Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 - paper feed issue  (Read 1166 times)

Cornelius

• photographer based in switzerland
    • Cornelius Fischer
Epson 3880 - paper feed issue
« on: September 19, 2016, 03:18:24 am »

Dear forum

During the last weeks I encounter more and more issues with the automated paper feed of my 2 years old Epson 3880. (printed approx. 3000 pages)
I'm printing mainly on Tecco papers (from different luster, matte photo paper to several fineart rags). I know that the coating from matte papers can reduce the grip of the auto paper feed rolls. Is there a good way to keep them clean?

I'm printing a lot of 4/6' , 5x7' and also a lot of Tecco Books in 33x33cm. Most of these prints are on Tecco PD305 (matte duo paper), PFR295 (matte fineart rag) and PFR220 (matte duo fineart rag).
When I load the auto feed with these papers it grabs a paper and feeds it to the printer but not directly to the print position (as it should do and also does e.g. with luster paper), the printer feeds the paper quite far inside and then moves it backwards and forwards (i guess to adjust the position). Also I can see sometimes roll marks on the paper, exactly on the position of the upper auto-paper feed roll. It looks like the rolls does not have enough grip and slips over the paper.

I already tried to clean the feeder rolls with ethanol. This helped for approx. 5-8 pages on the Tecco-Book Papier (PFR220), then the feeder-roll loses again the grip.
The Tecco tech-support also proposed to carefully use sandpaper on the rubber rolls to give them more grip..

Any hints from you guys?
Would it be usefull to exchange the rubber auto-feed rolls?

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
Re: Epson 3880 - paper feed issue
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 05:41:15 am »

I'm just printing 60 sheets of 4/6' with the Tecco PD305 duo. After cleaning the sheet feed rolls with cleaning benzine, 12 sheets were loaded normaly. After the 12 sheets, the automated paper feed starts again with the problem of loosing grip on the paper and loading the paper to far into the printer. Which needs the forward/backward movement of the paper to move it to the correct position. So printing works, but I loose a lot of time due to this.

I definitely know that I did not have this problem while the printer was new and the auto-feed rolls where new and clean..
So do you think a replacement would be worth?

unesco

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 02:10:20 pm »

I have 3880 as well but for all the papers like yours  (also tecco pfr) I use rear feed. Matt fine arts always have a lot of paper dust, its normal.

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 07:21:27 am »

@unesco

I know about the paper dust.. So thats why cleaning with alcohol helps (at least for a couple of prints).
The rear feed will not work for me, as I'm printing a lot of 4/6 and 5/7 inch prints (10/15 and 13/18cm) on different papers. The problem with the auto loader I also have mainly with the PD305 which is a very smooth matte photopaper (not FineArt). The PFR295 actually works quite well, also in the small sizes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up