Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac OSX Sierra; Any Issues  (Read 8480 times)

JoeKitchen

Mac OSX Sierra; Any Issues
« on: October 02, 2016, 01:12:20 pm »

Has anyone upgraded to Sierra?  Any issues with CaptureOne v9 or Photoshop CS6? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Mac OSX Sierra; Any Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 02:14:10 pm »

Has anyone upgraded to Sierra?  Any issues with CaptureOne v9 or Photoshop CS6?

I just did some color management for someone with ElCapitan - it was horrible with 3 different renderings onscreen of the same image.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

The View

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 02:19:31 pm »

I'm still on Yosemite.

Since Apple considers new software releases betas with public testing I only upgrade very late.

Being two versions behind seems to be the right distance to have them work out the kinks.

All I need is my software acting up, and then my client. Sanatorium stays are expensive ;)
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

eronald

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 02:59:02 pm »

This is exactly what all my Mac savvy friends say

Edmund

I'm still on Yosemite.

Since Apple considers new software releases betas with public testing I only upgrade very late.

Being two versions behind seems to be the right distance to have them work out the kinks.

All I need is my software acting up, and then my client. Sanatorium stays are expensive ;)
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 06:17:18 pm »

So I guess the consensus is don't up grade. 

Any way to upgrade to El Captain? 

"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

eronald

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 09:26:27 pm »

So I guess the consensus is don't up grade. 

Any way to upgrade to El Captain?

Yes, stay away from it :)
Stick with Yosemite if you can.
We can discuss this in the color management or computer forum.

Edmund
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 10:37:45 pm by eronald »

jng

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 10:48:37 pm »

I missed the upgrade to Yosemite so was compelled to upgrade to El Capitan (10.11) from Mountain Lion (10.8 ). El Cap caused me no end of grief - Bridge CC still routinely crashes with my computer's configuration (multiple desktops coupled with multiple monitors) and C1 v9 was also a bit unstable, at least initially. The lesson I learned was to download each OS update but wait at least a generation or two before installing it. Alas, I wish I did this with Yosemite, but once the new OS comes out the previous one is no longer available for download from Apple.

- John

eronald

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 11:07:17 pm »

You can get Yosemite. Read this:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-install-el-capitan-yosemite-snow-leopard-old-versions-of-mac-os-x-3629363/

Edmund

I missed the upgrade to Yosemite so was compelled to upgrade to El Capitan (10.11) from Mountain Lion (10.8 ). El Cap caused me no end of grief - Bridge CC still routinely crashes with my computer's configuration (multiple desktops coupled with multiple monitors) and C1 v9 was also a bit unstable, at least initially. The lesson I learned was to download each OS update but wait at least a generation or two before installing it. Alas, I wish I did this with Yosemite, but once the new OS comes out the previous one is no longer available for download from Apple.

- John

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 11:14:17 pm »

I'm running Sierra on my laptop, no issues so far, Ps, Lr, C1 all seem to work fine.I haven't tried printing anything yet.  About to give that a go tonight.

I've had no color management issues other than those from Adobe with Yosemite or El Capitan

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:31:03 am by Wayne Fox »

jng

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 11:38:47 pm »

You can get Yosemite. Read this:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-install-el-capitan-yosemite-snow-leopard-old-versions-of-mac-os-x-3629363/

Edmund

Thanks for the link. I think I'll stick with El Capitan. We seemed to have reached detente. For now...

Endeavour

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 08:46:40 am »

I'd upgrade if there was a performance advantage - but not because I could now speak to my macbook, or unlock it if I had an iwatch - which is pretty much all sierra has

eronald

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 07:41:11 pm »

Sierra is getting a really bad rep for stability, especially with Photoshop and Microsoft Office.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/03/photoshop-office-2016-macos-sierra-fixes-in-works/

It's pretty clear that the 15% of sales that Apple now gets from the Mac are simply not buying enough of a QC budget, from a company that used to pride itself on a stellar user experience.

Edmund

Joe Towner

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 11:22:32 pm »

As I work on lots of Macs, I've got a stash of OS installs - PM me if you need a link.

Neither Microsoft nor Apple seems to care that their 'forced updates' break any number of other software makers, and the inability to easily prevent these  updates is unacceptable.  The OS no longer matters - they're the required underpinnings for applications we all depend on - but when it works one day, and installs a 'patch' that breaks my critical app, <fill in swear words of choice here>
t: @PNWMF

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 12:31:14 am »

So I"ve printed extensively from Sierra now with no issues at all.  I haven't found anything in my workflow to be an issue, so I'll probably bite the bullet and upgrade my Mac Pro.  I'll have a cloned backup so I can easily go back, but I've heard there are several under the hood performance improvements, and even though using Siri sounds stupid, I've actually found it very useful.  Granted I work in an environment at home where I'm alone so verbally talking to my computer isn't a big deal, maybe not so easy in a typical work environment.

I just wish I could rename Siri to "computer" ... would love to start saying "Hey computer" ... :)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 01:57:12 am »

I'm not sure why people race to upgrade to a new operating system. Is there a prize that I don't know about?
I am quite happy to wait at least 6 months or often a year when all the bugs are ironed out and the third parties get their upgrades done. Usually just before the next upgrade.
I seldom have a problem that way.
I am currently on El Capitan on machines from Mid 2010 to Late 2013 without a problem.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 02:15:17 pm »

I’ve been on Sierra on my Laptop for a while now with no issues at all,  but just discovered a feature which might make it more enticing to upgrade if you are a photographer.

The Photos app has changed the checkbox for devices. With El Capitan this device allowed you to “disable” opening photos per device, so the default for each device was to load and you had to check the box to prevent it from opening Photos when used.  Unfortunately this only worked until you formatted the card again.

I noticed on m last trip that Photos wasn’t opening.  I assumed it was because I use the card each day, download the images and continue to use the card until it’s full, then move to the next card (the images stay on the card until I get home and the data has moved through my chain of redundant backups).  yesterday I went out to shoot, and formatted the card to start fresh, and noticed Photos didn’t open.

So the change appears to be in the Photos app the checkbox now says “Open Photos for this device” and its appears the default state is off.  CF/SD cards now no longer automatically open the Photos app on my MacBook Pro when a SD or CF card is inserted.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 02:20:43 pm »

Thanks Wayne, that has been quite annoying to me. You may have pushed me over the edge.

Dave

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 03:40:31 am »

Thanks Wayne, that has been quite annoying to me. You may have pushed me over the edge.

Dave, in earlier versions of the OS you could enter

defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES

into Terminal and it would have permanent and universal effect.

Jeremy

Giulioz

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 06:46:29 am »

ColorNavigator, the calibration software for Eizo displays does not work with Sierra and Eizo has issued an update for Sierra yet.

Giulio

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 09:07:34 am »

ColorNavigator, the calibration software for Eizo displays does not work with Sierra and Eizo has issued an update for Sierra yet.

Since Capture One now supports calibrating Eizo's self-calibrating monitors and Capture One is Sierra-compatible maybe that's an option for some users?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up