Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ability To "Lock" Image States  (Read 1441 times)

John Caldwell

Ability To "Lock" Image States
« on: October 02, 2016, 05:33:30 pm »

Having made numerous unintended edits to catalog contents, I'd really appreciate the ability to lock image states, and Unlock at a whim.

1) All Library settings: Keyword, Star Ratings, Collection Membership, and so on
2) Develop settings

Would this be difficult to encode? Would others enjoy this? Not really interested in the the notion that proper catalog backup constitutes equivalent functionality.

John Caldwell

ButchM

Re: Ability To "Lock" Image States
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 09:17:28 pm »

Having made numerous unintended edits to catalog contents, I'd really appreciate the ability to lock image states, and Unlock at a whim.

1) All Library settings: Keyword, Star Ratings, Collection Membership, and so on
2) Develop settings

Would this be difficult to encode? Would others enjoy this? Not really interested in the the notion that proper catalog backup constitutes equivalent functionality.

John Caldwell

A similar idea has been around now for several years ... Even though it has received considerable 'votes' over at the feedback forum, it doesn't seem to have earned much traction with the decision makers at Adobe.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/mark_a_photo_as_the_final_version

John Caldwell

Re: Ability To "Lock" Image States
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 12:27:33 pm »

Thank you for your reply. The Adobe forum discussion you mentioned appeared much more concerned with protecting a final state in terms of Develop changes. My concern is much broader, meaning I'm concerned about making unintended changes to metadata like Keywords, Star Ratings, GPS data and so forth. Develop changes would also be nice to lock down too.

My thought is that we could select thousands of images at one time, perhaps by highlighting the parent folder for an entire year, and simply "Lock" the files. As an amateur, I'd guess that would be too burdensome from programming perspectives. Having made unintended errors in keyword deletion ad Star rating deletion, this has become important to me. Catalog backup really isn't useful unless you know when and where you made such an error, and in my case, errors weren't discovered for many months after the fact.

Surprised this hasn't come up before.

Thanks again,

John Caldwell
Pages: [1]   Go Up