Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson SC P800 and the dang "AirPrint" -- H-E-L-P!  (Read 4835 times)

rdonson

Epson SC P800 and the dang "AirPrint" -- H-E-L-P!
« on: September 17, 2016, 01:01:55 pm »

I had to descramble my iMac HD and after putting humpty dumpty back together again (thanks to Disk Warrior) I'm stuck with the brain damaged AirPrint driver.

I've downloaded the latest driver from Epson, Print Driver 9.80 (epson17864.dmg) and installed it. 

No matter how many times I delete the driver from "Printers and Scanners" and re-add the P800 I continue to get "AirPrint".  There are no prompts or options during the "add" that present themselves.  Afterwards I've looked everywhere in "Printers and Scanners" to see how I can change this but nothing is available.

I know others have experienced this and resolved it so perhaps I'm just extraordinarily dense today.

H-E-L-P !!!!
Regards,
Ron

howardm

Re: Epson SC P800 and the dang "AirPrint" -- H-E-L-P!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 01:21:07 pm »

give the system the 'full' treatment.

delete the printer from the Printer Pref pane
open a Finder (or Terminal if your command line friendly) and delete /Library/Printers/EPSON folder
reboot
re-add the driver
re-add the printer and WAIT 10-20 seconds for the 'IP' or EpsonTCP or whatever to appear.

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 01:32:41 pm »

Are you installing the "Drivers and Utilities Combo Package" or just the "Printer Driver v9.80". I found when I first setup an Epson printer and used the Printer driver only, it didn't give me any options to set up the "series" driver and just automatically installed the AirPrint, I was even specifically looking out to avoid that... >:(
When I reinstalled with the full package, over USB, the option to pick the driver type came up and I made sure to select the series driver...

MS

(Edit - I just reread your OP and saw you were using the driver only, try the full Combo Package...)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 01:37:06 pm by schertz »

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 01:40:13 pm »

Thanks so much for the response, Howard and schertz.  T-H-A-N-K   Y-O-U !!!!  👏

What finally worked was downloading and installing the larger package, "Drivers and Utilities Combo Package", epson16404.dmg.  That gave me the choice to avoid the nefarious "Air Print" and get the wi-fi set up properly. 

Life is now back to normal and I'm printing on 12x12 (12x13 with drilled holes) Moab Entrada Rag Bright 190 for my Moab Chinle Ice Nine portfolio.

Sigh.... it feels great to have things working again!!!
Regards,
Ron

howardm

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 01:59:49 pm »

I didnt' know they have now made it more confusing by breaking up the packages.

To what end? 

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 02:33:44 pm »

I didnt' know they have now made it more confusing by breaking up the packages.

To what end?

IMHO Epson sells great printers, inks and papers.  Software and user experience, not so great.
Regards,
Ron

howardm

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 02:57:34 pm »

Most every company I can think of in the photo biz has horrible or ill-conceived/executed software.

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 02:58:25 pm »

Perhaps they're trying to get you to throw your printer across the room, so you'll have to go out and buy another one...  :P

lauripie

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 04:06:58 pm »

Remember you need two persons to throw it, says manual  ;)

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 05:06:55 pm »

Most every company I can think of in the photo biz has horrible or ill-conceived/executed software.

I only have experience with HP and Epson.  My HP Z3100 was a great printer with pretty bizarre software and UX until maintenance costs exceeded the value of the printer and I bought the Epson SC P800. 

Side note:  the HP Z3100 sits in the corner in a non working state - I don't print professionally and I don't want to become a printer mechanic.  If anyone is willing to come to NC and haul it down from the second floor it is yours for the asking.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up