Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photokina  (Read 7774 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Photokina
« on: September 22, 2016, 07:17:03 am »

To be honest past LuLa participants seemed to obsessed with Photokina announcements, not so this year. I'm happy with my gear, have we reached a peak?

Cheers,
Tom Brown

mbaginy

Re: Photokina
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 09:16:26 am »

Tom, personally, I'm less interested in camera bodies but more in lenses and gear refinement.  I've decided to switch from Canon to Fuji (X-T1, X-Pro 1, X100T) but am lacking a pleasing macro lens.  Fuji have delayed production of a new macro lens.  But since it probably wouldn't have a tripod collar, I wouldn't really be interested anyway.  I'm using an old Minolta MD 100 macro with extension tube; okay but limiting.

I'd also like to see more lenses with built-in lens shades or (third party?) Zeiss-like metal lens shades.  The plastic things are mostly crap.  Also lens shades with which we can rotate polarizing filters would be nice.  Little things that make everyday photography more enjoyable.  Seems difficult.  We'll probably travel to Mars before I ever see my wishes come true.  Sigh.

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 03:37:12 pm »

I hit Peak Gear last year.  :)  This year, for the first time in a decade, I've reduced the amount of photo stuff I own…and with no intent to replace any of it with other stuff. I'd say 90%+ of the photos I've taken in the past 10 months have been with one camera and one of three zooms: a Panasonic GX8 and 12–35, 35–100 & 100–400mm lenses. This rig has nailed the sweet spot for me.

My take on this year's Photokina has been a mixture of some curiosity and a lot of whatever.

-Dave-

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 06:06:28 pm »

I'll have more to report on Photokina on Friday if the internet connections at the hotel I am it allows.  As far as Photokina goes and as I will be reporting it is different.  Smaller and less people.  The industry is changing and photographers are staying with the gear they have or switching to gear that is lighter and has newer technology.  The Fuji, Sony systems are getting a lot of play and attention. Yes, Canon has a large booth and is crowded but there is no excitement.  The introduction of their mirrorless system the M5 is almost unnoticed.  Times are changing and as has been stated some folks have reached their gear peak at least for now.  There is some cool technology coming though and there will be a lot of advancements in camera design over the next few years.  Nick and I will try to sum up our thoughts on the show after tomorrow.  When we get home we will edit the video and then post a recap next week. The talk of the show is Fuji GFX.  Lots of folks trying to figure out how that system will play into their future camera systems.  Stay tuned.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 12:25:41 am »

...  Smaller and less people.  ...

At €53 for a ticket, I decided to stay home read about the exhibition at lula and in magazines.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 04:22:12 am »

What I find interesting is that back in the day my EOS1V cost the equivalent of around 1000 EUR. Today, people seem to be happy to buy "enthusiast" grade cameras and lenses for 3000 EUR and/or 2000 EUR a pop... The latest EOS 5DMKIV is launched at 4100 EUR, just as another example. The latest 50mm f1.4 Leica lens for the SL is more than 7000 EUR. Really?

After spending that kind of cash, no wonder that things are cooling down.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 05:24:47 am »

What I find interesting is that back in the day my EOS1V cost the equivalent of around 1000 EUR.
Er no. When they were first released in 2000 they were US$2,900 (see Micheal's review here at https://luminous-landscape.com/canon-eos-1v-2/) The the euro was about on parity with the dollar. Add the effect of inflation and it's would be over 4000euros today.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 06:14:10 am »

I was there on Wednesday. I enjoyed (as a Sony shooter) to be able to test the new A99ii. There were also plenty of other lenses to test on your own camera which I took advantage of (but you had to stay at the counter).
I agree the Canon booth was dull, Nikon was OK and Zeiss and Fuji buzzing with lots more action. Voigtlander (a brand I really like) was unimpressive and small.
It was interesting to walk by all the smaller booth of Chinese, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan enterprises. The diversity of products they offer is nice to look at, but I wonder how many will really make it in the end.

For me the highlight was the Leica exhibition in Hall 1, it wasn't very large but I found it very diverse and all of high quality.

Maybe this picture I took near the exit tells the story:

I did a bit of a clone job to remove some less relevant (for this post) text  :-[

pieter, aka pegelli

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 06:18:40 am »

I just posted a very lengthy article on the show.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 11:42:01 am »

Er no. When they were first released in 2000 they were US$2,900 (see Micheal's review here at https://luminous-landscape.com/canon-eos-1v-2/) The the euro was about on parity with the dollar. Add the effect of inflation and it's would be over 4000euros today.

Well, I bought mine new in 2002 for 1000 EUR. If I take that value and apply the yearly value for inflation in Portugal between 2002 and 2016, I arrive at around 1300 EUR...

FabienP

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 04:58:28 pm »

Well, I bought mine new in 2002 for 1000 EUR. If I take that value and apply the yearly value for inflation in Portugal between 2002 and 2016, I arrive at around 1300 EUR...

Even if the camera was cheaper then, you still needed to buy film and have it processed (or buy chemicals to process it yourself). So even with today's more expensive cameras and associated storage costs, it is still overall cheaper to use a camera in the digital realm.

Now that I think about it, people doing BW photography on inkjet might disagree with this statement, given that photo black on BW prints in the darkroom was more or less free...

Cheers,

Fabien

FabienP

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 05:07:37 pm »

(...)

Maybe this picture I took near the exit tells the story:

I did a bit of a clone job to remove some less relevant (for this post) text  :-[

Pieter, I wonder what less relevant text you cloned out of the photo.  :D

Was it "time to change mount" or "time to change socks"? If it were a Sony advertisement, I would suggest the former, but you never know. ;)

Cheers,

Fabien

rdonson

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 06:52:00 pm »

I've been using Canon film cameras since 1970 and then in 2000 digital.  I got a lot out of them and Canon L glass. 

I'm no longer in the Canon camp though.  The Fuji X-T1 captured my attention with its easy to understand and use controls.  Initially I bought it as my travel camera rather than lug the Canon DSLRs around.  The IQ was so much better than I expected. I also enjoyed the lighter and smaller Fuji.

I've recently added a Fuji X-T2 to the lineup and I'm delighted with it.  Since the X-T1 I've added a number of Fuji lenses.  I've got my eye on adding at least one or maybe two more.

I watched and read about Photokina 2016 more closely than in years past.  I guess I was anxious to see what Fuji was going to say about their rumored MF mirrorless.  They didn't disappoint.  I'm guessing the GFX will turn out to be something special.   

I'm delighted that Kevin and Nick covered Photokina this year.  I enjoyed it!!!

So in answer to the OP.... no, I've not reached my peak, I'm just moving in different directions these days. 
Regards,
Ron

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 02:52:41 am »

Pieter, I wonder what less relevant text you cloned out of the photo.  :D

Was it "time to change mount" or "time to change socks"? If it were a Sony advertisement, I would suggest the former, but you never know. ;)

Cheers,

Fabien
What do you mean, change from A- to E-mount or the other way?  ;)

Btw, the removed text had something to do with asking you to vvisit a booth of brand that shares its name with a big Japanese mountain.
pieter, aka pegelli

JoeKitchen

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 12:20:46 pm »

I think we may be reaching a point where sensors are nearly as good as they can get with little room for improvement.  This may be decreasing the interest in getting new gear, or cameras at least. 

I have seen very little difference in what sensors can do and how they have progressed over the last couple of years, and the advantages I do see, I feel is more of a result of better raw processing engines. 

Personally, I have been almost exclusively shooting with a P45+ for the last 4 years and started out using it with Capture One v.5.  Base (50) ISO has always be great, but on v.5, even 100 was not so good.  Since then, I am now working with C1 v.9 and the files are much nicer.  Base ISO has gotten considerably better, 100 & 200 are very clean, and 400 is usable for some situations.  All this without any updates to the firmware in the back; essentially the same files, just much much better due to nothing in the camera. 

(800 still sucks!  The noise can be controlled fairly well, but the loss of color is what really gets me.  With that said, I feel all cameras loose a considerable amount the color field once you get 4 stops above base, more then I care to work with.)   

Also, social media and the internet is a much cheeper and effective means of marketing then trade shows for both companies and consumers. 

For me, I would love to upgrade to a camera with wireless connectivity to an iPad, and maybe get a couple new lenses, but that is it. 

Good lighting gear is always something I would be interested in though. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:03:06 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent
Pages: [1]   Go Up