Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X1D Viewfinder  (Read 3769 times)

glc

X1D Viewfinder
« on: September 20, 2016, 08:10:02 pm »

curious if anyone has any experience and anything to say about this?  a friend said " Hate the evf. Too much black out and lag. Firmware could fix it but right now I'm pass "  but id like to hear some more options from the folk who have held it to their eye.

thanks,

grant

JeffS

Re: X1D Viewfinder
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 10:10:57 pm »

Underwhelmed at the demo I attended in June. But the reps assured that prototype wasn't yet up to snuff.  We'll see.  But specs aren't comparable to the Leica SL EVF, which is the only one I find tolerable (much preferring OVF).

I suspect that folks more comfortable with EVF viewing will find it acceptable.

Jeff

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 07:17:59 am »

The X1D-50c EVF is a 2.36MP EVF, much like the one in the Sony a7R II. The Leica SL EVF is a 4.41MP EVF that is currently best-of-breed. I'm not aware of any other camera maker that [currently] uses the latter.

Joe

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 09:17:46 am »

The X1D-50c EVF is a 2.36MP EVF, much like the one in the Sony a7R II. The Leica SL EVF is a 4.41MP EVF that is currently best-of-breed. I'm not aware of any other camera maker that [currently] uses the latter.

Most probably because the Sony sensors aren't able to stream at the SL EVF resolution.

Cheers,
Bernard

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 09:21:34 am »

I think we miss one point. It's not only about resolution. Also about refresh rate. Here the Leica SL beats everyone. However, with a 24MP sensor thats easier.

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

tcdeveau

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 09:42:06 am »

I thought it was fine.  Neither impressive nor underwhelming, but I've never paid attention to EVF specs.  Again, what I saw was with pre-production firmware, so operation in the final version may be different.  I use a Sony A7R and Fuji X-T1 (neither of which have a best-in-class EVF), and because I can use those just fine I imagine the X1D viewfinder will be just fine for my tastes too.  It's definitely not the huge, bright, OVF of the H-series that I'm used to, but I'm happy to trade an OVF and the sub-par LCD of my old H4D-40 for compactness and an EVF with live-view and focus magnification.  Despite any deficiencies in EVFs in general (blackout/lag/etc), I've grown to like them simply because they make checking focus/exposure MUCH easier in bright sunlight...no more squinting at a glare-y LCD and a higher rate of nailed focus captures for me. 

I finally put my $$ where my mouth is and placed my X1D order yesterday.  Now the wait.....

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 09:49:38 am »

I think we miss one point. It's not only about resolution. Also about refresh rate. Here the Leica SL beats everyone.

Indeed, same root cause which is the data throughput offthe sensor.

Cheers,
Bernard

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 05:07:02 pm »

Having handled the camera a couple of times, including today, I can say that the EVF is "not bad". If I otherwise liked the camera (I do) it would not materially affect my purchasing decision.  That said, I suspect it won't be long before much better EVFs are standard fare, which is a bit of a pill to swallow on a camera of this value.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

hubell

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 07:18:39 pm »

Having handled the camera a couple of times, including today, I can say that the EVF is "not bad". If I otherwise liked the camera (I do) it would not materially affect my purchasing decision.  That said, I suspect it won't be long before much better EVFs are standard fare, which is a bit of a pill to swallow on a camera of this value.

- N.

Thanks, Nick. I agree with your assessment, but as you know, every camera you buy today is subject to some degree of obsolescence. Since you have actually handled both the X1D and the new Fuji mockup, I am very curious about your view as to which camera and 2 or 3 lenses you would prefer to take on an extended trip. How do the systems compare in size and overall weight? Any sense about comparative weatherproofing?

JeffS

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 10:21:54 am »

I know that lensrentals will be carrying the X1D, and I've inquired if they will also carry the GFX.  If so, I'm hoping that they will eventually conduct their always revealing tear-downs on both to help assess build quality and weather sealing.

Jeff

The View

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 06:56:18 pm »

- N.

That's the advantage of the Fuji with its more modular system. Great foresight by the Fuji people to make certain parts exchangeable.

The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 07:24:20 pm »

Most probably because the Sony sensors aren't able to stream at the SL EVF resolution.

Cheers,
Bernard

Of course Bernard - a sensor that can do 4K should not be expected to be able to stream to the EVF. That makes sense ????????????
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 08:49:29 pm »

Of course Bernard - a sensor that can do 4K should not be expected to be able to stream to the EVF. That makes sense ????????????

While you are making so much sense, can you remind me what camera using this 50mp Sony small MF sensor does 4K?

Why do you think Hassy didn't implement 4K in the H6D-50c while they did in the H6D-100c?

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 11:29:53 pm »

While you are making so much sense, can you remind me what camera using this 50mp Sony small MF sensor does 4K?

Why do you think Hassy didn't implement 4K in the H6D-50c while they did in the H6D-100c?

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, you cited the A7r2.

I have no info on whether the "50" sensors are 4K capable. I suspect they are. That doesn't mean that Sony's customers want to pay for the necessary added readout circuitry to achieve this bandwidth - AFAIK the sensor can be configured for several readout widths, but 4K probably requires maxed out width at maxed out clock rate.

Many years ago I had to take a computer architecture course -that was before France became a fashion and wine country and China the tech powerhouse of the world- and the first thing they taught me that the price of a system essentially depends on the width of the data pathways which the designer decides to implement. I don't know if that is still as true now, but the argument still holds weight.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 11:58:26 pm »

Bernard, you cited the A7r2.

No, I did not. I quoted somebody else who had mentioned the EVFs of the X1D and a7rII but my focus, within a thread about the X1D, was the Sony 50mp that probably doesn't support 4k video based on available evidence.

I have spent enough time with Sony cameras to know as well as anybody else that many Sony sensors do support 4K video. The poor viewfinder of the a7rII is probably a marketing decision aimed at creating differentiation with the a9.

Anyway, it isn't very charitable of you to conclude that a mix of ignorance and stupidity have generated my comment instead of reaching the more logical conclusion that I must have been speaking about the topic being discussed in this thread... But, considering the time at which you posted, I'll blame that on too many drinks. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

hexx

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 02:51:45 pm »

Didn't want to start a new thread and the question somehow seems to be related.

There were some comments that X1D's EVF isn't WYSIWYG (see comments on this article).

Is this information correct? Asking the ones who have had some hands-on experience with the camera.

landscapephoto

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 03:33:02 pm »

There were some comments that X1D's EVF isn't WYSIWYG

I would take these comments with a grain of salt. The firmware on the camera tested is not final, adding that option should be trivial. Besides, I would not exclude that some menu gives the choice of wysiwyg viewfinder or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up