Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RGP RIP or related printer software that supports nesting and RGB profiles?  (Read 3496 times)

brinked

We currently use wasatch with our 44" wide format 9890 by epson.  It works great and we love all the features, but it doesnt allow us to use RGB profiles.

Is there a printer software out there that support standard printing from the printer drive but also has nesting capabilities similar to wasatch?  It sounds like such a simple thing.  I found some software for mac, but I cant find anything for windows.

bgasser

Re: RGP RIP or related printer software that supports nesting and RGB profiles?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 05:40:54 pm »

Try Qimage. I don't believe that it would truly be considered a RIP but it does what you are wanting.

Ben Gasser
Metal Mouth Prints
Kansas City

http://metalmouthprints.com
http://bengasser.com

brinked

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 11:22:22 am »

hey Ben.  Thanks, yes, thats the only software I have found.  The interface is terrible.  I cant find a way to set the paper width size and the nesting layout feature leaves a lot to be desired.  I could just be spoiled from wasatch's simple interface.

aaronchan

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 12:06:08 pm »

Every single software has a learn curve
you just need to spend a bit time on this software
I had the same feeling when I first used it in about 6 years ago.
But now, I can't live without it.

IMHO, wasatch has a very bad UI as well to me at the very beginning, but just after a month, I'm so used to it as well.

aaron

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 02:08:26 pm »

hey Ben.  Thanks, yes, thats the only software I have found.  The interface is terrible.  I cant find a way to set the paper width size and the nesting layout feature leaves a lot to be desired.  I could just be spoiled from wasatch's simple interface.
You can seek help here, there a couple of very friendly and experienced users.
http://ddisoftware.com/tech/index.php?PHPSESSID=1ea9f91ad37285bd123112f85d7f39c0

Video tutorials: http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/learn.htm
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 02:42:06 pm »

Six years ago I looked at Qimage. I came to the conclusion that there was nothing else available that could do what it does at anywhere close to the same price. On the down side the UI was something from bygone days when little or no thought was given to human factors engineering or compatibility. Everything you need is present but you have to hunt for it and then figure out how to use it. I had some wierd problems displaying and printing TIFF files that were saved in legitimate ways by Photoshop that Qimage simply did not like, and different problems using TIFF files saved in the way Qimage likes but that also had channels (masks) embedded in them. I found the program to be the polar opposite of intuitive, user friendly, and helpful. Like all things it can be learned and once learned it becomes easy, but the learning curve is far steeper than one normally expects. In fairness that was six years ago and the program may be much more refined and friendly now. I abandoned it after spending way too much time struggling to do a few simple things. If I needed its features very frequently I may have toughed it out, but for me that's a rare occurrence and there's always more than one way get something done.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:58:43 pm by DeanChriss »
- Dean

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 06:56:25 pm »

Six years ago I looked at Qimage. I came to the conclusion that there was nothing else available that could do what it does at anywhere close to the same price. On the down side the UI was something from bygone days when little or no thought was given to human factors engineering or compatibility. Everything you need is present but you have to hunt for it and then figure out how to use it. I had some wierd problems displaying and printing TIFF files that were saved in legitimate ways by Photoshop that Qimage simply did not like, and different problems using TIFF files saved in the way Qimage likes but that also had channels (masks) embedded in them. I found the program to be the polar opposite of intuitive, user friendly, and helpful. Like all things it can be learned and once learned it becomes easy, but the learning curve is far steeper than one normally expects. In fairness that was six years ago and the program may be much more refined and friendly now. I abandoned it after spending way too much time struggling to do a few simple things. If I needed its features very frequently I may have toughed it out, but for me that's a rare occurrence and there's always more than one way get something done.

The interface has not changed that much in six years but there have been significant improvements in sharpening, noise reduction, raw processing and more. The resizing to print size matching print driver specifications and final print sharpening all automatically applied to your chosen settings is not matched by any software I have come across. It does take some getting use to but I think it is worth the effort.
Its difficult to post examples online since screen monitors cannot match the actual print resolution.

It has been my printing software of choice since 2003. I have not been able to find anything to match the quality output, including Photoshop CC and Lightroom.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

enduser

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 09:46:19 pm »

For me, one of the most useful features of Qimage is to be able to layout six images on a 24" sheet (or roll), and for each one set a separate icc profile.  So on one sheet I can see the differences between them.
Sharpening of the print without altering the original file is very useful and if you want to play with various treatments you can choose "Print-to-file"
and examine it before printing.
I could go on, but we've used it for nine years can't get results as good any other way.

Stephen Ray

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 10:26:49 pm »

We currently use wasatch with our 44" wide format 9890 by epson.  It works great and we love all the features, but it doesnt allow us to use RGB profiles.

I think you current RIP does support RGB profiles. Are you sure you have a full understanding of the RIP / Print process? Set your Wasatch to honor RGB input profiles and then build customer output profiles for all your print devices and media with their individual settings.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 10:46:59 am »

Wasatch Softrip's RGB route was not even trusted by Wasatch itself when asked years ago. As the support of the 12 ink Z3200 was lousy I thought that could be a solution. My Softrip has not seen use for years. Qimage Ultimate is way better for photographers, 15 year experience I estimate.

Ernst

brinked

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 02:16:36 pm »

I know how to use the qimage software.  It does not fit our needs.  For the price, I think its great for many users.  Its a great piece of software for a personal individual who prints only their photos, but not for a commercial lab.  We print many 20x60" type tif files at a time along with other large sizes.  The qimage software is not very responsive and is simply not designed for this type of job.

Will probably just have our own software made to suit our exact needs.  Sometimes, you just want to print files using the RGB driver and not the CMYK Rip profile.  I wish wasatch would have realized this and made this an option.

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 03:52:10 am »

You could try ColorGATE ProductionServer, which has good automatic and manual nesting capabilities and will drive both Epson and Canon wide-format printers in RGB mode via an OEM module (e.g. EpsonHTM) with standard RGB profiles. I believe it is also capable of profiling and driving these printers as CMYK if necessary, though it's recommended to use RGB for easiest and best results.

If you contact their sales/support people they should be able to arrange a 30-day trial.

I've used ColorGATE now for some 14 years and with various Encad, Epson and Canon printers, so please do ask if you have any specific questions.

Cheers,

Malcolm

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 10:19:20 am »

Too bad you can't use a Mac to run the RIP - ColorBurst Overdrive RIP actually does a really good job with canned RGB profiles. You can print to it from a PC, too.

The EFI Express RIP comes with 2500 CMYK profiles and supports lots of printers, and will run on either a PC or a Mac. Epson includes it with their SureColor P800 and P8000 Designer Edition printers. They include a Photo preset that allows: "Processing of RGB PS/EPS/PDF based file formats in RGB color space".

Tony

brinked

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 08:31:17 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys.  I actually found a software that does exactly what I was looking for.  Its 100% spot on...except its for mac only...HAH!  Its called printao8.

We do have a mac in our lab and we will further demo the software to see if its worth it to setup a separate mac station to run the RGB rip.  I will report with my feedback if anyone is interested.

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 08:49:46 pm »

Mark Segal reviewed Printao 8 earlier this year,
as part of the Back to the Print series.

Regards,
Dale
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 05:57:09 am »

I know how to use the qimage software.  It does not fit our needs.  For the price, I think its great for many users.  Its a great piece of software for a personal individual who prints only their photos, but not for a commercial lab.  We print many 20x60" type tif files at a time along with other large sizes.  The qimage software is not very responsive and is simply not designed for this type of job.

Will probably just have our own software made to suit our exact needs.  Sometimes, you just want to print files using the RGB driver and not the CMYK Rip profile.  I wish wasatch would have realized this and made this an option.

An older Mac + Printao8 would be faster than a fast PC + Qimage Ultimate? Less than a week practice makes nobody skilled enough to use QU optimally. Takes way more time but will still be rewarding. The low price is no indication for its quality. The GUI is like that because it has so many features to cover and you will probably use less than 30% of the features. Not usable for a commercial lab? I know a guy with about 5 wide format printers, mainly Canon, one Epson, up to 60", all driven by Qimage Ultimate and he drives a Tesla himself.  Shop will employ 3 people at the end of the year.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Pages: [1]   Go Up