Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac computer update--  (Read 3373 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Mac computer update--
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:45:27 pm »

My desktop is 7 years old and the graphics card is way out of date--I need to update.

The quandry for me is that Apple has change the configuration by not selling a machine that allow you to inserts 3-d4drive into the tower.  This requires a major change in thinking about what to buy.  You now must invest in an external drive system connected by a Thunderbolt cable to some type of enclosure that houses 3-5 drives.  From my research the speed is improved with these, but you have make a choice of some type of RAID configuration to manage all  the drives and provide a backup system.

I have researched several option and the two that appear to be suitable are the OWC Thunder 4  Raid 5 vs the Drobo D5 system.

I ask the community for their opinions and experience using these options or other systems I have not mentioned

Help me make a smart  selection.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Joe Towner

Re: Mac computer update--
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 03:45:37 am »

OWC Thunder - can run software RAID, or not based on your choice, allows more config options like separate SSDs and HDDs
t: @PNWMF

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 07:23:20 am »

The world has changed. Everything is external. There is no purpose to Raid for a photographer. Just buy a drive for the data and multiple single drives for the Time Machine backup. I use a Drobo 5D for the data. I have complained on occasions but it is the best solution I have seen because you can grow it.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 09:29:40 am »

I have used the 'TrashCan' MacPro since it came out with a Promise Pegasus and an OWC Thunder 4 as the back up.

If I had to set this up again, I would go with the OWC Thunder 4 for both drives using the excellent SoftRAID software that OWC sells. The OWC unit is rock solid and far less expensive. I have always stayed away from Drobo since the software/firmware to access it is proprietary (as is the Promise to some extent).

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 01:52:49 pm »

I have always stayed away from Drobo since the software/firmware to access it is proprietary (as is the Promise to some extent).

Not for a network-attached Drobo.  OS X (MacOS) can mount filesystems from a network-attached Drobo using Apple's Time Machine and Connect to Server utilities or the standard UNIX mount command.  I've never used a channel-attached Drobo, so I can't speak to its functionality, but for back-up purposes there's typically no need for a direct connection between the computer that hosts the data and the back-up device.  Once the back-up filesystem has been mounted, you can use any application you want to perform the back-ups.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 05:57:23 pm »

I have always stayed away from Drobo since the software/firmware to access it is proprietary (as is the Promise to some extent).

Chris, in what way do you find it proprietary?

It's true that Drobo offers a level of abstraction to its devices.  For example, thin provisioning which provides the ability to easily upgrade one drive at a time to larger drives in the array.  This way if you need more space its simple.  They also have a nasty habit of encrypting their diagnostics so that only Drobo knows what they say. 

That said once you're set up it just acts like a normal external drive connected to the computer.

Regards,
Ron

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 08:17:12 pm »

Not for a network-attached Drobo...
I stand corrected - I was thinking of a directly attached system as I use via Thunderbolt.

But is it not true that only Drobo Dashboard software can access the setup and diagnostics of the system?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 09:16:06 pm »

My experience with both a directed attached Drobo 5D and a network attached Drobo 5N is that I would not recommend using a network attached drive (of any type other than Apple) as a TimeMachine backup if it is your only backup. I use it as the backup on every second night and a direct attached HDD on the other nights. It is far more difficult to open the network drive and navigate through the file heirachy to drag out a file. I actually attach the 5D to a Mac Mini server and this does the backups to the HDD and 5N. The 5N may operate on the network using standard network protocols but everything about the management needs to be done using the software.

The 5D is a great data storage device as it allows growth. The 5N you can only create a "share" of xGB. Once that share is full adding extra drives doesn't help, you have to delete the share and create new one. That means you need over two times and preferably 3 times for the share in the first place, then more than that spare to replace it eventually. In practice over 6 times the space of the data you are trying to back up. OK if you have lots of small disks to get rid of but there are other issues with that.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 03:54:28 am »

But is it not true that only Drobo Dashboard software can access the setup and diagnostics of the system?

Yes and no.  Like most storage appliances, the Drobos are somewhat specialized hardware running stripped-down and slightly customized versions of Linux.  If you know what you are doing, it's possible to gain access to some management functions with standard Linux utilities.  I don't recommend that, though, and I personally use the Drobo Dashboard application to manage the box.  To my way of thinking, what you're paying for when you buy one of these appliances primarily is the system administrative software provided by the manufacturer.  Otherwise, it's easy enough to buy or build a generic computer, install Linux (or UNIX or even—gulp—Microsoft Windows) on it, and make your own storage device.  In fact, that's precisely what I do for my general-purpose servers, one of which functions as my primary datastore.  (The Drobo is a back-up to my back-up device, and I use a remote "cloud" service as a back-up to the back-up of my back-up.  Belt and suspenders and a parachute, I guess you could call it.)

martin archer-shee

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 08:50:05 pm »

hi all
There are many good answers as to a new system.
I moved to Mac last fall (actually feet in both camps still somewhat) and bought a late 2015 5K iMac with 8 ram. I have since added 16 more after market. Made one error. Should have gone with a 500ssd but got the 1000 HD. Not really that bad after all. I had several old hard drives so got an Oroco ( I think) unit to switch hard drives in via a usb connection to the iMac. In short, for my purposes, works a treat. The display is great but not what a serious colour analyst would want. Basically the only control is brilliance as it is with most monitors. Oh yes there is some colour correction but.. I also use a ColorMunki to profile my papers and am pleased with the results.

Hope this helps in your search.
Cheers
Martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up