Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P600 taking a long time to print.  (Read 1453 times)

TommyWeir

Epson P600 taking a long time to print.
« on: September 17, 2016, 09:38:32 am »

Hi all

Many thanks for all the advice earlier on selecting a printer.  I'm one month into owning an Epson P600 and loving the output I have to say.

One thing that's bothering me is the time taken to print from Capture One 9.   First the max, I did a full A3+ borderless at 5760 at one point and it took over 90 minutes to print.   That's the longest.  But a simple 5 x 7 with a small border at 1440 can take half an hour.

In reviews online I've read of much shorter times, a few minutes for a 5 x7, an A3 in 15 minutes.  The Epson starts off whizzing back and forth a few times, then slows down, taking breaks between each pass back and forth. It does a fair amount of whirring and grunting too.  Which makes me wonder if there's something up quite apart from the time.   I'm connected via Ethernet.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:17:21 am by TommyWeir »

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
Re: Epson P600 taking a long time to print.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 10:37:55 am »

Yes, that seems a little long for me as well. Some things to check:
1) What is the "Drying Time per Print Head Pass" set at, under Advanced Media Control" in the driver? This is how long the print head pauses between passes and I've never set this to anything beyond 0
2) The print head has 180 nozzles per inch, to print 1 inch at 1440 requires 8 passes, 5760 requires 32 passes of the print head. So the 5760 setting will take 4x longer to print. Consider whether or not you really need the extra print resolution... Also the "High Speed" checkbox, if you have good alignment, will halve the print time by printing bi-directionally.
3) Can you try plugging in the printer via USB to eliminate that as a variable?
4) The whirring noises the P600 makes when it is first setup is a common phenomenon (mine did that, also see here as well http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/p600-project-results-part-i/ ). It should mostly stop after a couple of weeks. It "might" be related to purging air bubbles and such after initial setup (speculation).

Check the dry time and USB first and report back if there is still a problem.

Mike

TommyWeir

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 11:12:32 am »

Thank you Mike, clear explanation.  Indeed drying time is set to 0.   I tried printing from Affinity Photo and Acorn, both yielded similar times to Capture One.

I have my printer a distance away from the computer, will move it closer and check USB before ordering a longer USB cable (I think they max out at 4-5 metres which is fine for my studio).

TommyWeir

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 12:43:43 pm »

Ah indeed it was the Ethernet.   Set it up via USB and a 5x7 popped out in under 2 minutes.   Thanks for the help, Mike.

howardm

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 01:22:34 pm »

your ethernet configuration is borked in some interesting way, most likely, the Duplex setting is the culprit everything else being reasonable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up