Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Hills Drive-By  (Read 3461 times)

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Black Hills Drive-By
« on: September 19, 2016, 07:44:45 am »

Hello all,
My brother and I will be driving through SD on our way to Denver. We are staying Here: Spearfish Canyon Lodge. It will probably be a late afternoon drive from Rapid City to the lodge, just wondering what route would be best in case I get some lucky light? Here is a screenshot from the basic options in google; I'm guessing the blue one, but only because it has the least I90.

Any recommendations?

Dave

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Black Hills Drive-By
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 12:44:04 am »

Take the road less traveled, in this case any U.S. Highway (the black and white shield signs), not an interstate (red and blue shield). There are lots of goodies you will probably see along the way so make sure you've got some extra time built into your travel plans. Though it's been years since I've been there, there's a lot to see along the way between Rapid City and Spearfish and an afternoon drive may just be a gateway drug to get you to come back for a longer trip.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 08:40:07 pm »

Thanks for the input Larry!

Dave

mkihne

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 01:41:38 pm »

Thanks for the input Larry!

Dave

One mile behind the lodge is two tiered Roughlock falls. Should be gorgeous this time of year with fall color.  Google Spearfish canyon. Several blogs with mini treks off main road that don't take a lot of time(some you can drive by if you aren't looking for them). Buffalo roundup in Custer state park last Friday of the month if you are still there(1500 buffalo all in one place is impressive). If you are there earlier the buffalo are free in the park and you can get some impressive photos on the park "wildlife loop" in a few hours. This is only a short drive from the lodge.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 03:58:38 pm »

Perfect. Thanks for the beta.

Dave

One mile behind the lodge is two tiered Roughlock falls. Should be gorgeous this time of year with fall color.  Google Spearfish canyon. Several blogs with mini treks off main road that don't take a lot of time(some you can drive by if you aren't looking for them). Buffalo roundup in Custer state park last Friday of the month if you are still there(1500 buffalo all in one place is impressive). If you are there earlier the buffalo are free in the park and you can get some impressive photos on the park "wildlife loop" in a few hours. This is only a short drive from the lodge.

mkihne

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 04:41:39 pm »

Perfect. Thanks for the beta.

Dave
BTW, the blue route would be best. You can go south from Rapid on (I think) hwy 79 which connects into the Custer state park and then onto spearfish canyon route to the lodge. Rushmore, of course, is in the vacinity. Check pics of Sylvan Lake for slight detour. Nice rock reflections in the lake if no wind.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 08:07:47 am »

Thanks again. Supposed to rain there today so clouds and rain might be good for the falls. I will have some time this evening and tomorrow morning but that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkihne

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 10:01:07 am »

Thanks again. Supposed to rain there today so clouds and rain might be good for the falls. I will have some time this evening and tomorrow morning but that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good shooting. Post some pics of your trip. Fog and rain/overcast may give you some unique photos. I think the canyon may be great for those photos.
I'm leaving this morning from Sioux Falls for two weeks in Colorado (Aspen,Crested Butte, San Juan Mnts) for fall color trip and am overnighting in Custer near the park. Doing a "drive by" thru the Badlands on the way. Good luck.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 08:04:36 pm »

Really windy. didn't get here till 6 so I don't think there will be any shooting tonight. Hopefully tomorrow morning...

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 08:07:30 am »

Although Saturday didn't work out timing and weather-wise, Sunday morning was very nice. I got to do one of my favorite things: Get up early and start hiking before astronomical dawn when in a place for the first time. I usually get a strong sense of place while the light changes from barely seeing the trail to sunrise.

It turned out to be a bright blue sky morning, but the canyon provided shade in parts through 9:00 am. Here is a link to some images:
Spearfish
(Note this is a temporary site I am testing so most of the links outside this gallery are broken or incomplete)
Camera: Sony a7rii
Lenses: Leica apo 50mm asph f/2, Leica 90mm f/2, Leica R 180mm f/2.8 apo

A few highlights, all three with the 90mm f/2:

mkihne, thanks again for the info. Hope your trip is going well with good light.

Dave

mkihne

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 10:01:12 am »

Although Saturday didn't work out timing and weather-wise, Sunday morning was very nice. I got to do one of my favorite things: Get up early and start hiking before astronomical dawn when in a place for the first time. I usually get a strong sense of place while the light changes from barely seeing the trail to sunrise.

It turned out to be a bright blue sky morning, but the canyon provided shade in parts through 9:00 am. Here is a link to some images:
Spearfish
(Note this is a temporary site I am testing so most of the links outside this gallery are broken or incomplete)
Camera: Sony a7rii
Lenses: Leica apo 50mm asph f/2, Leica 90mm f/2, Leica R 180mm f/2.8 apo

A few highlights, all three with the 90mm f/2:

mkihne, thanks again for the info. Hope your trip is going well with good light.

Dave

Nice shot of upper Roughlock.  Yeah the wind was brutal. My Rubicon "liked" every gas station we passed. Got some pics of part of the buffalo herd in Custer Park(about 200 head). Headed for Independence Pass today and overnite in Aspen for Maroon Bells in am, Crystal Mill, Dallas Divide and on to Telluride.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 10:33:43 am »

I know what you mean about the Jeep. I have a 2013 JKUR w/ 37's. Somewhere between Rapid City and Lead we passed a line of ~ 20 Jeeps that had obviously been somewhere fun. I was jealous for a minute until my brother passed them all in one uphill passing lane opportunity. We were driving his M6 out to Denver. Fun car on US 85 South through Wyoming.

Post some images if you get some time.

Ciao,
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up