Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin  (Read 2414 times)

stephenjennings

Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin
« on: September 30, 2016, 03:11:19 pm »

I really like this paper for two reasons: one is that the image prints with a slight sheen to it while the un-inked paper remains matte, and two is that the Photo Black head on my Epson R3000 is dead so that I need a paper that can print with a sheen using Matte Black ink.  Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin works fine, but it contains OBA's and I'd rather use a paper that didn't.  Any recommendations?

deanwork

Re: Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 11:00:27 pm »

Canson Platine - no dye brightners, but with white pigments they achieve the brightest paper base

Hahnemuhle Photorag Baryta - no dye brightners, slightly warmer

I like that Hah Satin but the print needs to be perfectly flat or you see that distracting sheen.

I really like this paper for two reasons: one is that the image prints with a slight sheen to it while the un-inked paper remains matte, and two is that the Photo Black head on my Epson R3000 is dead so that I need a paper that can print with a sheen using Matte Black ink.  Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin works fine, but it contains OBA's and I'd rather use a paper that didn't.  Any recommendations?

unesco

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 03:41:39 am »

As for matt paper there is also Solution Photo White Satin 270, as far as I know rebranded HM paper, very similar to PhotoRag Satin, but made of a-celulose, and contains some OBA but pricing is very good. I use it quite often with 3880.

John Caldwell

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 05:23:56 pm »

Interesting dilemma. I have personally never seen a paper that looked like Pho Rag Satin. Is the OBA issue truly that important? The sheen that some find objectionable is the point of PR Satin. If you don't want that, make your life easier and use an alternative.

Canson Platine is very nice paper, of course, but quite different in appearance from PR Satin in my mind. I never thought of creating an MK profile for Platine, deanwork may have some interesting thoughts there. My use of Platine, both Epson and Canson, has been strictly PK.

John Caldwell
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 02:13:42 pm by John Caldwell »

stephenjennings

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 03:09:04 pm »

I love Hahn Photorag Baryta (probably my favorite), but it uses PK ink, so I've had to stop using it since the PK head in my R3000 died.  I'm planning on replacing my R3000 with a P800, but til then I'm stuck with papers that use MK.

As for OBA's, I was never THAT concerned, as I thought that they just faded evenly, but I recently heard that they fade in splotches, which brings to mind the foxing on old albumen prints etc.   I work in Preservation as well as being a photographer and I'd like to avoid that.

I've not seen Canson Platine, but I'll definitely take a look.

Stephen Jennings

kjkahn

Re: Canson Platine and ink
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 03:51:01 pm »

I'm not saying that Canson Platine won't take MK ink but Canson indicates it should be used with Photo Black (PK).

Canson Media Settings

The media setting is Ultra Premium Photo Paper Semi-Gloss.

Same ink setting, slightly different media setting for P800.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 04:02:26 pm by kjkahn »

John Caldwell

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 05:43:19 pm »

Platine is a PK paper, for sure, but that doesn't mean an MK profile can't be created that could work.

We have PR Satin prints on display in our home for more than a decade, behind Museum Glass. The look fine to me, although we are not Conservationists.

John-

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 06:19:52 am »

Hahnemühle PRS is unique paper - it had a Permajet clone, but now it's discontinued. There are 2 similar papers from Solution and Permajet that are clones of discontinued HM White Etching Satin 270 from Solution and Permajet. All contain OBA, so AFAIK there's no OBA free option.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa
Pages: [1]   Go Up