Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spray  (Read 548 times)

seamus finn

Spray
« on: September 25, 2016, 01:27:04 pm »

-

Perhaps I should explain - it's sea spray at an old swimming pool open to the Atlantic Ocean on Ireland's west coast. The shot was taken on a stormy day when waves were pounding off the pool's steps, sending plumes of foam into the air.  I managed to get this image of sud-like foam flying around momentarily before disappearing.  I thought the usual white plume spouting upwards would be a visual cliche so I tried, perhaps unsuccessfully, for something different.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:51:00 pm by seamus finn »

N80

Re: Spray
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 06:02:48 pm »

I think the B&W version has to stand as an abstract because I could not discern what I was looking at without reading your description. However, as an abstract I think it works. The color version is less abstract as the color and form of the sea gives a little bit of context...but not enough to put the whole scene into perspective....all of which is to say that I like the B&W as an abstract.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 07:57:18 pm »

I think George has a point, Seamus. The B&W is pure abstract. I prefer the color because I'm not usually big on abstracts. The color version tells me what's going on.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 10:25:30 pm »

Not sure which is laying claim, Iron Maiden playing in the night or S.T. Coleridge, "the ice did spit with a thunder fit; the helmsman steered us through"..."tracks of shining white, and when they reared, the elfish light Fell off in hoary flakes."
Much the same here tonight as out of the norwest it blows almost on cue as the sun slipped off south of the equator. But what night skies!
All said Seamus, your spirit conversion to black and white calls to mind the old engravings that chorused his words with such dark beauty. Lovely,
Patricia
A common woman~
Pages: [1]   Go Up