Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading to Medium Format - Key Questions that I have.  (Read 11370 times)

The View

Re: Upgrading to Medium Format - Key Questions that I have.
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2016, 05:49:02 pm »

There is little difference between the H3Dii-50, H4D-50 and H5D-50, basically the H5D-50 is faster and the H3Dii-50 may miss focus a few times. Nothing really essential. The H3Dii can still be serviced, BTW. You are confusing with the original H3D (and even that camera can be serviced in many cases).

If I were you, I'll try to get a H4D-50. They still work very well and if you don't like it, you will be able to sell the camera without losing too much money.

Disclaimer: I am using an H4D-50 myself. I don't feel the need to upgrade.

Thanks, I felt this was a good middle ground as well. It has true focus after all and increased sealing from the H3Dii (as far as I know)
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2016, 05:50:28 pm »

What is happening now with mirrorless is a major transformation though, probably only second in scale to the switch from film to digital.

I would argue that this is in fact the first major transformation in the past 20 years.

Cheers,
Bernard

Yes, I'll definitely take a look at the Hasselblad mirrorless, and, if I can wait this long, at the Fuji. I just hear that using an EV in bright daylight is not a good shooting experience. I have to see for myself if this is true.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2016, 06:02:42 pm »

Quantify what you mean by a good price.  The back doesn't really care about the number of shots, while the body will, and if there's an issue, you'd most likely be replacing it.  I'd most likely compare the combo to the price of a H4D-50 as the H1/H2 bodies don't have TrueFocus.  The reason folks would do a Phase+Hasselblad combo revolve around needing CaptureOne support or just not liking the 645DF/DF+ bodies.

Have you confirmed that you'll get the color and files you're looking for?  What lenses are you looking at, and what else will you need to get shooting?

Tape around the gap between the back and body is only one of the entry points i'd worry about - the lens mount and the eye piece mount both offer easy access to dust & grime.

Any time you purchase private party, make sure you have a plan if there is an issue with the gear.

I'm not rushing it and will preferably go with a true focus capable camera.

In case of trouble, do you have to send the Hasselblad to Europe, or can it be fixed (e.g. shutter replacement) in the USA?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2016, 06:20:28 pm »

The XF is an insanely beautiful camera, almost in Bauhaus style design. But I have heard that honeycomb autofocus doesn't work too well.

I also heard that Truefocus really works well.
There is nothing wrong with the XF focus system ... it works  well.  Regarding TrueFocus, certainly a cool feature, and for your fashion needs if you find yourself doing dramatic focus/recomposing I could see it as an advantage.  but it seems there are a great number of fashion shooters that use Phase (and other none true focus systems) that do just fine.

The XF is a platform, and phase has already demonstrated their ability to bring new features/technology to the system. The focus stack tool can come in extremely handy for landscape photographers (especially those using a cmos back with good live view), as does the hyperlocal tool. I think we'll see these tools improve and wouldn't be surprised to see new features added to enhance the camera.  It's quite possible they could introduce some type of "true focus" capability to the camera.

Joe Towner

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2016, 07:59:39 pm »

In case of trouble, do you have to send the Hasselblad to Europe, or can it be fixed (e.g. shutter replacement) in the USA?

The center in NJ should be able to do just about anything, though parts may need to be sent over from Europe.

Knowing you're a CaptureOne user, I'd actually say go a step further than the P45+, reach for the P65+ as the added resolution will keep it relevant longer.
t: @PNWMF

The View

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2016, 08:59:32 pm »

The center in NJ should be able to do just about anything, though parts may need to be sent over from Europe.

Knowing you're a CaptureOne user, I'd actually say go a step further than the P45+, reach for the P65+ as the added resolution will keep it relevant longer.

Yes, I'd love to - only I haven't seen one with an H mount for sale anywhere. Most Phase One backs (like the Leaf) are H mount.

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2016, 10:08:55 pm »

Let me speak to the triggering issues you mentioned - I shoot with the PW Plus X - which are limited to 1/250 sync I believe - and the elinchrom skyports on my H5X. The skyports sync no problem at all speeds on the Hassy, and the PW are just backups (and for use with my Nikons).

Also, I had an H1, and hated the focus system, but when I got True Focus, I actually can shoot things at f/4 and wider and have them be in focus.

-Doug

Joe Towner

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2016, 10:34:17 pm »

Yes, I'd love to - only I haven't seen one with an H mount for sale anywhere. Most Phase One backs (like the Leaf) are M mount.

Reach out to the dealers - they'll help you get what you need.  They will know if someone is looking to trade in, and having a buyer ready makes it less financial risk for them.
t: @PNWMF

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2016, 11:41:03 pm »

I have photographed many different subjects with the XF camera and have found no difficulties in getting sharp images.  I frequently shoot portraits using focus and recompose at f2.8 and achieve sharp images. 

In any event thier are a ton of Dslr cameras with a plethora of auto focus points, if that's what you need to capture the images you want then perhaps choose one of those.

Or you can buy an of Mamiya RZ, Hassy 500 cm or Fuji 680 and learn how to focus and recompose using a simple ground glass.   The Leica M series rangefinder cameras were / are an excellent tool to learn hand eye coordination in capturing off center compostions.  Not trying to be flippant in any way just speaking to tendency of some to blame the camera for their lack of usage with the tool.

To circle back around to the topic, when you try out the XF camera be sure and set the auto focus to the rear button.  I use my right thumb activate the focus and use my index finger for pressing the shutter release.

Whatever camera you end up with....happy snaps.
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

The View

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2016, 02:19:41 am »

Let me speak to the triggering issues you mentioned - I shoot with the PW Plus X - which are limited to 1/250 sync I believe - and the elinchrom skyports on my H5X. The skyports sync no problem at all speeds on the Hassy, and the PW are just backups (and for use with my Nikons).

Also, I had an H1, and hated the focus system, but when I got True Focus, I actually can shoot things at f/4 and wider and have them be in focus.

-Doug

Thank you for that note about the true focus system. This was actually the thing that made me want to get an H4D, and skip all older cameras.

The View

« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2016, 02:21:47 am »

Reach out to the dealers - they'll help you get what you need.  They will know if someone is looking to trade in, and having a buyer ready makes it less financial risk for them.

Good idea.

I'll be checking out the Phase One dealer in the coming next weeks between the shoots.

The View

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2016, 03:34:13 pm »

My current point of decision if True Focus is such a great thing for a fashion photographer that I should let go an H3Dii-50.

I haven't tried it yet as I'm busy with a deadline and could do no testing.

So, instead of hurrying, I probably let this offer go (the next one's just around the bend).

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2016, 10:27:08 pm »

My current point of decision if True Focus is such a great thing for a fashion photographer that I should let go an H3Dii-50.

I haven't tried it yet as I'm busy with a deadline and could do no testing.

So, instead of hurrying, I probably let this offer go (the next one's just around the bend).

Really really much better not to rush. The most common mistake in getting into medium format, by far, is to see some camera on an auction site or forum or whatever and pull the trigger because you think it's a "great deal". First, it rarely is that crazy of a deal. Second, a good deal on the wrong camera for your needs is not a good deal at all. It's very likely this will not be your only medium format digital purchase. So over several lenses, and upgrade or two, and accessories, you'll be spending a lot of money building a system. Best to make darn sure from the start you're building it on the foundation that best fits your needs.

If you're going to buy from a dealer rather than used you'll be able to test whatever you're buying and compare many systems, and leverage their knowledge of the product to avoid misunderstandings. For example, the H3D did not have True Focus. It was introduced at the H4 series. We (DT, Phase One, LA) have H4X and H5X bodies (same True Focus as their "D" counterparts) that you'd be welcome to test and compare to the XF. That should tell you, far more than forum posts, whether that feature is important to you.

landscapephoto

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2016, 02:43:49 am »

The most common mistake in getting into medium format, by far, is to see some camera on an auction site or forum or whatever and pull the trigger

OTOH, buying a second hand MF, try it for a month or two to see the general advantages and disadvantages of MF and resell it afterwards is basically free rental.

The View

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2016, 01:33:06 am »

Really really much better not to rush. The most common mistake in getting into medium format, by far, is to see some camera on an auction site or forum or whatever and pull the trigger because you think it's a "great deal". First, it rarely is that crazy of a deal. Second, a good deal on the wrong camera for your needs is not a good deal at all. It's very likely this will not be your only medium format digital purchase. So over several lenses, and upgrade or two, and accessories, you'll be spending a lot of money building a system. Best to make darn sure from the start you're building it on the foundation that best fits your needs.

If you're going to buy from a dealer rather than used you'll be able to test whatever you're buying and compare many systems, and leverage their knowledge of the product to avoid misunderstandings. For example, the H3D did not have True Focus. It was introduced at the H4 series. We (DT, Phase One, LA) have H4X and H5X bodies (same True Focus as their "D" counterparts) that you'd be welcome to test and compare to the XF. That should tell you, far more than forum posts, whether that feature is important to you.

Absolutely. Prices on used cameras never rise. There was H3Dii-50 at an insanely low price, but I didn't want to just buy it. First it didn't have TrueFocus and I didn't, at this time, know anything about the back except it got a bad rating at this DXO mark.

Even if one misses one great opportunity, the next one is just around the corner, and even if I would miss a good deal, I wouldn't like the rush and the lack of a conscious decision. I'm not planning to buy within the next four weeks, and am just scanning what lenses are coming up for sale and what price. My key point will be to actually get detailed info about the backs and, if possible, test shoot them and check out the files.

The View

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2016, 01:36:24 am »

OTOH, buying a second hand MF, try it for a month or two to see the general advantages and disadvantages of MF and resell it afterwards is basically free rental.

From what I have seen, older MF cameras and backs sell at very low prices and often not at all.

I pretty much know what I want - and will check and research which back will give it to me. I'll check out the P45+, P65+, IQ160 (which would go with a H4X) and the Hasselblad H4D-50, H4D-60, H5D-50, and H5D-60 . And I'll be open to suggestions in regard to Leaf backs

The View

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2016, 01:38:12 am »

And I won't completely rule out the X1D - even though I don't like the idea of an electronic viewfinder. I want a big viewfinder for composition.

landscapephoto

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2016, 02:01:37 am »

From what I have seen, older MF cameras and backs sell at very low prices and often not at all.

If you buy them cheap, you are pretty sure not to lose much money, aren't you?

I pretty much know what I want - and will check and research which back will give it to me.

So what so you want? You gave some ideas in your first post and many older MFs would fit the bill. Any other wants beyond what you already wrote?

As to the viewfinder, electronic viewfinders are not as large and not as as MF viewfinders by a very large margin. I have demoed the X1D, its viewfinder is similar to the one of the RX1 which I have. I can directly compare the RX1 to my H4D, it's like day and night.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2016, 05:05:47 am »

Hi,

Did you compare in night or day?

In dark places EVF really shines, albeit they probably don't work well in the darkest night.

Best regards
Erik

If you buy them cheap, you are pretty sure not to lose much money, aren't you?

So what so you want? You gave some ideas in your first post and many older MFs would fit the bill. Any other wants beyond what you already wrote?

As to the viewfinder, electronic viewfinders are not as large and not as as MF viewfinders by a very large margin. I have demoed the X1D, its viewfinder is similar to the one of the RX1 which I have. I can directly compare the RX1 to my H4D, it's like day and night.
Erik Kaffehr

landscapephoto

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2016, 01:54:58 pm »

Did you compare in night or day?

In dark places EVF really shines, albeit they probably don't work well in the darkest night.

The o.p. is not interested in high iso, so I gather he will only use the viewfinder by good light.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up