Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contrast Wars  (Read 3601 times)

churly

Contrast Wars
« on: October 03, 2016, 10:49:20 am »

Johan - I enjoyed the article and the images.  Thanks for the contribution.  Although I am a contrast lover (not saturation) and there is room for everything, my interests have been moving in the direction you describe.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Johanlund

Re: Contrast Wars
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 12:43:24 pm »

Johan - I enjoyed the article and the images.  Thanks for the contribution.  Although I am a contrast lover (not saturation) and there is room for everything, my interests have been moving in the direction you describe.
Chuck

Thanks Chuck. It sounds like you've though through what you like and don't like so much. That's great. A lot of people these days just crank everything, hoping that their images will stand out.
And when everyone tries to be different in the same way...

Johanlund

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 01:00:14 pm »

To stay within the comparison with music: Probably the less understood piece of equipment in a music studio is the compressor, the sole task of the compressor is to reduce the dynamic range of certain sounds or the whole mix, to make it "sound better" and to reinforce some sounds or instruments over others (this is a very simplistic way to explain the use of a compressor).

A full HDR mix is not as pleasant to hear as a carefully balanced, equalized, mastered mix (loudness war aside). IMO the same thing applies to Photography, and some photographers definitely need a compressor in their lives.

You are right. Showing restraint is a much harder and much more important skill to have. It enables you to direct and clarify attention as well as strengthen the subject at hand.
Try screaming at the library contra at the dance floor and notice the difference in attention you will get. :)

damntall

• Crash Course Camera
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 01:35:09 pm »

"Screaming at the library..." hahaha I literally just LOLd at that image. Fun!
Cheers!

Bryan Wright
Founder, Crash Course Camera

"Whether you think you can or can't... either way, you're right." - Henry Ford

John R

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 09:54:30 am »

I have been looking but can't find the article that this thread is referencing. Where can I find it?

JR

elundqvist_photo

• Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 10:00:32 am »

I have been looking but can't find the article that this thread is referencing. Where can I find it?

JR

https://luminous-landscape.com/the-contrast-war/

John R

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 11:21:17 am »

I agree with most everything in the article. When I got my first DSLR in 2008, it did not take me long to move away from the over-saturated and over-processed images I had seen on the internet. This is especially true where natural subject matter is included. But the irony is, to produce a good subtle image, one still has to apply effective post processing to ensure that look comes through. So I had to learn PP whether I liked it or not. I was slide shooter, relying mostly on what came out of the camera as jpeg. I had to compromise to make effective images. I could not believe how dull RAW looked right out of the camera, if you applied the principle of ensuring all data was included in the range of the sensor and histogram. But I still don't like heavily processed images.

Good article!

JR
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 02:19:30 pm by John R »

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 12:28:43 pm »

I think a lot of us have been there. Some never leave! :)
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up