Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happenned to Arca's photokina 2014 announcements?  (Read 1808 times)

Theodoros

What happenned to Arca's photokina 2014 announcements?
« on: September 22, 2016, 01:59:03 pm »

The products were presented in Photokina 2014, were promised by 2015, and never made it to the market... I remember several posts made on the matter where the products were promised with a delay, but there is complete silence on the matter there after...

Particularly the FPS (focal plane) shutter was a very attractive solution for users that would like to use older MFDB lenses on a bellows camera and even more so for the owners of multishot backs...

Is the project dead? Why "no comment" from Arca? ...shouldn't they explain to the public what went wrong after they made the announcement?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: What happenned to Arca's photokina 2014 announcements?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 02:06:02 pm »

I am sure Chris Barrett will hopefully chime in.  Chris uses the FPS with his photography, I believe with the Sony 35mm. 

He wrote a pretty detailed post on LuLa, but not able to locate it. 

As for the rest of the gear, I mainly remember the e shutter, (not sure where that is),  The Universalis, (has been shipping over a year now or longer), the FPS, appears to be shipping in limited quantities. 

Not sure if Arca was at Photokina, hopefully they were.  But since Rod K has moved on to other roles. for Arca, the US presence is not as strong.

On the other stage, the new Cambo camera with the integrated L bracket excellent design.  Seems to be based on the Smart Flex L plate (which I use and love)

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Theodoros

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 02:48:33 pm »

There is nothing on the FPS on the Arca-shop... They may have made some examples and Chris using/testing one of them, but they definitely don't sell the product (or other than the lots announced with the Universallis)...

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 02:55:14 pm »

It's been my experience, the Arca shop, is not a great place to start.  Arca doesn't even have a website that I am aware of.

I know of 2 other photographers using the FPS, all with Canon glass on Sony.  Last time I checked which was early 2016, I could order one, but decided against it due to overall cost/low gain.

But it may have been pulled again. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

marc aurel

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 03:33:42 pm »

I've been at the Arca Swiss stand at Photokina.
The stuff they announced 2 years ago was there. And worked quite well, I mostly liked it. The answer to my question about shipment dates was: starts this year. Some of the elements were ready quite a while ago, some not. So they said they decided to start shipping together (because they are part of a system that works together).

Canon Lens Board for the Arca F-Universalis:
Chris had a post about it. It needs an external power supply (the Cambo has an internal battery). Two small buttons for opening and closing of aperture. Pushing both at the same time switches between working aperture and full open. Worked nicely. But the buttons are quite small, and pushing them at the same time is not too easy. So you can accidentally change working aperture without noticing (cause the display for that is on the front of the panel). I like the rigidity. Operationally the Cambo is better to me - it has a seperate button for switching full open and working aperture. And it needs no external cables.

FPS for R-Line:
Quite impressive. You can remotely control the fps (or E-shutters) via a Wifi device. And they showed a Canon lens Panel especially for the R-line, that can be remotely controlled too. So you can just set aperture, exposure, bracketing on this small wifi device. And release. But you need some cables. One sync cable to the back. One from the Canon Lens board to the FPS, one from the FPS to the conrol unit (called MPU).

As really new stuff they showed a geared tripod head. Based on their p0, on top of this a kind of mini-cube in a cylindrical form. Self-locking gears, 10 degrees each direktion. But the p0 under it adds the abilities of a ballhead, so the possible angles are much wider. Extremely compact. Pretty cool for travelling. Sorry, but I didn't take a photo.

Regards -
Marc
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 03:39:26 pm by marc aurel »

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 01:45:38 am »

This is the best information that I could find about the arca announcements at photokina: http://rodklukas.com/967/arca-swiss-new-products-photokina-2016/ . That P0 hybrid head looks really interesting

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up