Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: With Red 8K Raw, movie recording surpasses most still cameras  (Read 22625 times)

bcooter

Re: With Red 8K Raw, movie recording surpasses most still cameras
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2016, 07:56:52 am »

Edmund,   That was joke, but since we have no sense of humor anymore, I modified my post, though copyright is really serious. 

I wish you had shot it though.  That would have made me happy if you were producing images and posting them (your words).

But seriously, I was kidding, though I guess it didn't come across that way.

BC

J,

I just saw that you were complaining about the wikipedia image and not my own - you're right, I checked the site, and disembedded the link. People can still click on it, but it now clearly shows where it is linking to.

For a while I thought you were accusing me of not shooting the dance picture myself. I would request that if there is an issue you want to draw my attention to in the future you simply send me a PM if you're feeling nice, or just contact the mods directly if your mood is dark.

Edmund
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:14:32 am by bcooter »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2016, 10:23:12 am »

Edmund,   That was joke, but since we have no sense of humor anymore, I modified my post, though copyright is really serious. 

I wish you had shot it though.  That would have made me happy.

BC

Yes, I agree we seem to be losing our sense of humor.

I did make a mistake by assuming the Wikipedia image had been released; in fact  you were perfectly right, it is a copyrighted promotional image, and should not be on Wikipedia, in my opinion - precisely to avoid boobytraps. As you point out, the risk here is not simply one of a lacking attribution, which is an everyday issue with everything wikipedia, in this case it is the immediate generation of a copyright violation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing against image copyright, but we have private homes and public streets - and this is a little like having someone set up a stall on the public street and then charge entrance if you happen to wander in. That image does not belong on Wikipedia, because everything on Wikipedia gets copied all over the web. IMO.

I kind of liked this actress, she was very well cast in the Battlestar role..

I'm actually happy with the imagery I shoot these days. Look at this one and you will understand why:

Edmund
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:38:22 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

bcooter

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2016, 12:23:51 pm »

I'm actually happy with the imagery I shoot these days. Look at this one and you will understand why:

Edmund

And you should be.   I just had a conversation with a client, who has begun shooting personal images of his family with a little olympus em-5.   He said he's learning, but his image is not to our standards.

I responded that the importance of an image is more than production values, billing, pixels, even style. 

In reality your image has more value than ours, because it will last for generations.  Our work has a long shelf life (kind of wish it didn't), but it will never be as personal as something you produce for your family.

Photography can touch so many people in so many ways, but nothing means more than something personal.

This video I shot is a true home movie, during a family reunion.  I probably only shot 15 minutes (if that) of footage as I wanted to enjoy myself and not become the family film maker. 

My family loved it, I guess others will see it differently, but it's not for art, it's for family, but I'm more proud of this than aything with heavy production.  Shot with a 70d.

My only regret is I'm not in it, but that would have been difficult.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:29:23 pm by bcooter »

Rob C

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2016, 01:13:19 pm »

Hey, I like our human sides!

My daughter when a little girl:

When she was seventeen, you couldn't tell who was driving her Mum's car. Identical hair, only the daughter liked loud music on in the car and Mum did not!

Rob

bcooter

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2016, 02:52:35 pm »

Rob,

As I say, I love your work, but this image, though simple is really great.  No one is harder to photograph than someone you love.

Great photo Rob, but as I have said, you got the eye.

When she was seventeen, you couldn't tell who was driving her Mum's car. Identical hair, only the daughter liked loud music on in the car and Mum did not!

Rob

eronald

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2016, 02:55:38 pm »

That film is great - spontaneity at its best.

My big regret is that I'm never in these pictures. And recently my son says "take a picture" and I say "of you"? And he says "of both of us". That is the thing tech really needs to bring us, a way to let the photographer creep back into  the image without the narcissistic concentration of the selfie.

I really don't believe tech and staff are good for story-telling - as opposed to selling. I bought a box of Rohmer movies some years ago, and IMHO the most intense experience was where the equipment was cheapest and he had no money for film stock and cut to the bone.

Edmund

And you should be.   I just had a conversation with a client, who has begun shooting personal images of his family with a little olympus em-5.   He said he's learning, but his image is not to our standards.

I responded that the importance of an image is more than production values, billing, pixels, even style. 

In reality your image has more value than ours, because it will last for generations.  Our work has a long shelf life (kind of wish it didn't), but it will never be as personal as something you produce for your family.

Photography can touch so many people in so many ways, but nothing means more than something personal.

This video I shot is a true home movie, during a family reunion.  I probably only shot 15 minutes (if that) of footage as I wanted to enjoy myself and not become the family film maker. 

My family loved it, I guess others will see it differently, but it's not for art, it's for family, but I'm more proud of this than aything with heavy production.  Shot with a 70d.

My only regret is I'm not in it, but that would have been difficult.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:26:49 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

eronald

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2016, 03:17:04 pm »

Nice pic! It's interesting how people who stare into the camera suddenly watch ... something else. Of course, getting them to watch something else is your particular talent ...

Edmund

Rob

Manoli

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2016, 03:58:01 pm »

@ Cooter, Edmund and Rob

You don't know how true that is. With each passing year the emotional value of these 'personal' shots grows almost exponentially. Of all the clips Cooter posted this (and one other one) are the ones I remember. Ditto for Edmund's shot of his son, and though Rob's not posted that one before - I can well understand the emotional attachment and importance to him. As they say, time doesn't stand still ...

Over the last year, I've been trying to produce short 30-60 second 'motion' shorts of friends and family , not too long and not too large so many of them can carry the clips on an 'iPhone' or similar. Still, there's nothing like a beautiful print for emotive response!

So, inspired by the 'humanist' side of your posts and not wanting to sideline myself , here are a couple of old time favourites. The first is my daughter, M6 ( single cam that lasted up until the M8), one shot, no motor drive or modern 4K photo, prefocused ( I know there's motion blur, but hey ...) on Tri-X, and the second, some time later - don't recall the details, but probably that 'funny' film that turned sepia if you developed it in C-41.

...  but I'm more proud of this than aything with heavy production.  My only regret is I'm not in it, but that would have been difficult.

IMO
BC

Edit:
[/deleted attachments]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 04:47:01 am by Manoli »

eronald

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2016, 04:36:59 pm »

Manoli - long time no see!

Talk of catching the moment in the first image :) And then the second "some time later" :)

There used to be this concept "mosaic time" floating around, I saw it first in "Einstein's dreams" and in a way I guess it describes what happens when you lay out pictures like that flat on a table in front of you, rather than leafing through an album. Sequence is destroyed, but something else appears? You now have a mosaic of your own emotions and memories laid out in front of you ...

Edmund
http://www.physicscentral.com/explore/writers/einsteins-dreams.cfm

@ Cooter, Edmund and Rob

You don't know how true that is. With each passing year the emotional value of these 'personal' shots grows almost exponentially. Of all the clips Cooter posted this (and one other one) are the ones I remember. Ditto for Edmund's shot of his son, and though Rob's not posted that one before - I can well understand the emotional attachment and importance to him. As they say, time doesn't stand still ...

Over the last year, I've been trying to produce short 30-60 second 'motion' shorts of friends and family , not too long and not too large so many of them can carry the clips on an 'iPhone' or similar. Still, there's nothing like a beautiful print for emotive response!

So, inspired by the 'humanist' side of your posts and not wanting to sideline myself , here are a couple of old time favourites. The first is my daughter, M6 ( single cam that lasted up until the M8), one shot, no motor drive or modern 4K photo, prefocused ( I know there's motion blur, but hey ...) on Tri-X, and the second, some time later - don't recall the details, but probably that 'funny' film that turned sepia if you developed it in C-41.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 06:18:38 pm by eronald »

bcooter

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2016, 07:37:57 pm »

@ Cooter, Edmund and Rob

Manoli, thank you for the view into your life.  The pool photo is true art.'

Thanks

BC

Manoli

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2016, 04:55:56 am »

@ Cooter and Edmund

Thank you.
M

Rob C

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2016, 02:38:27 pm »

Thank you for the kind remarks, folks; here's a shot of the kid's Mum doing a stand-in during a locations recce in Cyprus for the Teacher's Whisky Calendar gig (Nikon F or F2, Kodachrome 64 Pro).

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2016, 03:38:07 pm »

"There was no random firing as there is today"

-Alfred Steiglitz, 1934

Rob C

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2016, 06:03:18 pm »

"There was no random firing as there is today"

-Alfred Steiglitz, 1934

Even in my time, it cost money! Best reason ever for considered shooting.

Rob

eronald

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2016, 08:16:53 pm »

Rob

Rob

It is true that the marginal cost of an image is now close to zero, with high upfront costs for the camera - makes me wonder why we don't all shoot more. Or maybe we do - with our phones :)

I sometimes do still-life pix of whatever is lying around the room.

Edmund
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 08:20:05 pm by eronald »

Telecaster

« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2016, 03:25:35 pm »

Rob's photo above reminds me of the attached one, of my mom, taken by my dad in July/August 1959.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2016, 04:15:24 am »

I can see the similarity; in my case, my shot reminds me strongly of many things I might have otherwise forgotten. Having said which, it lives only on the web, but another, tiny and different one torn from an old Intnl. Driving Licence, lives wedged into the corner of a larger photograph of the kids; I see it several times a day and always blow it a kiss. There exists but a single other copy, in my wallet, and the negative did not survive transfer from UK to Spain. How fragile human emotion and life.

It puts a great perspective onto the things one owns. Those pix would be rescued from a disaster before anything else.

Rob

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2016, 07:40:33 am »

Hi Rob,

Great image!

Best regards
Erik

Rob
Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2016, 08:42:27 am »

Thank you, kind sir!

How time flies; her own kids are adults now...

Don't want to think about where that places me.

Rob

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2016, 02:57:31 pm »

I sometimes enjoy the workflow to pull stills from motion, it´s not meant to replace a still shooting, it just adds another tool and it is just so different. I don´t second the idea it is just "let the camera roll and be lucky to find a good still". It needs the same if not more preparation and attention to get a good result. This example is taken from a 6K Red Monochrome clip we recently shot for Mario Krankl.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 03:04:57 pm by UlfKrentz »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up