Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: FUJI GFX camera system VS. competition... is there any?  (Read 20045 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: FUJI GFX camera system VS. competition... is there any?
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 07:19:39 am »

Hi,

Neither the D1X or the GFX are just a camera, they are both new camera systems that need new lenses.

I don't know if Phase One is interested in building a 44x33 mm MF system. For Fuji and Hasselblad it obviously makes sense to build a "small sensor" mirrorless MFD system. But I think Phase One is more focused on high end full frame 645 MFD.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Theodoros

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 08:35:09 am »

Hi,

Neither the D1X or the GFX are just a camera, they are both new camera systems that need new lenses.

I don't know if Phase One is interested in building a 44x33 mm MF system. For Fuji and Hasselblad it obviously makes sense to build a "small sensor" mirrorless MFD system. But I think Phase One is more focused on high end full frame 645 MFD.

Best regards
Erik

...."need" new lenses? ....Many will be happy with their existing line of lenses for MF and use them on the FGX too... Fuji people where clear in photokina that they look for a wider compatibility with other platform lenses...
Among the strongest advantages of the GFX is that it can provide (mechanically) a platform compatible with almost all previously existing lines of lenses.... Add to this the 12 CPU contacts and the size and one can end up using a platform for all his photography and even replace his FF platform and then one line of lenses to even share the same with his technical or view camera...

IMO, for phase to come up with a mirrorless offering, they have to change their business policies altogether... and this isn't only related with pricing, it (mainly) has to do with compatibility and support of the existing base of MF gear from third party makers...

EDIT: ...and in addition, P1 has to support the (inevitable) convergence of technologies... IMO, there is no future for Hi end makers that ignore motion picture in their offerings...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 08:42:54 am by Theodoros »

hubell

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 02:05:46 pm »

IMO, for phase to come up with a mirrorless offering, they have to change their business policies altogether... and this isn't only related with pricing, it (mainly) has to do with compatibility and support of the existing base of MF gear from third party makers...

Not really. They just need to come up with a mirrorless MF system that that is a technological tour de force that allows them to sell the Phase One mirrorless system at a Phase One-type price point. The question is whether they can do that and still keep it light and portable. (They already have heavy and unwieldy well covered with the XF and the Blue Ring lenses.)

Theodoros

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 03:16:47 pm »

IMO, it's not a matter at all of what price point one may think a maker can sell at... It is rather that Sony is not making sensors to sell a few hundreds of them annually... They make sensors to make profit out of them and this means high volumes.... That's why I'm sure that the GFX 50s will soon be followed by a GFX 100s....

As for "technological tour de force"... I'm sure that Fuji's choice of the simplest possible ergonomics, aperture ring and even remove the exposure compensation dial from the GFX are as "technological tour de force" as any (real) photographer will ever need... Don't you find ALPA "technological tour de force" enough?

wallpaperviking

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2016, 06:59:16 am »

Theodoros,
                 You state in your original post that the Fuji GFX system "is compatible with leaf shutter lenses". 

Just wondering where you got this information from?  I haven't been able to find anything like this at all

If the Fuji GFX was indeed somehow compatible with leaf shutter lenses, then it would truly be an awesome all round camera!

Cheers.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2016, 07:24:32 am »

During the rollout in one of the videos and a few of the conversations with Fuji Executives, they commented on adapters for 3rd party lenses.  The use of leaf shutter lenses was mentioned as something that was being considered.  Fuji-Rumors picked that up in one of their reports.  They are more like a early news source for Fuji, as their info is around 90% correct.

http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-gfx-50s-the-facts-the-future-and-about-leaf-shutter-lenses-electronic-shutter-fuji-designed-sensor-more/

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Theodoros

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2016, 11:15:40 am »

This is the most detail report on the GFX yet... It is result out of interviews with Fuji executives and examines the capabilities of the system for the future in depth: https://fuji-x-secrets.net/2016/09/21/inside-the-fujifilm-gfx-50s/ The compatibility with Hasselblad HC/HCD lenses, the will of Fuji to allow third party lenses as to be compatible with the platform and the inclusion of 12 (!!!) CPU lens contacts as to make (dedicated) compatibility with third party lenses as easy as possible are clearly mentioned.

wallpaperviking

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 06:59:28 pm »

Very interesting times indeed! 

I cannot imagine how Hasselblad would allow the use of HC/HCD leaf shutter lenses for flash/studio work, as this seems to be one of the main advantages that the Hasselblad X1D has over the Fuji offering....

Still, I would love to see it happen as this would truly make the Fuji a great all round camera..

One other question, when they state in the article that "Fujifilm will support resolutions as high as 100 MP, which is a pretty clear hint at future GFX models with even higher sensor resolutions" are they referring to the camera having the current larger Sony sensor as found in the Phase One IQ3 back?  Or are they referring to keeping the same physical sensor size (44mm x 33mm) but having a newly designed sensor that is 100mp?

If the former was true, these new lenses would have to have been designed with this in mind right?  Can the mount/body even accommodate such a large sensor in its current state?

Thanks in advance!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2016, 02:27:10 am »

Hi,

I would be pretty sure Fuji means future sensors when they talk about 100 MP. It is very probable that we will see higher MP sensors from Sony. Upscaling the present A7rII sensor to 44x33 would yield 70 MP, but there used to be a lot of talk about a 70-75 MP 24x36 sensor. Scaling up that would yield around 100 MP.

Sony probably has a roadmap for 44x33 mm sensors and it probably has 100 MP on it, hopefully combined with phase detecting AF on sensor and electronic firs shutter curtain.

For me, the great attraction is that these cameras are designs for the future and not for the past.

Best regards
Erik

Very interesting times indeed! 

I cannot imagine how Hasselblad would allow the use of HC/HCD leaf shutter lenses for flash/studio work, as this seems to be one of the main advantages that the Hasselblad X1D has over the Fuji offering....

Still, I would love to see it happen as this would truly make the Fuji a great all round camera..

One other question, when they state in the article that "Fujifilm will support resolutions as high as 100 MP, which is a pretty clear hint at future GFX models with even higher sensor resolutions" are they referring to the camera having the current larger Sony sensor as found in the Phase One IQ3 back?  Or are they referring to keeping the same physical sensor size (44mm x 33mm) but having a newly designed sensor that is 100mp?

If the former was true, these new lenses would have to have been designed with this in mind right?  Can the mount/body even accommodate such a large sensor in its current state?

Thanks in advance!
Erik Kaffehr

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2016, 09:37:42 am »

How could Hasselblad stop the use of the leaf shutter lenses?  I am sure the necessary adapter will be made by a third party as most in the industry are.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2016, 09:54:49 am »

This is an interesting time. I currently shoot H5X and Credo, and I have 4 lenses and no interest in investing in an entirely new lens system. However, both of these cameras are extremely interesting to me. Both get me higher ISO in a smaller form factor, and in theory, both may be able to take my lenses. The X1D having a Nikon hot shoe is very appealing, however, not being able to process those photos in C1 alongside my Credo and Nikon files is a dealbreaker for me. If I can process the Fuji files in C1 and use my HC lenses, and the price is as advertised, I'll probably pick one of those up and sell my D810 which I currently only have so that on commercial work I don't drop from 40 to 20 mp if I need to use my backups.

-Doug

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2016, 04:00:16 pm »

Hi Paul,

There may be patent or intellectual property issues. But normally it seems that those issues can be handled.

Great pity that Hassy and Fuji did not share bayonet, like 4/3 systems do.

Best regards
Erik

How could Hasselblad stop the use of the leaf shutter lenses?  I am sure the necessary adapter will be made by a third party as most in the industry are.

Paul C
Erik Kaffehr

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2016, 09:25:06 pm »

Best quote of the week.

For me, the great attraction is that these cameras are designs for the future and not for the past.

Best regards
Erik

JV

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2016, 09:34:50 pm »

Paul C

Well, they can update their firmware, which seems to negatively impact the use of Hasselblad H lenses on the Leica S...:
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/265050-new-hasselblad-lenses-on-s/

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2016, 04:13:09 pm »

In thinking about this camera as a potential purchase next year (if the rumored H lens adapter is out), I'm wondering as someone who lights almost all his work, how does an EVF camera work with flash. I.e, am I going to be looking at a silhouette/dark frame through the evf before the flash goes off? Or is it TTL? Thanks!

-Doug

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2016, 04:30:48 pm »

Hi,

I don't know. On Sony you have a choice to show "picture effect" or not, or something like that. With the function set off you just see a viewfinder image.

Pretty sure the X1D has a similar functionality, but I don't actually know.

Best regards
Erik

In thinking about this camera as a potential purchase next year (if the rumored H lens adapter is out), I'm wondering as someone who lights almost all his work, how does an EVF camera work with flash. I.e, am I going to be looking at a silhouette/dark frame through the evf before the flash goes off? Or is it TTL? Thanks!

-Doug
Erik Kaffehr

Pics2

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2016, 10:53:03 am »

-Doug
With exposure preview turned off, the lcd will show you properly exposed screen based on the existing ambient light.
Which turned out to be an advantage for low light photography, since it serves like some kind of night vision, because it shows brighter picture than you could see through a regular OVF in a very low light.
If you've never used a camera with EVF before, and you are thinking about purchasing an expensive mirrorless MF, I suggest you try some cheap micro43 or something first, to get used to a EVF. Some people like it, some don't.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2016, 11:24:29 am »

With exposure preview turned off, the lcd will show you properly exposed screen based on the existing ambient light.
Which turned out to be an advantage for low light photography, since it serves like some kind of night vision, because it shows brighter picture than you could see through a regular OVF in a very low light.
If you've never used a camera with EVF before, and you are thinking about purchasing an expensive mirrorless MF, I suggest you try some cheap micro43 or something first, to get used to a EVF. Some people like it, some don't.

One thing the Fuji won't get you is the huge OVF image of the medium format SLRS.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Pics2

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2016, 02:38:41 pm »

One thing the Fuji won't get you is the huge OVF image of the medium format SLRS.

Edmund
Which is sad. It is obvious that OVF is dying.

erlingmm

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2016, 02:47:20 pm »

Which is sad. It is obvious that OVF is dying.

I will hold on to my Leica S007 as long as possible, love the OVF.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up