Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One XF Feature Update 3: Flash, Shutter options, Customization  (Read 2746 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

Phase One XF Feature Update 3 provides the following features, at no cost, to all Phase One XF users:

Flash Related
- Profoto Air Manual Control
- Profoto AirTTL
- Flash Duration Analysis
- Rear Curtain Sync (with custom trim)
Shutter/Capture Related
- Electronic Flash (IQ3 100mp only)
- Control of Darkframe Behavior
- Bulb and Time mode
Customization Related
- Save/Load Custom Setups to CF Card
- Icon Control (Show/Hide/Swap)
- Assign Hyperfocal to a hard button
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:37:28 am by Doug Peterson »

Doug Peterson

Re: Phase One XF Feature Update 3: Flash, Shutter options, Customization
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 10:38:00 am »

Oops, initially omitted the link with more details: https://digitaltransitions.com/feature-update-3-phase-one-xf/

Who here uses Profoto Air or Air TTL? Will this be useful to you?

william

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 04:10:13 pm »

Profoto Air user here: full control from the camera will be VERY useful.

Over on Capture Integration's blog, under #4 (describing the Profoto control/functionality), it says "the Rear Button acts as a flash test."  If that's accurate, I wonder (1) why it wasn't made programmable so that a different button could be selected for this function or (2) it is (apparently) not available as a menu item within the Profoto screen on the LCD (or, preferably, both). 

I, for one, have the rear button set to activate autofocus.  Presumably, it can't do both of those things at the same time, so does it change on the fly to only be the flash test button rather than the AF button while you're in the "adjusting the Profoto settings" menu?

This *probably* doesn't make that much difference for how I shoot: If I'm reading all of this correctly, the "flash analysis" tool doesn't act as a flash *meter* per se.  Thus, if that's true, I would be standing at the subject's position, Sekonic light meter in one hand and XF in the other hand.  I hit the rear button to trigger the flash and take the reading with my handheld light meter.  This is the same as what I've always done, with the Profoto Air remote in one hand and the Sekonic meter in the other and the camera either on my shoulder (if shooting handheld) or on the tripod at shooting position.  Thus -- assuming I'm understanding all this correctly -- I wouldn't likely use the flash test function on the XF body at all.  (I suppose, if the camera's on my shoulder when I'm standing at the subject's position, then I needn't also have the Air Remote in my hand: I can just point the camera at the floor and trigger the flash in order to meter with the Sekonic.)

Which raises the question: What's the point of the flash test function if in fact the body doesn't act as a (non-TTL) flash meter? Is this used/useful only for TTL shooting?

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 05:16:33 pm »

Hi William

You can program any of the buttons on the XF to fire the Profoto strobes without firing the shutter or activating the AF.  Please refer to the manual.  I set one of the buttons on the front of camera to simply fire the strobe.  It may have been the depth of field button.  I don't have my XF in hand.

Also I use extra remote to fire off the strobes when metering the strobe.

The flash tool is used for rear curtain sync or for adjusting the peak of the flash. It's not a flash meter.
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

Transposure

• Transposure Creative
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 11:53:04 pm »

Hi William

You can program any of the buttons on the XF to fire the Profoto strobes without firing the shutter or activating the AF.  Please refer to the manual.  I set one of the buttons on the front of camera to simply fire the strobe.  It may have been the depth of field button.  I don't have my XF in hand.

Also I use extra remote to fire off the strobes when metering the strobe.

The flash tool is used for rear curtain sync or for adjusting the peak of the flash. It's not a flash meter.

Jeff,
Thanks for your post.  I use my XF in my studio with my Profotos on a regular basis.  I have always put the XF down and picked up an Air remote and meter and checked light levels.  But, after reading your post, I may want to ditch the remote and just use the XF.
How did you link the flash test to the front button?
Thanks,
Ken
www.transposure.com

Jeffery Salter

• Jeffery Salter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 09:46:54 am »

On the XF camera body's top user interface  are two control keys (silver rectangles), a front key and a rear key.

1.  Turn on camera

2.  Press rear key and you will see all the set-up controls.

3.  Press rear key again and a blue bar will appear over the "UI Setup"

4.  Rotate the Rear dial and press the "Rear key" which will take you to all the control setups.  Press the rear key until a blue bar appears over the "Front" button.  Rotate the rear "dial" again to select "Flash Trig". And you are good to go!

5.  Shoot great pictures!

Here are a few iPhone snaps.  Also refer to XF Camera System user guide page 13/14 for more info.

Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.

Transposure

• Transposure Creative
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 10:12:09 am »

Above and beyond on that instruction.  Really appreciate it.
Thanks Jeff! 

william

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 10:40:59 am »

Indeed; thanks, Jeff!

Doug Peterson

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 05:36:12 pm »

I, for one, have the rear button set to activate autofocus.  Presumably, it can't do both of those things at the same time, so does it change on the fly to only be the flash test button rather than the AF button while you're in the "adjusting the Profoto settings" menu?

Correct. It changes on the fly. As soon as you half tap the shutter to leave the profoto menu the rear button returns to autofocus (or whatever else you have it programmed to).

Jeffery Salter

• Jeffery Salter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 05:52:03 pm »

You are welcome. @William and @KPV glad to help.
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
Pages: [1]   Go Up