Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Type for Ilford Textured Cotton Rag - Epson 3800  (Read 2116 times)

DavidPalermo

Media Type for Ilford Textured Cotton Rag - Epson 3800
« on: September 18, 2016, 06:48:51 pm »

Hi all,

I get so tired trying to find the media types for papers when the paper manufacturer's don't list them on their website! 

Do any of you happen to know what media type is for Ilford's Textured Cotton Rag on the Epson 3800?

Thanks!

David

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Media Type for Ilford Textured Cotton Rag - Epson 3800
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 07:04:19 pm »

When you download an Ilford profile there should also be available an instruction sheet showing you how to decode the profile name to unearth the paper they used as the Media Type as well as the decoder dictionary included in an Appendix. Yes, a bit clunky, but check to see if they have what you need in that sheet for the 3800.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

DavidPalermo

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 07:08:19 pm »

Mark:  That's right but Ilford doesn't have a profile for this paper and the 3800.  They do for the 3880 but I don't know if that media type would be the same for the 3800.  I have the Ilford sample pack which contains 5 sheets of this paper and before I print I thought I'd ask here so I don't waste paper.

Thank you for your reply!

howardm

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 07:39:19 pm »

I'd be more concerned that trying to use a 3800 profile on a 3880 will yield 'good' results (good enough to warrant using that paper given cost etc etc)

DavidPalermo

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 07:48:29 pm »

Howard:  I am not trying to use a 3800 profile on a 3880.  I only have a 3800.

howardm

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 07:49:52 pm »

Sorry, I meant the other way (using a 3880 profile on the 3800).

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 07:51:45 pm »

The Media Type would probably be the same between the two printer models. Try it and see whether you're satisfied with what emerges. Use a known, documented printer test image such as the Outback Photo one. That way your total trial cost is a sheet of paper and a bit of ink.

DavidPalermo

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 07:56:53 pm »

Well, I am printing B/W so a profile is not needed.  Just a media type.  I may use Enhanced Matt Paper - that is the media type recommended by Ilford for the 3880. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 08:04:46 pm »

You mean you are printing using the Printer Managed ABW mode? In that case yes, you just need the Media Type. But I would be surprised if Enhanced Matte were the correct Media Type. As you likely know, Enhanced Matte is a kind of thin, OBA-charged fairly un-textured paper. By all means try a print using their recommendation because that is probab,y what goes into their own profile, but if it doesn't satisfy, look at the characteristics of the Ilford paper and choose the Epson brand that would seem to match more closely.

DavidPalermo

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 08:10:27 pm »

I noticed Hahnemühle Photo Rag uses the Epson Fine Art Velvet profile.  Hmmmm.... 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 09:16:33 pm »

I noticed Hahnemühle Photo Rag uses the Epson Fine Art Velvet profile.  Hmmmm....

They have their own profile - you probably mean they use the Epson Fine Art Velvet Media Type, which indeed they do. However, Hahn Photo Rag has a different character from Ilford Textured Cotton Rag. I think the Epson Watercolor Radiant or Hot Press Natural Media Types would be preferable.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 01:52:29 pm »

A lot of textured matte papers that I'm familiar with use Velvet Fine Art setting.  The various settings control the amount of ink that is layed down as well as the printing speed.  There are ways within the print driver to fine tune things if need be.  Again, it is useful to have a standard well known print that you can test.  For B/W work I always rely on Kieth Cooper's test image:  http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/test_images.html

Alan

DavidPalermo

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 02:02:29 pm »

Alan:  Yes I know.  I am just looking for the manufacture's recommendation before I use up my precious few samples.

unesco

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 02:15:25 pm »

I am not sure if it will be useful, but during the last weekend I have been playing with media type selection for some cotton based papers.

I have 3880 and used Epson driver mostly on Solution Radiant White 270 (as far as I know, it is rebranded HM cotton paper). It is not textured but it is also not smooth. I have tested Color Munki first page print options as Ultra Smooth Fine Ar, Velvet Fine Art, Watercolor Radiant..., Enhanced Matte and Archival Matte.

Finaly, after visual inspection I have selected Watercolor option. It didn't have overinking symptoms, like VFA or a bit EMP/AMP. USFA also seemd quite ok, but Watercolor pathes were the most smooth. I have to measure them as well. Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up