Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: open as layers in PS doesn't work anymore  (Read 9831 times)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
open as layers in PS doesn't work anymore
« on: September 21, 2016, 11:01:26 am »

Hello,

I've got the CC suite for photographers. Since LightRoom 2015.6 the function open as layers in PhotoShop doen't work anymore. When I right click on a group of phootos and choose open as layers in PhotoShop, it take 1 or 2 minutes and a popup appears stating that PhotoShop couldn't be started for any reasons. When I right click on a single picture and choose open in PhotoShop, LightRoom opens PhotoShop properly and imports the photo. Both are raws. When I start PhotoShop and do the same again, it does like it should, which means opens every single image as a single layer in PhotoShop.
The update to LightRoom 2015.7 and the latest PhotoShop / ACR doesn't fix the problem. My system is running on Windows 10 1607.

Is it just a problem on my system or does anyone else have the same issue.

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

bjanes

Re: open as layers in PS doesn't work anymore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 11:40:37 am »

Hello,

I've got the CC suite for photographers. Since LightRoom 2015.6 the function open as layers in PhotoShop doen't work anymore. When I right click on a group of phootos and choose open as layers in PhotoShop, it take 1 or 2 minutes and a popup appears stating that PhotoShop couldn't be started for any reasons. When I right click on a single picture and choose open in PhotoShop, LightRoom opens PhotoShop properly and imports the photo. Both are raws. When I start PhotoShop and do the same again, it does like it should, which means opens every single image as a single layer in PhotoShop.
The update to LightRoom 2015.7 and the latest PhotoShop / ACR doesn't fix the problem. My system is running on Windows 10 1607.

Is it just a problem on my system or does anyone else have the same issue.

Robert

Robert,

Selecting 2 raw files in LR and right clicking on my Win 10 Pro machine and choosing Open as Layers in Photoshop, does work properly. I'm on LR CC 2015.6.1. For the Windows edition, from the control panel ap, it merely states Windows 10 Pro. I have applied all the updates.

Regards,

Bill

PS

On updating to LR 2015.7, right clicking on selected raw files and selecting Open as Layers in Photoshop does nothing. No opening of files, no error message.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:50:44 am by bjanes »

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:52:36 am »

This is a sporadic problem that occurs occasionally for some users. I have seen it once or twice.

The workaround is to have Photoshop already launched before the Edit In invocation.

The typical solution has been a reinstallation of Photoshop after the most recent Lightroom installation.
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

bjanes

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 12:04:38 pm »

This is a sporadic problem that occurs occasionally for some users. I have seen it once or twice.

The workaround is to have Photoshop already launched before the Edit In invocation.

The typical solution has been a reinstallation of Photoshop after the most recent Lightroom installation.

See my previous message for details. I uninstalled PS and re-installed it, and the problem persists. After a long delay, the error message shown below does appear. Having PS open does allow proper opening in layers.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 12:16:47 pm »

Since updating to LS CC 2015.7 yesterday I've been getting this problem, as Rikk describes.

It occurs for me if Photoshop isn't already open.  In this case, "Edit in - open in layers in PS" does nothing.  If I open PS manually, then the previous request in LR to open-in-layers in PS then happens. 

As the workaround is so simple I probably shan't bother to reinstall PS at the moment.  Not at the "broadband" speed I get.

mbaginy

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 12:17:51 pm »

Robert, I also use the CC suite for photographers and have no problem opening as layers.  I'm running a Mac though and have installed all updates.

Could it be that you have some preference unchecked?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 12:37:40 pm »

It is due to the new LR CC 2015.7 update on a Win 10 machine (not ACR).  I've just spent 5 hrs with an Adobe tech on line and he could not fix it.  While he was working on my desktop I opened my laptop.  Open layers was working fine.  I updated LR only and it stopped

I and the tech tried the following;

Killed LR prefs
Killed PS prefs
Uninstalled LR and PS and reinstalled
Uninstalled ALL Adobe software and reinstalled
Tried Safe mode
Created a new user account

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 12:39:56 pm »

See my previous message for details. I uninstalled PS and re-installed it, and the problem persists. After a long delay, the error message shown below does appear. Having PS open does allow proper opening in layers.

Yes, you have to wait 3 minutes.  But as stated above if PS is already open, or if you open it before the error message the files will open OK in layers, so there is a workaround.  Also the normal Edit in PS works OK with many files but of course they open as separate tabs.

bjanes

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 01:00:33 pm »

Robert, I also use the CC suite for photographers and have no problem opening as layers.  I'm running a Mac though and have installed all updates.

Could it be that you have some preference unchecked?

When did you install the update? On my Mac laptop, open in Photoshop layers worked properly until I installed the 2015.7 update that just became available. Now I get the same error message as with Windows LR. Apparently, Adobe is an equal opportunity provider.

Bill

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 01:14:25 pm »

Thank you all for the nice and useful answers !

Good to know that I'm not alone with my problems. I will use the work-around for the next time and wait for Adobe to fix this problem with one of their next updates.

BR Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 01:34:50 pm »

I'm seeing similar issues, OS X 10.11.6.

Open as layers only works if Photoshop is already running, otherwise nothing happens and eventually LR gives me the message the files could not be opened because Photoshop could not be launched.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 01:43:22 pm »

I was given an ID number for the job the tech spent all morning on.  Ho told me that it would be elevated to level 2 and would take 24-48 hrs and someone would call.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 02:31:38 pm »

Rikk,

How thoroughly do Adobe QC/QR staff do their pre-flight checks on these application updates before unleashing them on the victims, sorry - I mean customers? Thank goodness it's not the air transport industry. Looking at the history of releases over the past several years, don't you think it's time for Senior Management there to look into some remedial action? After the last colour management debacle I developed firm resolve that I shall wait a good three months before updating anything from Adobe. By that time the early adopters will have done the rest of us a service through forums like this to have done your QC for you, the bugs will get fixed, and then one can update with confidence in a smooth computing experience. This is not the way it should be.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

rdonson

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 04:02:54 pm »

It's getting ridiculous.  Not only do we have some obvious bugs with each Adobe release I just got hit with a Catch-22.  I can sign in to the "Adobe Family" with my ID but can't comment on the link that Rikk provided.  I supposed its because I don't allow all the TRACKERS on the site to function. 

Perhaps Adobe needs a bug bounty program.  An extra free year of CC for every bug reported that turns out to be true.
Regards,
Ron

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 04:05:11 pm »

Same issue in both Windows 10 and Windows 7

ButchM

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 04:23:34 pm »

Rikk,

How thoroughly do Adobe QC/QR staff do their pre-flight checks on these application updates before unleashing them on the victims, sorry - I mean customers?

That is a good question.

I can understand if a bug jumps out that was missed because it is the result of an obscure combination of events or hardware components that would not be easily configured for testing purposes ... but this is the third such issue in recent updates, that while not global in occurrence, seems to span a pretty wide spectrum of OS versions on both platforms.

I don't expect any software developer to offer pure perfection ... but this recent track record is not impressive and does little to enhance end user confidence and seems to indicate that Adobe lacks either the skill or the resolve to offer end products that have a higher level QC/QR.

It's high time Adobe stops treating their CC subscribers as pay-to-play beta testers.

mbaginy

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 12:17:33 am »

When did you install the update? On my Mac laptop, open in Photoshop layers worked properly until I installed the 2015.7 update that just became available. Now I get the same error message as with Windows LR. Apparently, Adobe is an equal opportunity provider.

Bill
Bill, I updated early this week - Monday or Tuesday.

mbaginy

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 12:19:32 am »

I'm seeing similar issues, OS X 10.11.6.

Open as layers only works if Photoshop is already running, otherwise nothing happens and eventually LR gives me the message the files could not be opened because Photoshop could not be launched.
Wayne, I also had Photoshop running.  Maybe that's why I didn't encounter any problems opening with layers.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up