Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Working Space For Black And White In Driver  (Read 1896 times)

HowardG

• http://www.hgrillphotographic.com
Best Working Space For Black And White In Driver
« on: September 19, 2016, 10:26:16 PM »

When I had my Epson printer I never really used the ABW mode, especially since most of my monochrome prints were toned. I simply printed them as color images using the paper profile for color printing. I am interested in exploring the black and white mode of my new Canon IPG 2000 with third party papers. I gather this can be done by assigning 'printer manages color' in PS and the black and white mode in the Canon driver and using the custom media settings I made in the Media Config Tool for paper feed etc but obviously not the color icc profile. In addition I have seen articles about linearization by making an icc profile from a series of patch readings.

I am a bit confused though about what the best working space for a file to be in before sending it to the printer for untoned black and white prints using the black and white printing mode in the Canon driver.  Prophoto RGB, Adobe RGB, Grayscale, Gamma 1.8, Gamma 2.2 etc.

I could use some enlightenment as well as an understanding of why one would be better than the others

Thanks

Howard

HowardG

• http://www.hgrillphotographic.com
Re: Best Working Space For Black And White In Driver
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 10:36:26 PM »

And of course I am referring to how to send or convert the file after it has been converted to black and white using either PS layers or Nik Silver Efex Pro.

Howard

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 03:11:11 PM »

I've always used a 2.2 gamma space, but it's based on something I was told years ago, so I'd be very interested to see if there is a definitive answer for this (preferably with a pointer to some available documentation rather than just a newer opinion ;-)

donbga

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 09:06:52 AM »

I've always used a 2.2 gamma space, but it's based on something I was told years ago, so I'd be very interested to see if there is a definitive answer for this (preferably with a pointer to some available documentation rather than just a newer opinion ;-)

Keith,

You know good and well why gamma 2.2 is used. Quit being coy.

Paul Roark

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 01:38:51 PM »

I use gray gamma 2.2 also.  Like Adobe RGB, it uses the gamma 2.2.  I have the cameras set to Adobe RGB.  I would think keeping things most consistent would be a good goal.  I suspect every adjustment involves some information loss.  (It also displays well on the web.)

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

roscoetuff

• Skip Mersereau
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 08:56:41 AM »

FWIW, I'm using my camera on AdobeRGB. As I understand, Gray Gamma is a workspace within AdobeRGB, so this will work fine. I'm using Capture One to convert the image to B&W, and process to a TIFF which is then opened in an ImagePrint page set up for printing "Gray" color space. The image itself is then color corrected to a Narrow Gamut - which refines the control over the gray / black / white tone ranges. This seems to work and create a beautiful image space.
"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
Pages: [1]   Go Up