Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waterproof print?  (Read 1788 times)

howardm

Waterproof print?
« on: September 29, 2016, 09:25:53 am »

I had a print (Canon PRO-100 & Canon Glossy II paper) that was accidentally left out in the rain.

To my surprise, while wet or even after drying, I saw no drips/runs/flaws in the print which in my mind is surprising
considering the nature of aqueous inks.

Can someone explain?  (no loupe checking was done).

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: Waterproof print?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:10:07 am »

I had a print (Canon PRO-100 & Canon Glossy II paper) that was accidentally left out in the rain.
To my surprise, while wet or even after drying, I saw no drips/runs/flaws in the print which in my mind is surprising
considering the nature of aqueous inks.
Can someone explain?  (no loupe checking was done).

It may sound weird at first but pigments are not water soluble, they remain on suspension and that is why pigmented inks tend to clog and separate and why we always advise agitating the carts periodically. Once dry it is easier to have water damage to the paper than to the print itself. That is not the case with most dye based inks.

MHMG

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 10:47:41 am »

The Canon Pro-100 uses dye-based inks. The dyes are sensitive to the pH of their environment. Some colors are more sensitive than others. The Canon glossy paper sets the dye environment in the ink receptor layer at slightly acidic to help stabilize the dyes even if the paper core is buffered slightly alkaline. Your rain water was probably slightly acidic (very common in our modern industrial age) which helped to prevent the dyes from migrating further into the ink receptor layer(s).  With pH neutral or slightly alkaline water or other solvents (e.g. glass cleaner with ammonia) you will indeed observe noticeable color shifts with Pro-100 prints, and I haven't found a post-treatment protective print spray (e.g. Premier Print Shield, HN protective Spray, etc) that doesn't shift the colors and final image quality somewhat for the worse.  Water spots on dye-based inkjet prints typically produce small circular tidal marks in the image at the very least once they dry if the pH of the liquid is not below 7, i.e on the acidic side of the pH scale.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 12:42:12 pm by MHMG »

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 11:52:21 am »

The Canon Pro-100 uses dye-based inks.

Hello Mark,
I had to read it 4 times to actually read "hundred", I was reading "Pro 1000"... I guess my mind is playing tricks as I am waiting my Pro 1000 to arrive.
Excellent info about the pH. Thanks.

MHMG

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 12:38:31 pm »

Hello Mark,
I had to read it 4 times to actually read "hundred", I was reading "Pro 1000"... I guess my mind is playing tricks as I am waiting my Pro 1000 to arrive.
Excellent info about the pH. Thanks.

The Pro-1000 is now in house at Aardenburg Imaging. I love the build quality of the Pro-1000, and it's a joy to print on this printer, plus the margin restrictions are far less daunting that what Canon imposed on the Pro-1, 10, and 100 series, so I'd recommend it in spades over it's 13 inch siblings.  I just hope the light fastness properties of the new ink set do not disappoint. Testing at Aardenburg to commence very soon :)

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 03:14:57 pm »

I just hope the light fastness properties of the new ink set do not disappoint. Testing at Aardenburg to commence very soon :)

Now that is good news!!! Just out of curiosity, I get the whole concept of megalux/hours exposure but never really thought about actual time. How long it takes to advance on each testing step?
Thanks.

MHMG

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 05:32:02 pm »

Now that is good news!!! Just out of curiosity, I get the whole concept of megalux/hours exposure but never really thought about actual time. How long it takes to advance on each testing step?
Thanks.

Not quite sure what you mean about advancing in each testing step. There is a lot of initial work that goes into sample preparation, documentation, and color measurements that must take place, but once in test, it becomes a simple function of light intensity and time on the test units. I'm already well along in the initial sample printing, measurement, and documentation related to new Pro-1000 print samples about to go into testing.

My light fade units produce 10,000-12,000 lux light intensity on the samples whereas some commercial light fade test units will deliver 100,000 lux intensity or higher light intensity to deliver much shorter test times, but they often lose control of both sample temperature and moisture content in the sample which are both key variables in accelerated light fade tests.  I also add some dark time to ensure sample moisture content reconditioning which is also essential to simulate real world environments, so 10 megalux hours of light exposure accrues in about two months on my test units. Good pigmented ink sets deserve testing to a minimum of 200 megalux hours, so we are talking about total light fade test cycles verging on four years in test at Aardenburg Imaging! However, the good news is that the I* metric I use for color and tonal accuracy measurements is perceptually linear, so we can measure and report solid trends emerging from the testing of high stability inks in as little as 20-30 megalux hours. Hence, about six months from now we will have some interesting results that Canon has so far failed to tell us about the new Lucia Pro ink longevity on various media.

kind regards,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 05:37:21 pm by MHMG »

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 07:00:38 pm »

(...) so 10 megalux hours of light exposure accrues in about two months on my test units.
That is what I was asking, how long it takes to complete a 10 megalux hours step.
Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up