Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Room Lighting While Measuring With i1 Pro2  (Read 1325 times)

HowardG

• http://www.hgrillphotographic.com
Room Lighting While Measuring With i1 Pro2
« on: September 25, 2016, 09:55:40 am »

I have recently started making my own profiles using the i1.  A question occurred to me while making a profile this morning.  Does the room lighting in the room where you are using the device to read the patches have any effect on the quality of the profile or is the device basically isolating the patch from the ambient light when making the measurement.  I would suspect the latter, but wondering if the ambient makes a difference.

Howard

Doug Gray

Re: Room Lighting While Measuring With i1 Pro2
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 11:32:46 am »

I have recently started making my own profiles using the i1.  A question occurred to me while making a profile this morning.  Does the room lighting in the room where you are using the device to read the patches have any effect on the quality of the profile or is the device basically isolating the patch from the ambient light when making the measurement.  I would suspect the latter, but wondering if the ambient makes a difference.

Howard

No, and potentially Yes.

It makes no difference when measuring printed patches when you are making a printer profile. The light from an I1 Pro is extremely bright on the patch, orders of magnitude more than any reasonable ambient. So any leakage is not going to be measurable.

However, when measuring patches on a monitor it can make a difference though usually it isn't significant. There can be a small amount of light leaking from the ambient that could affect measurements of the dark patches if the room was really brightly lit, like sunlight from a window to the side of your screen. Monitors have a glass interface and it's possible to have tiny amounts of light making its way into the sensor. I haven't ever seen any difference though.

HowardG

• http://www.hgrillphotographic.com
Re: Room Lighting While Measuring With i1 Pro2
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 02:47:09 pm »

Thanks Doug. I appreciate the info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up