Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Printer properties wiped out by Win10 update  (Read 2616 times)

rebadurchee

[SOLVED] Printer properties wiped out by Win10 update
« on: September 24, 2016, 02:17:27 am »

I just tried to print from LRCC on my Epson 3880.  I had stored in Printer Properties a number of custom properties bases on paper size, color or ABW, etc.  Since I, well MS upgraded me without my permission, two days ago they have all disappeared.  The print templates in LR are still there, although the color management has reverted to managed by printer, but everything in the printer properties are gone.  I can't find where they were stored or just what's going on.  This has happened before and I've had to manually redefine everything.  No fun.  Any suggestions? Thanks.

Stilson
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:30:43 am by rebadurchee »

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Printer properties wiped out by Win10 update
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 04:12:47 am »

Not really a Lightroom problem as it would be system wide.

From a quick bit of research the all the saved settings are held in a *.UCF file that configures the driver.
In Windows 7 they're stored in Program data - Epson - <model number>

It maybe that a restore from an old back up might work.

For the future it may be more prudent to export any individual custom settings to a *.ssf file which is an option in the driver. Then should problems arise again you can re-import the saved setting.

rebadurchee

Re: Printer properties wiped out by Win10 update
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 01:30:05 am »

Thanks, Rhossydd!!  You nailed it.  I knew it wasn't a LR software issue but I thought some people here may have had similar problems and know the answer.  I couldn't find it on the Epson site.  There was a backup for that .ucf file in that same folder, which is the same in Win10 as it was in Win7.  Fortunately, I also have three other backups for my whole computer available, too.  That solved the issue. I bow to whatever direction from me that you are.

Stilson

AFairley

Re: [SOLVED] Printer properties wiped out by Win10 update
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 11:19:09 am »

OT, but the latest Win 10 major update screwed up some data files on my computer also.  Fortunately I had just done a boot drive backup.  From now on, I have updates set to manual and will do a full C drive backup before updating.

rebadurchee

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 03:21:14 pm »

I didn't think I'd be revisiting this post again, but... 

Today I tried to print and my printer settings were gone, again.  I looked in the directory that Rhossydd (posted below) had turned me on to and the *.ucf file was simply gone.  Vanished.  No, I didn't delete it accidentally since I never go that far into the weeds unless forced to.

Fortunately, I had a backup of that file, having learned from experience, and I can now print with all my settings intact.  I don't know why that file disappeared, but I am going to postulate that it was one of those 'drip-drip-drip' Win10 non-optional "updates" that can wreak havoc.  Color me disgruntled, but without a proven target.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 10:08:15 am »

Back to your first post, I just had the same issue but only on my 9900, the 7800 custom sizes were left alone. 

This along with a few other glaring problems, I should have stayed at win 7 on this production PC.

And many thanks to Rhossydd, for the tip on how to get them back, I had them on a older drive image also.
Paul C
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:13:08 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up