Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D successor  (Read 16768 times)

oak

Canon 5D successor
« on: June 27, 2006, 12:12:03 pm »

I'm upgrading from a 20D to a 5D as I want both the resolution for large prints, the full-frame (most importantly), and spot metering. But as the 5D's been out for a year I don't want to find that in a few weeks Canon announce a full-frame sensor in a 30D type body at half the price, or a revised version of the 5D! If anyone knows of anything impending I'd love a heads-up

DarkPenguin

Canon 5D successor
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 12:24:24 pm »

There is a forum thread at DPreview that claims the 5D is going to be around for a while.  Apparently a "canon rep" said so.

As it has been heard on the internet, it must be true.

Gregory

• http://www.gregory.hk
Canon 5D successor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 12:55:00 pm »

on the other hand, I have to wonder if the 350D is going to get replaced/upgraded soon. with Fuji releasing a compact camera with ASA3200, a full 2.5" LCD monitor and >8 Mpixels, the 350D; even though it's a DSL; looks whimpy!
Gregory's Blog: [url=http://www.gregory.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Canon 5D successor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 12:55:53 pm »

I'm upgrading from a 20D to a 5D as I want both the resolution for large prints, the full-frame (most importantly), and spot metering. But as the 5D's been out for a year I don't want to find that in a few weeks Canon announce a full-frame sensor in a 30D type body at half the price, or a revised version of the 5D! If anyone knows of anything impending I'd love a heads-up
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69245\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

By the way, should you go this route, I might recommend hanging on to the 20D. I find having both quite useful. The 20D makes a spectacular 1.6x telextender as well as an entirely familiar backup camera. I often walk around with both bodies for grab shots. The 20D with the 17-85 IS and the 5D with the 70-300 DO IS.

I wouldn't be too worried about the 5D being superceded. It produces such quality images, who cares?
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

benInMA

Canon 5D successor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 04:00:50 pm »

Just do it... you'll be so happy you start checking dpreview for signs of new cameras once every 6 months instead of once a week.

Buy carefully and if you've been on the "upgrade treadmill", you'll finally be able to get off it.

oak

Canon 5D successor
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 07:08:29 pm »

Just do it... you'll be so happy you start checking dpreview for signs of new cameras once every 6 months instead of once a week.

Buy carefully and if you've been on the "upgrade treadmill", you'll finally be able to get off it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69264\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Excellent advice, thank you all. Rather what I'd hoped to hear. The only reason I'd keep the 20D is just how useful a little bit of fill-in falsh can be without lugging around a honking great EX.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Canon 5D successor
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 09:22:10 pm »

Considering there are rebates on the product....

Considering that PhotoPlus Expo (the BIG USA photo show) is in late October....

I don't think Canon released anything in February for PMA so I'll bet we'll see something new in NY. I have NO inside info, just a guess.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

gochugogi

• http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
Canon 5D successor
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 12:42:26 am »

But as the 5D's been out for a year I don't want to find that in a few weeks Canon announce a full-frame sensor in a 30D type body at half the price, or a revised version of the 5D!

I thought the 5D was released Fall 2005, so this is June 2006. Sheesh, it's only been 9 months! The 30D was announced last January and wasn't shipping until the next month.

With all that said, there's always something new around the corner. If you're always waiting for that utimate whatever you'll live your life without ever leaving your driveway. However I'm sure both the 5D and 30D will be around for a year or more. By then Canon will work out the bugs and it will be safe to buy either camera just before the bug infested new model hits stores.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 12:43:01 am by gochugogi »
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try

oak

Canon 5D successor
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 11:24:11 am »

I thought the 5D was released Fall 2005, so this is June 2006. Sheesh, it's only been 9 months! The 30D was announced last January and wasn't shipping until the next month.

With all that said, there's always something new around the corner. If you're always waiting for that utimate whatever you'll live your life without ever leaving your driveway. However I'm sure both the 5D and 30D will be around for a year or more. By then Canon will work out the bugs and it will be safe to buy either camera just before the bug infested new model hits stores.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69298\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's a crazy cycle, and no point in waiting for the ultimate as you say. My order's placed, so in for a penny, in for a pound as they say. Thanks to all

KenRexach

Canon 5D successor
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 12:36:43 am »

I would bet good money that Canon will introduce a 1Ds mk2n (or mk3) come september. Dont think they are gonna replace the 5D with anything just yet.

(remember, photkina 2002, 1ds, photokina 2004, 1ds mk2...)

oak

Canon 5D successor
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 02:01:52 pm »

Wow! First pics taken w the 5D - how great to have back the lens lengths I'm familiar with! Great wide angle in the 16-24 region although needs stopping down past F8 to get rid of vignetting. And the viewfinder brightness...

BJL

Canon 5D successor
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 05:37:16 am »

Wow! First pics taken w the 5D - how great to have back the lens lengths I'm familiar with! Great wide angle in the 16-24 region although needs stopping down past F8 to get rid of vignetting
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70034\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
For that, why not just get the EF-S 10-22 for your 20D (or even a 30D upgrade plus 10-22 for far less than the 5D)? That would match the wide angle coverage of 16mm on the 5D, and that EF-S lens apparently works down f/5.6 or below, matching or bettering the f/8 restriction for DOF, speed etc.

At least the VF image size and brightness is a real advantage! (And the extra DR at low ISO).

Ray

Canon 5D successor
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 06:38:38 am »

For that, why not just get the EF-S 10-22 for your 20D [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70136\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The EF-S 10-22 for the 20D is not a patch on the Sigma 15-30 for the 5D. Do I have to go through the tedious process of demonstrating this?  

bjanes

Canon 5D successor
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 09:04:37 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69298\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Canon that is next due for an upgrade is the EOS 1D Mark II. They could keep the 8.2 micron pixels (same as the 5D), but go full frame.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Canon 5D successor
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 10:03:33 am »

The EF-S 10-22 for the 20D is not a patch on the Sigma 15-30 for the 5D. Do I have to go through the tedious process of demonstrating this? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70141\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes!  And show us comaparisons at wide, mid and long focals, centers and corners at f5.6 or f8.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 10:09:26 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Canon 5D successor
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 05:18:52 am »

Excellent advice, thank you all. Rather what I'd hoped to hear. The only reason I'd keep the 20D is just how useful a little bit of fill-in falsh can be without lugging around a honking great EX.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69278\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The new 580 isn't that big really. Besides you can't use the on camera flash with a long lens. And my 70-200 is now my most useful lens.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 05:40:51 am by dwdallam »

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Canon 5D successor
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 05:39:00 am »

It's a crazy cycle, and no point in waiting for the ultimate as you say. My order's placed, so in for a penny, in for a pound as they say. Thanks to all
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69339\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I hope you got the 300.00 rebate? I ordered mine from B&H for 2875.00 on sale with a Canon 300.oo rebate. Grand total was 2575. That's why I bought it. No way I was going to drop 3300 dollars.

Also figure how long other cameras are updated or dropped for a new type. Like others said, look how long the 20D was around, and even with the updated 30D, the 20D will still take the same quality pictures. All they did was put some fatter tires on it and give it a nice exhaust system. The engine is the same. Since the 5D has a blown hemi under its hood, it will probably be around for some time. You have probably noticed that the pixel charge has slowed way down. From what I understand, that is because pixel density is reaching its maximum for full frame sensors, the 1DsII being the max pretty much, unless there is more noise and other technical problems.

But if you have the money, there are tons of digital backs on the market now in the 25-30 MP range. Hasselblad makes a 33 MP back for about 30 grand US. It has it all too, metering, autofocus capability, metering, etc. It looks like a medium format film camera, in order to hold a sensor large enough for the pixel density and have low noise. It even has medium format film capability along with digital. Yep yep. If you want the latest technology, you can have it right now--for a price.

But I too thought about the same things when I was buying the 5D. From what I've read, I just can't see Nikon or Canon out doing it in its price range too soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up