Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm GFX just announced with 6 lenses (all available in 2017)  (Read 27567 times)

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
Re: Fujifilm FGX just announced with 6 lenses (all available in 2017)
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2016, 07:18:31 pm »

Many of us shoot tethered, so I see tethering as a giant weakness for this camera. I doubt PhaseOne will support it officially in CaptureOne and dedicate any time to optimizing the RAW files coming out of it. What else does Fuji use for tethering if not CaptureOne? Writing their own software? We all know how long this takes and how hard it is to get right. LightRoom? Sure, support will certainly be there but speed has always been secondary when it comes to tethering with it.

Good luck with your tethering solution Fuji.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the most important feature of the GFX. In the video they have posted of the fashion shoot, the photographer is quite clearly shooting tethered to C1 PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin, can you ask about this tomorrow?

Regards,
Jason.

Theodoros

Re: Fujifilm GFX just announced with 6 lenses (all available in 2017)
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2016, 07:55:30 pm »

Rico Pfirstinger just posted a worth reading detailed analysis on the GFX-50s https://fuji-x-secrets.net/2016/09/21/inside-the-fujifilm-gfx-50s/  He confirms in the article (after talking with the Fuji people that are involved in the project at photokina) that the camera will work with leaf shutter lenses...

The exact words in the article are these:

"There will be a range of adapters to connect third-party lenses to the GFX 50S, including leaf shutter lenses for studio and flash work. For example, there has been reports about a Hasselblad HC adapter with leaf shutter, electronic aperture and autofocus support."

Also... I'm now sure that the mount is able to accept a FF 54x40mm sensor... I'm sorry I can't share the source, but it is a result out of careful calculations made by an engineering team that is researching the use and compatibility with lenses of various mirrorless cameras (FF too) as to be used for image area with shutter on a bellows camera.

EDIT: In Rico's article, it is also mentioned that the camera will be available "in spring" and that with the camera's entrance in the market, specification will include "HQ 30fps video"  and "at least 51200 ISO range"... 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:38:24 pm by Theodoros »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2016, 08:37:56 pm »

"There will be a range of adapters to connect third-party lenses to the GFX 50S, including leaf shutter lenses for studio and flash work. For example, there has been reports about a Hasselblad HC adapter with leaf shutter, electronic aperture and autofocus support."

These reports probably being your postings in this very forum... ;)

Anyway, I will soon be invested in the H system, so I would love this to be true, but I still doubt it.

Cheers,
Bernard

Theodoros

« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2016, 09:01:23 pm »

These reports probably being your postings in this very forum... ;)

Anyway, I will soon be invested in the H system, so I would love this to be true, but I still doubt it.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rico is reporting the specifications and project aspects he discussed with the Fuji people Bernard, I'm sure Kevin had a similar conversation and can confirm... I've also have information from other people that are in Photokina that Fuji people confirm that it is a company policy to make the body adaptable with third party lenses... So much more for HC/HCD lenses, which are not "third party", but rather... "family".

There is a "volcano" explosion happening at photokina because of this camera and it seems that it is justified too... I have to say, I try my best to find a way as to be among the first consumers....

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2016, 10:14:36 pm »

Rico is reporting the specifications and project aspects he discussed with the Fuji people Bernard, I'm sure Kevin had a similar conversation and can confirm... I've also have information from other people that are in Photokina that Fuji people confirm that it is a company policy to make the body adaptable with third party lenses... So much more for HC/HCD lenses, which are not "third party", but rather... "family".

There is a "volcano" explosion happening at photokina because of this camera and it seems that it is justified too... I have to say, I try my best to find a way as to be among the first consumers....

Let's hope you are right.

Cheers,
Bernard

The View

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2016, 12:55:58 am »

The idea with exchangeable viewfinders is very good - and taken from old rangefinder cameras who could exchange theirs - only they were optical.

I just wonder why it has to be an EV? There are classic rangefinder cameras like the Plaubel Makina - I'd love to see such a concept on a digital camera (not the fixed lens thing, of course)

Why not stick optical viewfinders on top, right at the optical axis, so you have only one kind of parallax to deal with?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2016, 03:02:22 am »

Hi Chris,

One of the main reasons that I don't want a larger battery on the A7rII…

Best regards
Erik

Theo,

Even though camera bodies mount on the view cameras via the bellows, the grip can be a problem with the FRONT standard.  I noticed how the A7r2 had more of an issues with this than the A7r1.  The A7r2 just barely works on my Universalis with Canon lenses.  If the Fuji does indeed have a deeper sensor to flange distance, then I don't think it's going to be compatible with view cameras using Canon lenses.

This is all moot until we have real world testing, tho...
Erik Kaffehr

Theodoros

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2016, 05:22:03 am »

Hi Chris,

One of the main reasons that I don't want a larger battery on the A7rII…

Best regards
Erik

Chris refers to the Universallis (only) use with the Sony α7 and short flange distance lenses made for mirrorbox DSLRs... The "problem" clearly is with Arca insisting to use square boards on the front (lens) frame which then comes too close to the grip when one uses the lens focused near infinity... If Arca would use circular frames, like the Cambo Actus or Actus XL does, there would clearly be no problem, no matter the size of the grip... I guess they will have to redesign the lens frame of the Universallis if they want it to be compatible with Fuji GFX and lenses made for Nikon or Canon... No big deal... Don't know why they didn't do it in the first place.

chrismuc

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2016, 07:59:41 am »

According to Rico's report, the GFX will have an EVF with higher 1280 x 960 resolution (similar to the Leica SL, just in 1.33/1 instead of 1.5/1 format) at 60 fps, not the lower 1024 resolution EVF that it used in the Hasselblad X1D. And with 0,85x size it is larger than all OVFs or EVFs in the 0,77x to 0,80x range, that are normally considered to be 'large'.

marc aurel

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2016, 01:16:09 pm »

The Fuji GFX makes a lot of my dreams come true.

What would make it absolutely perfect for my needs: if somebody would build a kind of „universal“ shift adapter for it. With a feature set like:
   •   Horizontal and vertical shift separated. Like a very small pancake camera. Geared shifts as smooth and self-locking as for example the ones on an Arca Swiss Rm3Di. I wouldn’t need tilt very much.
   •   Making use of the 12 electronic contacts of the GFX to control electronic aperture of lenses from different manufacturers and to record used lens in exif.
   •   With interchangeable front plates for different lens manufacturers, including the mounts and - if necessary - additional electronics. You could start with one plate and make it an open platform so that others could add front plates for other lens systems.
   •   Record the amount of shift in EXIF! That would allow to apply lens correction profiles without guessing (which lens was that? Fuck, I forgot to note the small amount of horizontal shift I added, not to mention the vertical shift)
   •   Make it thin enough that Canon Lenses can be used too.

I would pay thousands for such a solution. It would turn the GFX into a dream camera for architecture. Of course I want too much. But since Fuji suddenly brought up something so amazing like GFX…
If I want too much - just give me a fixed adapter with aperture control for Canon TS-Es fast - a much smaller dream :(

Marc
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:23:41 pm by marc aurel »

BJL

« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2016, 09:06:02 pm »

An interview about the GFX with Toshihisa Iida, Fujifilm's General Manager of the Sales and Marketing Group) at https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/7988407692/interview-fujifilm-explains-the-gfx-50s-medium-format-mirrorless  (video and transcript):
Thee is ambiguity about the "new sensor", which might be new in the same way that Fujifilm described the X-Trans sensors as their own new designs: new as a whole, by combining newly developed toppings (micro-lenses, CFA's) and related processing changes with a "bare chip" provided by Sony:
This sensor is a big sensor and you have to you know capture the light as straight as possible. So, in order to do that, we optimized the microlenses on the surface of the sensor. So the microlens and the signal process is also optimized.

I also see further evidence – with some waffling and/or imperfect English phrasing – that once the anti-alias filter can be removed, X-Trans is not worthwhile:
. . . this is a Bayer sensor.
. . .
So X-Trans, you know, works perfectly well for APS-C format. For this large format, although we eliminate the low-pass filter, we found the sensor is large enough without X-Trans CMOS sensor.

And fairly promising news about the arrival time:
So all we are targeting release of the body and the three lenses together

Early next year, 2017

Theodoros

« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2016, 07:08:17 am »

An interview about the GFX with Toshihisa Iida, Fujifilm's General Manager of the Sales and Marketing Group) at https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/7988407692/interview-fujifilm-explains-the-gfx-50s-medium-format-mirrorless  (video and transcript):

It is particularly interesting that the RAW processing of the images is mentioned... I wonder what Fuji has up on their sleeve on the matter... Tradition suggests that they leave nothing without attention and then, that they have the technology to compete up to the top...

wallpaperviking

« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2016, 02:26:02 am »

The "aperture ring" on the Fuji lenses is not a traditional design is it? 

As in, it communicates electronically with the Fuji GFX only and would not be able to be placed on another smaller format camera and have the ability to be able to adjust the aperture?

landscapephoto

« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2016, 03:28:06 pm »

I took this picture on Fuji's boot. It shows the viewfinder attachment relatively well:

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2016, 04:52:39 pm »

How is the size of the viewfinder compared to a OVF on a Hasselblad H body?

landscapephoto

« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2016, 06:32:19 pm »

How is the size of the viewfinder compared to a OVF on a Hasselblad H body?

It is much smaller.

wallpaperviking

« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2016, 07:44:17 am »

The "aperture ring" on the Fuji lenses is not a traditional design is it? 

As in, it communicates electronically with the Fuji GFX only and would not be able to be placed on another smaller format camera and have the ability to be able to adjust the aperture?

Just another quick one...

I always heard about "16 bit color" when discussing MFD but as yet I have not seen this in any of the Fuji press. 

Does this exist?  Or is this a Phase One invention?

hubell

« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2016, 11:04:37 am »

Has Fuji stated whether the GFX lenses and body are capable of accommodating the 100 MP full frame Sony sensor without any sort of a crop factor?

BJL

« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2016, 11:20:08 pm »

Has Fuji stated whether the GFX lenses and body are capable of accommodating the 100 MP full frame Sony sensor without any sort of a crop factor?
Fujifilm has not said anything about its new 44x33 format GFX mirrorless system being compatible with a larger sensor format like 54x40; nor has Hasselblad or any other maker of a new system and lens mount being compatible with a larger format.  But Theodoros has assured us that the GFX mount can handle this.

Whether the current lenses cover the larger format is far less clear. Sony launched the E mount in APS-C format and then super-sized to 35mm format and "FE" lenses: do any of the "E" lenses originally released for APS-C format "NEX" bodies work without vignetting on 35mm format E-mount bodies?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:26:35 pm by BJL »

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2016, 05:13:31 am »

Some overlays of other sensors that may help, albeit the ray path on this new camera will angle under the mount it seems after some Fuji lens demo's

Diagram from:

http://fujiaddict.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up