Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi im new to photography  (Read 3484 times)

vescaegg

Hi im new to photography
« on: June 29, 2006, 01:16:47 pm »

hi everyone. i recently returned from a 6 month backpacking trip around australia, new zeland and fiji. i was always interested in photography but havent really had the money to afford a decent camera. i bought a standard point and click digital and took as many photos as possible along the way, hoping to pick out the best when i got home.
its a 3.2 megapixel song dsc-p8, but nonetheless i think i got some alright shots. (probaly not up to any of your standards though) anyway i was just hoping for some critiques of them?

dont be too harsh please! any input would be great though.
im putting quite a few up! sorry! it mite take a while to load!
thanks!

kieran

[attachment=758:attachment]
[attachment=759:attachment]
[attachment=760:attachment]
[attachment=761:attachment]
[attachment=762:attachment]
[attachment=763:attachment]
[attachment=764:attachment]
[attachment=765:attachment]
[attachment=766:attachment]
[attachment=767:attachment]
[attachment=768:attachment]

Paul Sumi

Hi im new to photography
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 08:20:37 pm »

kieran,

As a backpacker myself, I would not denigrate the camera you used.  Assuming that photography was NOT your primary goal, every ounce counts when one travels by foot and this camera would seem to fit the bill.

Of the images you've shared, these two attracted my attention:

[attachment=770:attachment]

[attachment=771:attachment]

Landscape photography is all about the light, and the coastal image is very atmospheric. The mountain reflection is graphically strong. Not saying either is perfect, but both have a lot of potential.

The thing to do is to look at your images to try to isolate in each one what it was that attracted your attention.  Was it the subject matter, the light, the color?  Try different croppings which emphasize what you think is strong about that image and tells the story.

In my case at least, the first image I photograph of a scene is rarely the best.  If you have the time, experiment with different compositions and angles and you will be less likely to shoot a "postcard" (pretty but unoriginal image).

Finally, if you want to get serious about photography you have to do some work.  Read books, ask questions, go to exhibits of photographs, take classes or workshops, find photographer friends who can critique your work, and do a lot of photography on your own.

Paul

http://www.pbase.com/pauls
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 08:31:47 pm by PaulS »

ray905

• http://
Hi im new to photography
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 08:39:14 pm »

Welcome from another newbie to the forum.  I can't comment much on the three documentry images because that type of photography is not a interest of mine and I don't feel qualified.  However, all of the rest are quite interesting.  You seem to have a good eye picking interesting scenics and even more importantly,  you have captured some very good light here.  Nature photography, especially, is all about the light. Keep up the good work. You got some alright shots  

Regards,
Regards,
Ray Malin
Pages: [1]   Go Up