Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Full Frame sensors

(1/2) > >>

wmchauncey:
I'm seeing the MP range from the low 20's MP to 50 MP in some of the new cameras.
Aside from shooting speed/file sizes/whatnot...what are the advantages of having fewer MP on that FF sensor?

rdonson:
Cost? 

scyth:

--- Quote from: wmchauncey on September 23, 2016, 10:21:28 am ---what are the advantages of having fewer MP on that FF sensor?

--- End quote ---

for example:

faster readout = more FPS, faster rolling electronis shutter, etc

more small sensels are not always eq. to less big sensels on the same area when you are still using actual real life raw converters (vs theoretical math) and it is not guaranteed that w/ that mind practical, with a given converter's code, downscaling of more small sensels will match less big sensels...

less need to bother about moving schematics around sensels to the other side of the sensor (less need for BSI)

etc

ErikKaffehr:
Hi,

For landsacpe shooters I see only benefits with smaller pixels as long as technology is not overstretched. The major loss with decreasing pixel size is loss of DR, but by and large the small pixel cameras are also DR kings.

If you need fast frame rates or storage place is an issue it may be an advantage to have large pixels.

With smaller pixels rendering will be more correct and probably smoother. So, pixel viewing there will be less microcontrast, but also there will be less fake detail.

Best regards
Erik

--- Quote from: wmchauncey on September 23, 2016, 10:21:28 am ---I'm seeing the MP range from the low 20's MP to 50 MP in some of the new cameras.
Aside from shooting speed/file sizes/whatnot...what are the advantages of having fewer MP on that FF sensor?

--- End quote ---

ErikKaffehr:
Hi,

Check this thread:
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=113012.0

Best regards
Erik

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version