Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Beyond the Print  (Read 21407 times)

vdemczuk@tpg.com.au

Beyond the Print
« on: September 24, 2016, 01:34:00 am »

I note the theme on LL this year is "The Print".  Paper prints have been with us for a very long time. We have worked on "capturing the moment" and producing the "essence" of "the moment" via a Print.  I think at this point in the 21st Century that we can do better.  Many subjects do not have only one decisive moment. For example, a sunset has a "period" when it is "captivating".  In the past we had to pick one "moment" because we could only reproduce one moment as a paper print on a wall.
Electronic Displays are now of comparable (or better) quality to prints (at normal viewing distance) but have the ability to change images.  I suggest that we work on the "art" of including change in our photography.
I am not talking about video.  I am talking about evolving the static print to include change. One example is that each time we walk into a room the displayed image is of a different moment in e.g. a sunset.

Rob C

Re: Beyond the Print
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 03:57:24 am »

I note the theme on LL this year is "The Print".  Paper prints have been with us for a very long time. We have worked on "capturing the moment" and producing the "essence" of "the moment" via a Print.  I think at this point in the 21st Century that we can do better.  Many subjects do not have only one decisive moment. For example, a sunset has a "period" when it is "captivating".  In the past we had to pick one "moment" because we could only reproduce one moment as a paper print on a wall.
Electronic Displays are now of comparable (or better) quality to prints (at normal viewing distance) but have the ability to change images.  I suggest that we work on the "art" of including change in our photography.
I am not talking about video.  I am talking about evolving the static print to include change. One example is that each time we walk into a room the displayed image is of a different moment in e.g. a sunset.

You mean you want us to buy yet more gadgets?

No thanks!

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 06:09:18 am »

It's already the case here. I regularly change the prints pinned to the toilet door...

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 10:08:16 am »

I read you, Victor, and for something like a sunset I think you have a point. But with photography's apex -- street photography -- there's a decisive moment; a single one that conveys the point. HCB's "Behind the Gare Saint-Lazare" is a classic example. A graduating series showing the guy on his way down to the water simply wouldn't be the equivalent of a sunset.

But having said that, welcome to LuLa! Show us some of your work.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

vdemczuk@tpg.com.au

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 12:18:26 pm »

My original post was supposed to include the following link which expands on my argument and includes examples of my work.  https://www.changingstaticimages.com

vdemczuk@tpg.com.au

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 12:43:36 pm »

In reply to RSL, from a perception aspect it could be argued that humans capture the visual world  in "snapshots". Part of my point is that a sequence of these better (or as well as) captures many situations than a single image.  Electronic "picture frames" give us the added capability to display those many images in comparison to a single paper image.  In the street photography example, if a video was taken of a scene, individual frames could be selected that better cover the "ambience".  I believe wedding photographers are starting to use this technique with the quality available from 4K video.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 05:37:32 pm »

It seems to me that you are precisely taking about video. Or a slideshow. And to me, one of the main beauties of the still photograph is that is *has* captured one specific moment, and that moment will be there forever in the print.

Victor_John

• Changing Static Images
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 06:48:42 pm »

In reply to PeterAit, video is usually presented as an image sequence of 10-50 frames per second.  What I am talking about is an image sequence of 1 per hour (approximately).  It could be described as a "slide show", but that is a previous century term - we no longer use "slides".

Victor_John

• Changing Static Images
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 07:06:06 pm »

PeterAit commented: " And to me, one of the main beauties of the still photograph is that is *has* captured one specific moment, and that moment will be there forever in the print."
I agree that a single image can capture the "essence" of a situation.  Art and Photo galleries are full of awesome images. I am talking about an extension of an image display that becomes possible with an electronic "picture frame", that is how some situations can be better represented by a sequence of images.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 03:37:37 am »

What I am talking about is an image sequence of 1 per hour (approximately).  It could be described as a "slide show", but that is a previous century term - we no longer use "slides".

But the video (there really is no other word for it) on your home page is the exact opposite: a time-lapse.

Jeremy

Victor_John

• Changing Static Images
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 04:22:48 am »

But the video (there really is no other word for it) on your home page is the exact opposite: a time-lapse.

Jeremy
I agonised about presenting the image sequences as videos, fearing readers would get the wrong idea.  I eventually decided to leave the videos because they quickly convey the range of images in a sequence.  I doubt anyone would watch on the web an image that only changes once an hour!  The concept is an evolution of a print on a wall that never changes to images that are different each time you look at them, but still of the same subject.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 04:34:28 am »

It is a good idea but I don't see it instead of a print, but in addition to the prints. I agree with Russ that some images that don't need a sequence.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 05:18:09 am »

Yes, I can see the interest. It seems to me that is is a slide-show, just done with newer technology that makes it more practical in more settings.

There are of course pros and cons, aside from the cost etc: a photo i viewed for as long as the viewer wants. A sequence of photos, unless you offer a button to the viewer, requires watching for the duration of the sequence. It's a disadvantage shared with video.

They are different, but legitimate ways of showing images, me thinks.

Victor_John

• Changing Static Images
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 09:21:56 am »

Yes, I can see the interest. It seems to me that is is a slide-show, just done with newer technology that makes it more practical in more settings.

There are of course pros and cons, aside from the cost etc: a photo i viewed for as long as the viewer wants. A sequence of photos, unless you offer a button to the viewer, requires watching for the duration of the sequence. It's a disadvantage shared with video.

They are different, but legitimate ways of showing images, me thinks.

In regard to cost, LCD devices are now available at similar cost to a framed print.

My experience with the sequences is that each image stands on its own (or should), one does not need to see the full sequence at one sitting (like a video).  If the sequence takes a month, each hour/day can be a new pleasure.

In any case the software controlling the sequence allows image selection  via "soft" buttons.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 10:13:04 am »

On my walls I have about a dozen 17 x 22 prints matted and framed 22 x 27, and a couple dozen at various smaller sizes. I don't need software for them. I don't need to plug them in. I don't need to change batteries. I don't need to worry about a power failure or a destructive power surge during one of Florida's powerful thunderstorms. They all have scenes that remain static and are exactly what I was after when I shot them.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:05:59 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 10:22:17 am »

In reply to PeterAit, video is usually presented as an image sequence of 10-50 frames per second.  What I am talking about is an image sequence of 1 per hour (approximately).  It could be described as a "slide show", but that is a previous century term - we no longer use "slides".

Oh we already have what you are talking about - those digital photo frames where you insert a memory card with photos and program it to cycle thru them every X minutes.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 11:44:59 am »

On a sixty inch LCD panel next to my kitchen I have a slide show comprising about a thousand images.  It's a never ending source of delight to me, my family and all who visit.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 11:53:50 am »

On a sixty inch LCD panel next to my kitchen I have a slide show comprising about a thousand images.  It's a never ending source of delight to me, my family and all who visit.

Do you always have the Panel engaged, or is it when you feel a viewing coming on? Just asking for practicality...and is this the screens sole function?

Peter

Victor_John

• Changing Static Images
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 12:03:58 pm »

Exactly - I call this "Themes" on my site. 

What I also propose, from a "Style" view is that electronic picture frames allow us to incorporate how a scene can CHANGE with time or viewpoint via a sequence of images.

Victor_John

• Changing Static Images
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 12:14:35 pm »

Do you always have the Panel engaged, or is it when you feel a viewing coming on? Just asking for practicality...and is this the screens sole function?

Peter

I have one display from Electric Objects [www.electricobjects.com] that can turn on and off on a timer, so it is off when I sleep.  It also adjusts its brightness so it is bright in day time and suitably dimmer at night.

When an electronic display is being used as a digital picture frame, that is its purpose. I have some screens that are multi-purpose, connected to media boxes that can be used to display other content.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up