Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The most boring ad ever!  (Read 2220 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
The most boring ad ever!
« on: September 23, 2016, 05:45:01 am »

Thank you Leica.

45 minute Leica ad

Cheers,

Tom Brown

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: The most boring ad ever!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 07:51:10 am »

Which is exactly the problem: I'm not willing to pay someone to spend 45 mins polishing a camera for me. That means Leica are selling jewellery as much as cameras. Good luck to them, it seems to be a successful business model.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 11:05:37 am »

Having spent four years of a five-year apprenticeship in mech-eng, it was rather interesting to watch. One of the first jobs we had to do in First Year was to make a steel cube - well, an elongated one - with a file. The tolerances were down to a thou or so of an inch. Try it.

In theory, much as the guy in the video was doing, except that we didn't measure flatness by eye. We used a large, very flat steel table onto which was put a sort of blueish grease, on top of which was rubbed the object we wanted to render flat. It was where the 'blue' didn't touch the object that we had to reach by filing away at the blue bits that sat proud... took ages and several attempts to get a finished one passed! But good training in filing flat. You can understand the appeal photography held at the time...

But they started too late and stopped too early: should have gone on to assembly etc. and made it more interesting to the non-engineer.

It takes a lot of internalising to do that work - the guy was probably out in the Caribbean with his favourite model all that time. And without any music to soothe the mind I don't blame him.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 11:37:44 am »

There is a video somewhere of a guy building a Porsche motor : apparently Porsche have the complete motor put together by one guy, rather than on a chain. Doubtless there is a premium to pay for that, and after the first 100 or so it would get to be boring for the technician too, but it certainly looked more interesting than hand polishing...

The "make a cube" introduction is rather traditional, sometimes followed by making the cube into a sphere (not sure how relaistic that is). I'm sure there is some real body memory training going on: I remember when I was young, cutting anything with a hacksaw was a very approximate business. Now... I'm out by maybe 1 or 2 degrees. Doing more would have made it faster.

Otoh, does it matter? In the days of manual lathes it probably reduced stock wastage and reduced machine time. Now, with fully automated maching on 5-axis maching centres... the time would be better spent learning to program. Although of course you only need one programmer to do what hundreds of machinists uses to do, so really, most of them will be learning to make coffee for the robots...

Ah, there we are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mX4OwAR9ec

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 05:07:01 am »

There is a video somewhere of a guy building a Porsche motor : apparently Porsche have the complete motor put together by one guy, rather than on a chain. Doubtless there is a premium to pay for that, and after the first 100 or so it would get to be boring for the technician too, but it certainly looked more interesting than hand polishing...

The "make a cube" introduction is rather traditional, sometimes followed by making the cube into a sphere (not sure how relaistic that is). I'm sure there is some real body memory training going on: I remember when I was young, cutting anything with a hacksaw was a very approximate business. Now... I'm out by maybe 1 or 2 degrees. Doing more would have made it faster.

Otoh, does it matter? In the days of manual lathes it probably reduced stock wastage and reduced machine time. Now, with fully automated maching on 5-axis maching centres... the time would be better spent learning to program. Although of course you only need one programmer to do what hundreds of machinists uses to do, so really, most of them will be learning to make coffee for the robots...

Ah, there we are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mX4OwAR9ec

Does it matter? Well, to me, the ability both to do it and to know how much skill it takes to do it by hand is important if you are going to be an engineer. I suppose it's like maths: some people stop thinking about basics and simply rely on formulae. So where are you should you forget the formula for some reason - such as in the heat of a school exam - and can't look it up? I see these 'basic' understandings of things as the support to everything else in the discipline. In my own case, I realise my almost total lack of understanding of how or even why computers work as being a key reason for my dislike of them, and the total panic when something no longer works the same way as it did yesterday. Changes from Microsoft XP through Vista to my curren 8.1 have cost me dear, both in terms of nerves as well as money and the even more annoying loss of compatibility with several photographic requirements. Free W 10 was never going to be accepted.

The Porsche video is much on the lines of the Leica one in that it helps show the why regarding ultimate price of the product. As with the camera, those gleaming engine components even look expensive! To me, that assembly line shows the sterility behind much of contemporary life; I understand the need for cleanliness of course, but can't help thinking it lacks the charm of the old craftsman's shop with junk everywhere! We still have a small steelworker or two in business in Pollensa, making steel products for private clients - made me different support brackets to my designs for fitting to several cars when I was still able to carry my US 'vanity' plates with impunity:

until, 35 or so years after its first iteration (with my wife's name and mine) on my first car here, followed so often by guardia civil, police, army and a host of other official entities, none of whom gave a shit, I was eventaully pulled over by a cop on a scooter (indignity on both sides) and told it had to go. Party pooper! This was the last car that carried it:

Whilst I would hate a career in engineering, I do wish that I had the skills and space to do car restoration. Of the many cars I've wasted my earnings buying just to avoid pissing it away in tax, the one I'd like back the most - despite its flaws at the time - is the little Fiat X1/9. Woefully underpowered in its day, it was beautiful and deceptively capable of carrying all my required lights, tripods etc. The ability to restore one, keep it rolling, would be a delight to me.

Rob
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:54:13 am by Rob C »

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 05:34:37 pm »

That means Leica are selling jewellery as much as cameras. Good luck to them, it seems to be a successful business model.

This has been their modus operandi for awhile now. I doubt they'd still be around as anything other than a brand-name for license if it were otherwise. From my POV (as a fan of rangefinder cameras) the more dentists & such who buy Leica stuff new, the more of it will be available used down the line at more reasonable prices for folks like me.  ;D

-Dave-

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 05:15:33 am »

the more dentists & such who buy Leica stuff new, the more of it will be available used down the line at more reasonable prices for folks like me.  ;D

Excellent strategy :)

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 05:33:08 am »

Excellent strategy :)

Kinda depends just how far down that line one finds oneself...

By the time a worthwhile digi L becomes available to me, I think I'd rather just use what I have; probably would anyway, but the idea feels something I want to experience. Last ones I touched were an M3 and, much later, an R6.

;-)

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up