Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: FUJI GFX camera system VS. competition... is there any?  (Read 20047 times)

BJL

EVF images could get bigger, if there is enough demand
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2016, 10:27:10 pm »

One thing the Fuji won't get you is the huge OVF image of the medium format SLRS.

Edmund
I would think that EVF images could be made in any size, with a suitable combination of panel size, panel brightness, and magnification of the little "telescope" between the panel and the eye.  With EVFs, there is no particular connection between format size and VF image size, other than how big the users want the camera to be.  Maybe there is not currently enough demand for larger/brighter panels, but maybe there will be some day, once there are more high-end EVF cameras in formats 36x24mm and larger.

How big are the EVF images in the big digital cine-cameras?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: EVF images could get bigger, if there is enough demand
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2016, 02:34:09 am »

Hi,

They are often used with a small monitor attached to the camera.

I would suggest that power consumption may limit the brightness of EVF, as long as it is operated on battery power.

But, I am pretty sure that the future of EVFs is bright. Let's not forget that SLRs have been with us for more than 80 or even 120 years. The concept was invented 1861.

Best regards
Erik

How big are the EVF images in the big digital cine-cameras?
Erik Kaffehr

BJL

Re: EVF images could get bigger, if there is enough demand
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2016, 08:31:54 pm »

Hi,

They are often used with a small monitor attached to the camera.

I would suggest that power consumption may limit the brightness of EVF, as long as it is operated on battery power.
I was thinking specifically of "one-eyed" EVF's like the Red Bomb http://www.red.com/store/products/red-pro-evf as opposed to "two-eyed" screens. Agreed that power consumption is likely a constraint: that Red EVF is rated at 6-12W (and weighs 600g). But with formats like 44x33mm and larger, and considering the bulk of many lenses for such formats, there could be room for the batteries needed to support a big, bright EVF.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:38:22 pm by BJL »

narikin

Re: FUJI GFX camera system VS. competition... is there any?
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2016, 09:43:14 pm »

I've been wondering if Phase One will develop their own Mirrorless as well. I had the impression that the product cycle of Hasselblad and Phase One were always pretty aligned. Has anybody heard chatter about a XF-Mirrorless? ;D

I believe they will bring one out, but are waiting for the true next generation of sensor, that will have a better EVF potential ('refresh rate') and may even have a fast Electronic Shutter up to 1/1000s (much harder to achieve in larger sensors). From what I hear the next generation of MF sensors is coming sooner than we expect, with many of the improvements we hope for.  This 'cropped 645' size will jump to 80mp or more, and might allow Phase to come straight in at the high end. Though of course Fuji can upgrade easily with a camera system ready and lenses in production, too.

I'm not really prepared to step down from my IQ3100 to 50mp, but if Phase or Fuji can get an 80+mp mirrorless in 2017, I'll certainly get one.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2016, 10:06:45 am »

Hi,

My impression may be that Phase One is quite happy staying at the high end. I would also think that Sony will deliver say 140 and 200 MP sensors in full frame 645 if there is a market for them and at a profitable price point.

Best regards
Erik

I believe they will bring one out, but are waiting for the true next generation of sensor, that will have a better EVF potential ('refresh rate') and may even have a fast Electronic Shutter up to 1/1000s (much harder to achieve in larger sensors). From what I hear the next generation of MF sensors is coming sooner than we expect, with many of the improvements we hope for.  This 'cropped 645' size will jump to 80mp or more, and might allow Phase to come straight in at the high end. Though of course Fuji can upgrade easily with a camera system ready and lenses in production, too.

I'm not really prepared to step down from my IQ3100 to 50mp, but if Phase or Fuji can get an 80+mp mirrorless in 2017, I'll certainly get one.
Erik Kaffehr

Pavel

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2016, 05:50:36 pm »

All I know is that if it is anywhere close to what it looks like to be by the specs, and the body cheaper that the Hastle-blad, and it's expensive lenses  ... I'm buying.

narikin

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2016, 08:02:01 am »

I handled one the other day. A pre production prototype obviously.

Lighter than you think, but not as light as Hassy offering. If you're used to an X1Pro you'll get this.

Was impressed by the selectable full sensor AF points, a first for MF.  And the EVFs movable tilt/rotate option seems excellent. The standard lens is a bit longer than ideal -would have preferred a 50/55 on crop sensor. Battery was huge and unique to this camera. That's good (life) and bad - no alternatives, takes up a lot of space. I really think a Canon or Phase One style battery would have been fine.

Couldn't test the image quality/files obviously. No convertor even if they'd let me put an SD card in. Was reasonably quiet, but not much as new Hassy, though a 'quiet mode' might yet be in the final firmware.

It's very promising all in all. I pray for Capture One support, and for a quick upgrade of that sensor to next gen 75/80 mp soon. Late 2017 in my dreams. I've got so used to 100mp, that it's really tough to step down so much.

JeffS

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2016, 08:07:10 pm »

I handled one the other day. A pre production prototype obviously.

Lighter than you think, but not as light as Hassy offering. If you're used to an X1Pro you'll get this.

Was impressed by the selectable full sensor AF points, a first for MF.  And the EVFs movable tilt/rotate option seems excellent. The standard lens is a bit longer than ideal -would have preferred a 50/55 on crop sensor. Battery was huge and unique to this camera. That's good (life) and bad - no alternatives, takes up a lot of space. I really think a Canon or Phase One style battery would have been fine.

Couldn't test the image quality/files obviously. No convertor even if they'd let me put an SD card in. Was reasonably quiet, but not much as new Hassy, though a 'quiet mode' might yet be in the final firmware.

It's very promising all in all. I pray for Capture One support, and for a quick upgrade of that sensor to next gen 75/80 mp soon. Late 2017 in my dreams. I've got so used to 100mp, that it's really tough to step down so much.

The X1D is supposed to have selectable focus points as well in the finalized product.

The X1D shutter sound in the recent 'Hands-on Tour' video with Kevin is an obnoxiously loud clank clank (at about the 17 minute mark).....not remotely quiet if the in-person production model is anything close.  I can't imagine the GFX is even louder....at least I hope not.

Jeff

wallpaperviking

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2017, 03:39:05 pm »

Unfortunately not even the Cambo borad will work for all situations. In landscape orientation: yes. In portrait orientation: no.
I did some further research and posted this over at getdpi. Here's a copy of the posting:

Cambo and Arca have Canon lens boards with electronic aperture control for their bellow cameras. They don't require the collaboration with Fuji. The main problem for those devices is the small difference between the flange distance of Canon EF (44mm) and Fuji GFX (26,7mm). It results in only 17.3mm space. That brings the lens panels quite close to the camera and its grip. I am very interested in such a solution. So to check out if it would work I took product photos and scaled them to the same size in photoshop, using sensor size, mount diameters and mm-scales on the images as references. I think it is quite exact. My results:

a) the Arca F-Universalis lens board with aperture control will fit with the camera in landscape orientation. But the grip will limit the horizontal shift to one side to next to nothing (remember there is also the bellows between lens board and the grip which I didn’t draw). You could compensate that with the shift on the lens, but it’s a bit strange to do that on a view camera. Arca would probably have to make a dedicated bellow with a wider opening for the larger sensor, and a new mounting ring for the Fuji. Portrait orientation won’t work at all, because the lens board is about 12mm higher than wide, it collides with the grip.

b) the Cambo Actus lens board for Canon with aperture control is much narrower. It will fit in landscape orientation with enough space for shift in all directions. Cambo would probably have to make a new bellow with a wider opening. Their rotating mount for the camera side would have to be replaced by a thinner on without rotation - it is too thick to fit in the 17.3mm together with the lens board. In portrait orientation it won’t fit at all, much too high.

c) Cambo has a Canon lens board without aperture control for the Actus. This is much smaller and will work in both camera orientations with enough space for shifting in all directions. But no aperture control (set aperture on a Canon camera, detach, mount on the Actus, no easy switching between working aperture and full open).

So it looks like there will be no easy solution. Someone will have to develop a product further or from the ground on. I very much hope that someone would chime in and do that. A fixed adapter with aperture control by metabones would be a great thing. Or a shift adapter like a mini-pancake-camera with interchangeable panels for different MF-lenses.

Regards -
Marc

Bit of an old post I know but just had a thought concerning this...

Have just seen that Kipon have released a couple of adapters for the Fuji GFX.. 

One is a straight electronic adapter for Canon Eos lenses.  This is done via a separate battery and does not communicate with the GFX body.  Couple this with a Kipon Contax 645 - Eos adapter and apparently you get independent control of C645 lenses.... 

Very Cool.... :)

I was thinking that this might work very well on a "viewcamera" type setup but know I see that the new issue is probably "flange distance" related, as the current setup is optimised to be flush with a GFX body...

Anybody able to see a solution to this via a bit of DIY lensboard "hacking" with a camera like the Cambo Actus?  Or is it a matter of waiting till a more useable solution comes out?

Cool, look forward to hearing your thoughts... :)

marc aurel

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2017, 08:47:10 am »

Have just seen that Kipon have released a couple of adapters for the Fuji GFX.. 

One is a straight electronic adapter for Canon Eos lenses.  This is done via a separate battery and does not communicate with the GFX body.  Couple this with a Kipon Contax 645 - Eos adapter and apparently you get independent control of C645 lenses.... 

Very Cool.... :)

I was thinking that this might work very well on a "viewcamera" type setup but know I see that the new issue is probably "flange distance" related, as the current setup is optimised to be flush with a GFX body...

Anybody able to see a solution to this via a bit of DIY lensboard "hacking" with a camera like the Cambo Actus?  Or is it a matter of waiting till a more useable solution comes out?

Cool, look forward to hearing your thoughts... :)

If someone would offer a shift adapter Canon EF - Fuji GFX than you would have kind of a view camera setup. Mirex, HCam, Novoflex come to mind. Would be cool to be able to use Contax 645 lenses as shift lenses on the GFX. Although I am not sure if the relatively small inner diameter of the Canon mount could cut of some of the image circle.
Even better would be if fringer would cooperate with someone to offer a shift version of his Contax 645 - Fuji GFX adapter. Imagine you could use that with full aperture control and exif data in the files.

wallpaperviking

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2017, 09:45:58 am »

To the best of my knowledge, there is a Eos - GFX shift adapter coming in the next couple of months from Stefan Steib.... From there you could simply mount a "dumb" C645 - Eos adapter to it, for movements with the C645 lenses..

This will be a dumb adapter only though, so no electronic control of the C645 aperture.. :(

The best would be a Kipon style adapter that controls aperture though an external battery.  This could come in a variety of forms, one that is solely suited to sit on a Cambo Actus lensboard (just like their current Eos electronic lensboard) and one that comes in a Eos mount, that could be mounted to Stefan Steib's upcoming "shift" adapter...

The design might have to be changed a little to enable use on the Cambo Actus, as I believe the current design does not enable use with the Fuji GFX...

Which kinda is a bit shit :(

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up