunately, none of the editing tools I know show these values. You have to use either something like EXIF tool or a Database management tool for the LR catalog.

The attached image shows an extract of a LR catalog, table "Adobe_images" with the highlighted column "captureTime" (using SQLite).

TonyW

Re: Internally, how small of time increment does a camera use in EXIF?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 06:48:44 am »

I am sure Francisco is correct about limited info depending on camera and the option to Sort by Capture Time should correctly sort images. 

Not sure if this of any help but you may want to apply a preset to import that includes the original filename and suffix or any other custom text.  For example Nikon files camera filename "_8000405.NEF" (underscore for Adobe RGB in camera setting).  The filename number should always represent the sequence order even for those 10 shots within 1 second (_8000405 - _8000415)

So this example would show the Hours, Minutes, Seconds and the filename - therefore it should keep all your sequence together and in the correct order
Pages: [1]   Go Up