Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Tabletop books  (Read 1003 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Printing Tabletop books
« on: October 01, 2016, 12:24:42 pm »

I want to print a few copies for my personal use.  There will be a separate color edition and BW edition.

Who's services would you recommend and why?  What type paper is best?  What about editing, color gamut, sharpness, etc.?  I use Lightroom 6 in Windows 10 and have a calibrated monitor.  Some of the pictures will be from digital and others will be scanned 120 film.  Thanks

JeanMichel

Re: Printing Tabletop books
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 05:43:40 pm »

Check out https://www.pikto.com
I have used them to print a few books and am very happy with the service and the results. They provide ICC profiles for the papers they use, you can therefore soft-proof your publication before sending the book for printing.
They have a "BookIt" programme that you can use to produce your books, I never used that. I use LR and PS to prepare the images, design the books in InDesign and export the file as a PDF. I usually get either some pages proofed before committing to the full job.
Jean-Michel

Peter McLennan

Re: Printing Tabletop books
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 11:34:18 am »

I used Blurb for my first (and only, so far) attempt at a book.  inDesign for assembly, PDF export sent to Blurb.  I chose the largest size and the highest quality for the media.  The result was delightful in all respects.  I compared the book to my screen images and could see almost no difference. I'll use the exact same workflow for my next production.

The words (captions, descriptions, text) were WAY harder than the pictures. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up