Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Bus Station  (Read 910 times)

N80

The Bus Station
« on: September 24, 2016, 08:54:50 am »

This is the Greyhound station in Clarksdale, Mississippi a small, economically depressed town in the heart of the delta. It is often considered the birth place of the blues. I lived there as a child.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: The Bus Station
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 09:56:04 am »

And this was the way out...

N80

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 10:10:56 am »

And this was the way out...

Yes. And the double irony is that on the door you can see that it was made into a tourist information center...which was also no longer in operation. Maybe I should title this one :No Way Out.
George

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 10:17:30 am »

There's always a way out. Booze. Drugs. Swallowing your gun. . .
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

N80

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 11:16:42 am »

There's always a way out. Booze. Drugs. Swallowing your gun. . .

It also has a high murder rate per capita largely due to the booze and the drugs.

There is an interesting (recent) book about the general area around Clarksdale by a British author who buys an old house and moves in. It is called Dispatches from Pluto by Richard Grant. It gives a very even handed outsider's view of a region that is deeply complex and defies easy stereotypes.

The amount of extraordinary people who came from this region is legendary and hard to explain.

They also have world famous tamales.
George

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 11:59:29 am »

It also has a high murder rate per capita largely due to the booze and the drugs.

There is an interesting (recent) book about the general area around Clarksdale by a British author who buys an old house and moves in. It is called Dispatches from Pluto by Richard Grant. It gives a very even handed outsider's view of a region that is deeply complex and defies easy stereotypes.

The amount of extraordinary people who came from this region is legendary and hard to explain.

They also have world famous tamales.

I have memories of the area, having spent 2 years in nearby Oxford.

BobDavid

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 01:30:12 pm »

This tune came to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud2mvXZR470

I realize your photo was taken in Clarksdale.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 02:41:40 pm »

N80

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 05:57:12 pm »

I have memories of the area, having spent 2 years in nearby Oxford.

We started our trip in Oxford. Coming down out of the hills from Oxford into the delta is like entering a different world. Well, not like entering a different world it is a different world. This was one of my favorite spots in Oxford. He is my literary hero.

George

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 03:56:55 pm »

Don't folks also leave some booze at the supposed resting place of Robert Johnson?

Hard times can produce great art, possibly because ease isn't really always all that conducive to staying power and determination; if you don't really have to do something...

Rob

N80

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 05:58:59 pm »

Don't folks also leave some booze at the supposed resting place of Robert Johnson?

Not sure. According to Wikipedia there are three grave sites for him. Historians believe he is probably buried in an unmarked grave in a potters field somewhere.

The tradition for Faulkner's grave is to spill some whiskey on it to share it with him. I was a bit disappointed to see the cheap bourbon mini bottles that were left when I was there but I did not bring anything to share with him myself so cannot complain.

When he died his star was in decline and his wife was relatively poor. Very few attended his funeral.

Hard times can produce great art, possibly because ease isn't really always all that conducive to staying power and determination; if you don't really have to do something...

Rob

Agreed.
George

Pages: [1]   Go Up