Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decisive moments, vs representative moments...  (Read 975 times)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos

Rob C

Re: Decisive moments, vs representative moments...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 04:07:35 pm »

... and the thing about gas stations at dusk and Edward Hopper.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/magazine/what-we-see-when-we-look-at-travel-photography.html?referer=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FfzY3RC8VkA

When I was a young person, I used to enjoy watching Route 66. When I grew quite a bit older, I used to love driving across France en route to Scotland. Absolutely hated driving up through England. The vivid memory of coming onto British motorways and service stations straight after the well-kept French ones now makes me wonder if post-Brexit was being practised right there and back then, fifteen years ago.

Interesting and inspiring to see that the pound has today fallen to a 30-something years low against the dollar, and is worth a euro 15 cents against the euro 32 cents that it was a while ago. For some inexplicable reason, when I went to the chemist today to pick up part of my pill prescription, they also gave me a little receipt: the statins cost €18,42 and the glaucoma drops €2,50. I pay ten percent of that because of my age and the European membership I currently enjoy. Add in the rest of the different pills that I'm obliged to pop, and if it all comes to a sticky end and the European concessions are lost, I expect I shall be shelling out about a hundred euros a month. If I need hospital treatment under that scenario, I may as well just go for a long walk in the sea instead, and save time.

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 04:44:50 pm »

Whenever I see the words gas station in a photography context I visit this photo and have myself a little smile. I also find it curious that some online versions enhance the visibility of the tower. (Or maybe these are just true to alternate print versions.) I prefer the murkier ones.

In retrospect I'm always glad I took photos on this or that trip. They work if nothing else as memory triggers. The attached pic is one such. I took it during a three-day trek through a desert area so full of new-to-me sights (and smells) that I probably wouldn't remember this particular spot were it not for the visual document. IMO to fret over how anything creative or even just observational will be perceived by other folk while you're doing it is to overthink.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 04:56:13 am »

Thank you for the Tice link, Dave. Though I am famliar with his name, not really deeply so with his work, I'm ashamed to admit.

However, it does make me think how life can be with photographers. Whilst doing it as a job, success was measured by how well one was staying alive and/or meeting some personal peaks of ambition or failing to do so. Later, business over and times and circumstances totally different, the little fire still burns, but in a different colour and thrives and powers on a different gas.

There's a sense of satisfaction that can be found after a shoot, however mundane, when the pics are first seen on the monitor. No longer is there a serious appraisal of how well or otherwise one has followed the requirements that declare the status of the work, but an open and almost detached look at what's there, and a totally new dimension: into what can I turn these things?

And that, I am forced to admit, slightly grudgingly, is entirely because of digital.

The reality is that but for digital, with and/or without its limitations and differences, I couldn't be photographing today.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up