Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Even more problems with Hasselblad  (Read 6514 times)

ericevans

Even more problems with Hasselblad
« on: June 28, 2006, 11:46:38 pm »

What is wrong with service people . I had a computer person working on my system and they did me a favor and plugged my cables back in . They broke a usb port and plugged a firewire in upside down on a 10K piece of gear running power through a part of the cable that should not have power . I call the company that built the scanner and they say someone plugged your firewire in wrong if it does not work as that is the only thing that could cause that . I looked at the cable and sure enough it was plugged in wrong . I asked if they would write a report and they said no problem , this happens to scanners all the time . Now I pay for the repair and now they refuse to write anything more than scanner had a firewire problem and needed a new board and charged me $1600 to replace the board . This really sucks . They lied to me because I said if you cant write the report I will hire someone else to trace the problem and repair it and they say no problem . I need to sue the company that damaged it and now I get to send it to an electrical engineer for $3-500 so I can have them tell me what I already know . The company that built the scanner says they have no equipment to diagnose problems on a board with and they only replace parts until the scanner works . What the hell kind of service department is this ? I bet when the engineer looks at the board he will be able to repair the burned part instead on an entire board .

Where the hell is the customer service ? Why can't a tech that tells you there is only one thing that can cause that problem write it down on a piece of paper so you can get your money back for the repair ? I wonder if they are covering their asses on a known design flaw ? Does anyone know of other Imacon owners that have had this happen to their scanners ?

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 07:00:35 am »

Who's John Galt?

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 09:01:26 am »

Where the hell is the customer service ? Why can't a tech that tells you there is only one thing that can cause that problem write it down on a piece of paper so you can get your money back for the repair ? I wonder if they are covering their asses on a known design flaw ? Does anyone know of other Imacon owners that have had this happen to their scanners ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69401\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric:

This is not an Imacon issue, nor is it a scanner issue. It's a firewire issue. The same thing can happen with other firewire devices. We sell Leaf digital backs and Leaf explicitly cauutions about plugging in the firewire cable backwards that it will short out that port.

Who did you speak with in tech support at Hasselblad? There shouldn't be any problem getting that document. Let me know - contact me offline if you like - shendrix@ppratlanta.com.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

ericevans

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 05:50:44 pm »

Eric:

This is not an Imacon issue, nor is it a scanner issue. It's a firewire issue. The same thing can happen with other firewire devices. We sell Leaf digital backs and Leaf explicitly cauutions about plugging in the firewire cable backwards that it will short out that port.

Who did you speak with in tech support at Hasselblad? There shouldn't be any problem getting that document. Let me know - contact me offline if you like - shendrix@ppratlanta.com.

Thanks,
Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69514\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The only thing they really want to say is that the firewire port was bad . I did finally get a statement that said it could happen but that it was very unlikely to happen . The thing that really makes me mad is that William in the service department told me this happens all the time and that he had no problem writing the statement and after the repair and taking my $1600 he suddenly loses the ability to write without permission from his boss . When this happened he was the one I talked to on the phone and told him that when the machine powers on the software does not recognize it . He said to check the firewire to see if it was inserted correctly and it was not . The computer tech was standing there while I was on the phone with Hasselblad and he had a sudden urge to leave when I told him he had plugged it in wrong .

I know of a few people that rent scanners and I am contacting them as well . What happens when they rent a scanner and it gets hooked up wrong , is Imacon going to tell them to basically piss off as well ? How many of the digital backs have protection to prevent the damage from being more than just a firewire port ? Do the Hasselblad backs have anything to protect them should they be plugged in wrong ?

ericevans

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 08:26:57 pm »

I set the scanner up today and installed a new firewire card and cable . I hit the preview button after installing the software and I get scanner not found . I had to go through and load the software to the scanner as it looks like Imacon didn't even bother to do that . Even loading the newest version of software the scanner did not show so it looks to me like they replaced the board and shipped it . The Hasselblad tech told me that he did not even do a test scan before boxing it up . When I bought the scanner I loaded the disc and installed the software and the scanner showed up but I guess if you send them a repair they don't have time to bother with loading software or testing the scanner .

What an amazing company !

RicAgu

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 12:04:44 am »

Who the hell sticks in a firewire backwards? and that it happens regularly floor me!  Especially a tech place!  I have had some pretty stupid bonehead asistants and interns.  But that is a new one.

The only fire wire device i had a problem with was a hard drive that was pulled before it was unmounted.  I plug and unpplug three to four hard drives a day five days a week.  Never had a problem.  Other than some SHITE maxtor drive taking a crap. I also move an Imacon PIII SCSI connector between three machines with no problems.

Imacon should provide the letter if they said they would.   Let me know the name of that tech place so i don't ever use it.

What is wrong with service people . I had a computer person working on my system and they did me a favor and plugged my cables back in . They broke a usb port and plugged a firewire in upside down on a 10K piece of gear running power through a part of the cable that should not have power . I call the company that built the scanner and they say someone plugged your firewire in wrong if it does not work as that is the only thing that could cause that . I looked at the cable and sure enough it was plugged in wrong . I asked if they would write a report and they said no problem , this happens to scanners all the time . Now I pay for the repair and now they refuse to write anything more than scanner had a firewire problem and needed a new board and charged me $1600 to replace the board . This really sucks . They lied to me because I said if you cant write the report I will hire someone else to trace the problem and repair it and they say no problem . I need to sue the company that damaged it and now I get to send it to an electrical engineer for $3-500 so I can have them tell me what I already know . The company that built the scanner says they have no equipment to diagnose problems on a board with and they only replace parts until the scanner works . What the hell kind of service department is this ? I bet when the engineer looks at the board he will be able to repair the burned part instead on an entire board .

Lester

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 04:05:59 pm »

Yip! the firewire plug is a bad design, I plug a hard drive backward by mistake, it was my first and last time I did it. Now I make sure it correct before plugging it in. For some reason some fireware plug goes both ways, this should never happen. You cannot plug a USB backward. (maybe you can, but not me)
I am a old fart, over 60

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 04:53:36 pm »

I wonder if they are covering their asses on a known design flaw ?

I would guess so. Firewire plug has an asymmetrical shape designed to prevent improper insertion. Unfortunately some manufacturers have used poorly designed jacks that will push apart permitting reverse insertion. A proper firewire jack should be a solid shell, not split. Some Mac's had the same problem and Apple redesigned the jack. I'd be going after Imacon rather than the tech who inserted it backwards - although that was rather stupid it shouldn't have gone in. I'll admit to trying various plugs/jacks including USB, FW, and ethernet, in multiple orientations when in a hard to reach/see location like the back of my computer and have never had a problem.

Aside from the cheap jack issue, FW data lines really should be protected but I doubt that many, if any, are. Such is the result of trying to make everything as cheap(ly) as possible.

- DL
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 05:09:43 pm by dlashier »
Pages: [1]   Go Up