Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P800 bidirectional printing slows down  (Read 1768 times)

unesco

P800 bidirectional printing slows down
« on: October 02, 2016, 02:26:13 pm »

Hi all,

I've just opend my package with brand new P800 to substitute my 3880 (which will go for Piezography) and after a setup and first prints noticed that when bidirectional printing is turned on (in both 1440 and 2880 mode) the printer does not print ~2x faster as in 3880 case but after about 30 head passes (counted as left and right direction) at full speed it slows down. It acceletrates at the end of the page to full speed. The efect is that A4 page takes e.g. 4:10 min in UNI-DIR mode and 3:00 min in BI-DIR mode. Is it normal?

It happens the same also for ABW mode. I have already printed with PK settings only (glossy and semi glossy papers). I have the latest driver (6.71), the firmware is not the latest one (OR12G4) but I would like to check all options and reasons.

Any help much appreciated!

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: P800 bidirectional printing slows down
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 11:29:50 pm »

Maybe a network issue?  If  you pause the printer, what happens when you resume it?

Are you using the p800 over wifi and the 3880 was USB or Ethernet?

Can't think of anything else at the moment ...

unesco

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 05:34:39 am »

Thank you for the answer.
Both printers are connected via USB. It looks like adding extra drying time. It is not visible on A2 format I printed this morning, only on A4 and smaller and is content dependent.
Sometimes similar efect was visible on 3880 but rare, not on this scale and never on standard glossy media.
Does you or any other P800 owner experience similar behaviour?

howardm

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 08:39:25 am »

it would be interesting to see if the problem is seen if the printer is connected by Ethernet.  A spooling/buffer issue could be the culprit esp if the USB cable is excessively long.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 02:01:40 pm »

No issues here.  Also I don’t believe drying time is “dynamic” where it would vary based on content.

One other thought, quality of USB cables is pretty sketchy sometimes, and extra long ones often have issues.

Just a thought.

my p800 runs pretty much the same speed on any media type and even on large prints.

unesco

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 04:12:59 pm »

Thanks for reply - today everything went to expected state, the printer prints as it should at full speed. I have no idea what happened, I've done nothing, except of computer reset (Win7), the same cable etc. Maybe in initial state after the 1st run, it requires some time to "fully" fill all lines with ink, get rid of air bubbles or anything like this...?

Now I fight with ColorBase2 to override default inner calibration state, before I start profiling. I can see some banding on some gray patches (nozzle check is ok) like paper advance would not be ok. I cannot find any tool for paper settings correction as it was LFP for 3880, is there anything similar for P800?

After the first calibration with color base 2 (I have only Color Munki), prints seem to be more than bit too warmer, however compared on stock profiles for Tetenal and Tecco papers...
If you or anyone have any experience with ColorBase2 and P800, any suggestions would be appreciated...
Pages: [1]   Go Up