Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Which printer for large scale landscapes?  (Read 7208 times)

Huffie

Which printer for large scale landscapes?
« on: September 29, 2016, 04:07:38 pm »

Being a one time photographer i have decided to follow my dream and get back to art-making.
I plan to buy a Pentax K-1 with the FA/31mm for large scale landscapes.
It seems Epson has been the fine art printing leader for years, is this still true?
Their current large format printer is the SureColor P-800.
Is this a good choice?
I need excellent detail rendering in color and B&W, stable colors so they are archival (and sell-able as art prints) as well as comparability with my iMac running OSX 10.7.
Is the extra RIP software needed for my needs?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Which printer for large scale landscapes?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 04:26:00 pm »

Large scale can exceed the 17" carriage width of a P800, but if you don't intend a larger width it's fine - and buy it with the optional roll holder for doing panos longer than the maximum sheet length. If you wish to go for a 24 inch carriage width and have pano capability, your options open to an Epson P7000 or a Canon Pro-2000, both of which handle sheets and rolls. Both are excellent printers. Both will deliver fine colour and superb image detail. Your choice should depend on where you are in terms of access to service and the particular features of the printers that are most important to you.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Huffie

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 04:38:22 pm »

Thanks Mark!
Service may well be a big problem.
I live near Yosemite, which really is in the middle of nowhere (or everywhere depending on how you are thinking about it!?)
Is there a problem with Epson service?
If i buy it online or in San Francisco what will my approach to service look like?
Is Canon a better choice service-wise?
Since my plan is basically straight landscapes, what specific features should i be looking for in a printer?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 04:46:36 pm »

You would be dealing with Epson America or Canon USA (CUSA). I have no idea about the pros and cons of how either would service that area of the US, as I live in Canada. From Canada I haven't had issues with either. The choices for features don't depend on whether you are printing landscapes or other kinds of photos; it's basically about how the printers work. We have not yet reviewed either an Epson P-7000 or a Canon Pro-2000 on this website, but Keith Cooper over at Northlight Images has reviewed both and woould be worth your while reading. There are also hundreds of Forum posts on this website discussing the pros and cons of the Epson versus the Canon approaches to printer technology, also worth reading. 

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 04:57:53 pm »

P-800 and smaller you take it to them for service.
24" and larger they come to you.
I would give more thought to what you think you can sell.
If canvas then I would not get anything smaller then a 24" unit.
I started with The Epson 7900 and 6 weeks later I ordered a 44" 9900.
A 24" printer is only going to get you around 20x30 gallery wrap (Or wider of course.)
Big jump from a P-800 to the 8000.
Good to get your feet wet first.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 05:03:01 pm by Dan Berg »

Huffie

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 06:16:33 pm »

What about paying extra for the designer edition? - (it includes the "EFI Fiery eXpress RIP software)
Is that going to be useful for making art prints?
I have read someone saying that creating ICC profiles is not needed for them because the P800 settings are good out of the box.
Does that sound reasonable?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 07:15:09 pm »

Numerous photographers find they don't need a RIP to make excellent fine-art prints, but quite a few photographers appreciate some of their convenience features. Print quality mainly depends on how well you prepare the photos for printing, and the quality of your colour management including the paper profiles. Profiles can be fine whether from the paper and printer manufacturers or custom to your printer. A lot of material about this on this website.

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 08:07:39 pm »

Let me toss in an additional something to think about re sizing the printer.  Whatever models you narrow down to, take a good look at the replacement cost of a full set of ink carts.  It can be fairly staggering for the really large printers.  I do a lot of file preparation and printing for myself and other photographers and I only keep "in house" a 17" carriage printer.  This easily handles 95% of my needs.  For really large prints/canvases it is much more cost effective to do file prep and soft proofing in my digital darkroom, but have the print made by someone else.  I would love to own a 24" or even larger printer, but it just doesn't pencil out based on the actual need for that size print in terms of total volume.

Anyway, price the ink!  In the long run and with any volume of printing at all, the ink will be at least as large a consideration in the overall cost of operation as the printer itself.

And let me add something that has been inferred but not stated fully... all of the printers mentioned so far, and even adding in the 13" carriage printers using the same inksets, are capable of producing gallery level works of art with beautiful detail and color and excellent longevity (assuming the paper used is up to it) when handled properly.

You're in the right place for good advice... Mark, and others here like Jeff Schewe, are truly experts and are very gracious in sharing their knowledge.  I've been "taught" by everyone here and it has been a huge help in achieving really fine results.

Best wishes in your analysis.

Rand
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:13:33 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 10:05:39 pm »

Hi Rand - you're raising an important point about the inks. The per ml ink cost for an 80 ml cartridge whether Epson or Canon runs quite high compared with the 160 ml and up cartridges that come with the 24 inch models. The inks do last a long time - well beyond their expiry dates, so even printing relatively low volume, if one can make use of the 24 inch carriage and has the space to house such printers, ink would be one consideration favouring this size printer. But with limited space and no need for a 24" printer, you are correct that a P800 will make exhibition quality prints, as will the Canon Pro-1000.

shadowblade

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 11:27:09 pm »

HP Z3200 and don't look back.

Longest-lasting inkset on the market, and the most reliable art-quality printer I've used, especially if you're not printing all day, every day (i.e. most photographers). Self-profiling, and you can leave it idle while you're away for a 3-month shooting trip, and it will print as normal when you get back, without clogs. It also uses very little ink, so is cheap to run.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 11:54:22 pm »

+1
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

tonyrom

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 01:18:42 am »

Just to put things into perspective.  For a P800 printing on a 13x19 sheet, the ink cost is ~$2.09 according to RedRiver.  Now, adjust the price of inks for the P6000-P9000, the same print would cost ~$1.70.  The actual cost of ink is not that interesting when asking which printer to buy.  It's the relative cost that matters.  The inks cost 20% less using 150 ml cart. and 42% less using the 350 ml cart.  The reason I mention the cost at all is the ink cost is a much smaller cost component than the Paper.  I assume you want good quality paper and as an example, the 13x19 sheet of Canson Baryta cost ~$4.00.

What I do is mix the cartridge sizes, LLK goes a lot quicker than Orange for the printing I do.  So, I use a combination of 150ml and 350ml.

I can vouch for Epson service, they are serious when it comes to taking care of you and your printer.

HTH,
-tony

stockjock

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 03:46:05 am »

Thanks Mark!
Service may well be a big problem.
I live near Yosemite, which really is in the middle of nowhere (or everywhere depending on how you are thinking about it!?)
Is there a problem with Epson service?
If i buy it online or in San Francisco what will my approach to service look like?
Is Canon a better choice service-wise?
Since my plan is basically straight landscapes, what specific features should i be looking for in a printer?

If you are near Yosemite you may also be near Oakhurst which means you are in close proximity to two excellent, and related, printing houses.

http://www.westcoastimaging.com/#intro

http://www.aspencreekphoto.com/

Those guys are excellent and you might want to do a careful cost evaluation on having custom prints done versus doing your own printing.  Personally, I love the immediacy and satisfaction of doing my own large format prints but I'm not sure it makes financial sense. 

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 04:02:54 am »

I don't think that you have really answered the question on what you mean by "large".
Although the P800 is a large format printer it is 17" wide and that's it. If you need more then it's out.
Personally I have the 17" 3880 and a 17" print a metre or more wide is a big print.
If you are doing canvas though then you only get about 14" which is not much.

Also how many are you going to print? Printing is expensive if you don't do enough to get value from it. If you are not doing at least a couple a week then a lab is probably cheaper.

Rather than getting a RIP in the Designer edition consider just buying Mirage Print or some similar pseudo RIP. Does everything and makes life easy.

Why are you running OSX 10.7? It was awful and ever OS since had been better. If you can upgrade do so to Yosemite or El Capitan.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 12:44:53 pm »

your options open to an Epson P7000 or a Canon Pro-2000, both of which handle sheets and rolls. Both are excellent printers. Both will deliver fine colour and superb image detail.
Seems an Epson p6000 would also do nicely?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 01:09:33 pm »

Seems an Epson p6000 would also do nicely?

Yes I agree, but two less inks. Most likely doesn't matter for a great many prints, but I was thinking landscapes with rich colouers (e.g sunrises, sunsets, etc.) where that extra bit of colour gamut could be useful.

tonyrom

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 01:27:01 pm »

I agree with Mark.  I had a 6000 and it got returned and I purchased a 7000.  Also, if you plan to use ImagePrint, they don't support the 6000/8000 printers.

deanwork

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 04:49:43 pm »

I thought you couldn't print landscapes on Epson printers. Something about the software....

BradSmith

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 05:15:20 pm »

I thought you couldn't print landscapes on Epson printers. Something about the software....

Huh?????????????

deanwork

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 05:24:58 pm »

Oh yea, that's probably just the European models.

Huh?????????????
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up