Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 2015.7 Comedy of Errors  (Read 15150 times)

ButchM

Re: Lightroom 2015.7 Comedy of Errors
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2016, 11:12:14 am »

I think this pressure to appease users that purchase new camera models as soon as they are released is compromising the testing of new features and bug fixes, as evidenced by the problems and new bugs that get introduced with each and every update.

Not really. There is zero pressure for Adobe to release a specific new feature with any particular update. We users are not privy to upcoming new features and therefore do not expect those features on any type of timetable whatsoever ... so we can't pressure Adobe to release them prematurely. Any type of rush to offer new features is self-imposed by the management at Adobe, not as a result of customer pressure. For example, I'm not aware of anyone pressuring Adobe to release the Dehaze feature before it was offered. It could have come in v2015.7 if need be. No one was expecting it in 2015.1 and would be none the wiser if it came later had it required more time to polish and fine-tune.

I do agree that it may be beneficial to separate new camera support and lens profiles from new feature offerings and general bug fixes. Although, customer pressure for new camera support has never seemed to influence release dates for those quarterly releases. They have been that way since the very early days of ACR/Lr.

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2016, 02:46:54 pm »

In case anyone else is having similar problems the graphics card problem is solved by rolling back two driver releases and the droplet issue by reinstalling photoshop.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

davidedric

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2016, 08:53:34 am »

Though there may be no specific pressure to implement new features on a given date, no-one can doubt that strategically Adobe want as many customers on subscription as possible.  I suggest that new features are not introduced mainly to satisfy existing subscribers, but to attract perpetual users and new customers to adopt the subscription model.  As usual, this is driven by marketing not engineering.

You can call it selfish, but after a working lifetime in application software, I have never, and never would, implement a new release of anything on day 1.  I find it incredible to read a post from someone for whom Lightroom is at the centre of their business bemoaning that a new new release has stopped them working.

Dave

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2016, 10:21:14 am »

Though there may be no specific pressure to implement new features on a given date, no-one can doubt that strategically Adobe want as many customers on subscription as possible.  I suggest that new features are not introduced mainly to satisfy existing subscribers, but to attract perpetual users and new customers to adopt the subscription model.  As usual, this is driven by marketing not engineering.

Hi David,

It's obvious that they are in it for the money, but there are different ways of achieving that. Some do it by winning the sympathy of loyal and future customers, and others do it by acting as a monopolist and creating obfuscation and obstacles.

You can call it selfish, but after a working lifetime in application software, I have never, and never would, implement a new release of anything on day 1.  I find it incredible to read a post from someone for whom Lightroom is at the centre of their business bemoaning that a new new release has stopped them working.

While I agree that there is a risk involved with being an early adopter, in this case Adobe said there was no issue other than what was caused by Epson. The truth only came out after many people doing sanity checks on their own workflow and materials, thus wasting money and other resources. Once, after a relatively long time they acknowledged their own role in yet another bad quality check before rolling out an update (not a new release/upgrade, but mostly 'bug fixes'), only then the fix was relatively soon to follow.

Software bugs can be complicated and they may take a while for some customers to detect, so how long should one wait before starting to use the updated features? Isn't the whole idea of the subscription model that one is kept up to date without have to wait? And again, if everybody waits, nobody will find the bugs that Adobe should have.

Therefore, the only solution is for Adobe to sincerely own the problems they create themselves, and do their darnedest to avoid them in the future.

Otherwise customers will start looking elsewhere. On1 Photo 10 seems like a potent alternative for most LR users once it is established that their Raw converter (to be released soon) is good enough for prime time. The introduction price (expired yesterday but might return at a later date) is less than a year's subscription, and the license is perpetual. Other competitors will also start offering DAM + editing capable solutions, so Adobe better ramp up their efforts in taking customers more serious (not only their bank accounts).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

chez

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2016, 12:09:48 pm »

I suggest that if there is an alternative for people then rather than continually moaning about LR, just go and use the alternative. Seems like all we hear is the same people constantly complaining...why not put your money where your mouths is and just use another solution.

I did this with my camera gear and moved to another brand rather than a constant complaint of my existing system.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2016, 12:16:26 pm »

I suggest that if there is an alternative for people then rather than continually moaning about LR, just go and use the alternative. Seems like all we hear is the same people constantly complaining...why not put your money where your mouths is and just use another solution.

Yes, we already know that you like the way Adobe treats other people, you are not affected, so screw the rest.

Cheers,
Bart

chez

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2016, 12:23:48 pm »

Yes, we already know that you like the way Adobe treats other people, you are not affected, so screw the rest.

Cheers,
Bart

Exactly...if I was affected over and over like some here, I wouldn't come continuously cry about it on the net, I would move to something else or deal with Adobe directly. Here people start to sound like whiners.

rdonson

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2016, 12:33:40 pm »

There is a way to effect change.  Get on the Adobe forums, fill out bug reports, etc.  If enough people report a bug or desire a change they won't ignore it.  They may not fix it overnight though but keep on them.
Regards,
Ron

ButchM

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2016, 02:45:07 pm »

Exactly...if I was affected over and over like some here, I wouldn't come continuously cry about it on the net, I would move to something else or deal with Adobe directly. Here people start to sound like whiners.

There is another side to the equation ... You could join the effort to enlighten your friends at Adobe to do a better job ... If they could step up their game even marginally in this respect, that would a long way to silence the naysayers in short order.

Just because you are satisfied with lower expectations, it is rather sophomoric  to equate our disappointment with Adobe's recent level of quality with a 'love it or leave it' point of view. Because, eventually, if this attitude persists, it will cause issues for you as well. You can't beat the odds forever.

While you may be dismayed with what you perceive as whining, you are also not compelled to read it.

ButchM

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2016, 02:58:47 pm »

There is a way to effect change.  Get on the Adobe forums, fill out bug reports, etc.  If enough people report a bug or desire a change they won't ignore it.  They may not fix it overnight though but keep on them.

I can't speak for others, but I routinely express my disappointment on several Adobe forum categories when warranted .... Even in the light of mounting contrary evidence that Adobe is not putting forth their best effort ... I am told by others that frequent there too, it's more or less my fault for downloading the update or expecting to use the software so soon to the release date ...

So, if we all diligently follow that sage advice ... And ... If no users download the update ... How is Adobe ever going to be aware they have errors to correct? If we all do follow that advice, what are we paying a subscription fee for?

rdonson

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2016, 05:16:49 pm »

Regards,
Ron

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2016, 06:16:09 pm »

Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report

Hi Ron,

Yes, that's the formal process. If one thinks one has a bug to report, send it to Adobe and they say they normally will not reply to you (why not?). "We normally do not send personal replies to feature requests or bug reports."

Apparently, that process is not working too well. In fact, things seem to be getting worse. Contrary to the past, each recent update seems to break something that used to work before. To me, that means that users need to get more vocal for their own benefit (rather than sitting back and wait for others to do the work for them).

Cheers,
Bart

ButchM

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2016, 07:08:37 pm »

Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report

Been there. Done that. Still doing that. No results whatsoever on several issues.

It is indeed the proper channel ...  but participation there lacks any sort of sense of accomplishment for the effort as the results speak for themselves.

rdonson

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2016, 09:30:48 pm »

I only have experience with CC PS and Lr.  Like you, I think they've taken their eye off the goal for the desktop apps.  Perhaps the same is true for the rest of the CC app family.  I don't know.

They sure rev their mobile apps and they seem to work well.  Again, I only use the mobile apps that interface well with PS and Lr.

Please don't think that I'm condoning their behavior as I'm just as frustrated by their buggy updates as everyone else. 

I still think their eye is on mobile as that seems like everyone's new mantra.  Billions of mobile devices vs millions of desktops. 

Since the normal channels aren't effective I don't know how to get their attention unless we publish the email addresses for the appropriate product managers and fill their in-boxes.
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2016, 09:33:08 pm »

AFAIK Tom Hogarty is still the head product honcho at Adobe for all things photography.

https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/author/tom-hogarty
Regards,
Ron
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up