Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 needs to go  (Read 3793 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Epson 4900 needs to go
« on: September 16, 2016, 12:44:10 pm »

I've given up on my Epson 4900. It has a couple of clogged heads and I haven't been able to unclog them. It's now been sitting idle for over a year and I just don't have the time, energy or money to try again. I've tried everything except calling in Epson service - and frankly I don't want to pay the price. I have a 9900 that's running great and I now do all my printing on it.  I also have almost a complete set of ink cartridges that are around half full, along with the set in the unit which are about 1/3 full.... probably about $600 worth of ink.

If anyone is looking for a unit for parts, or would like to take a crack at reviving it, please make me an offer - all ink included. I just need the space.
Mike Guilbault

John V.

Re: Epson 4900 needs to go
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 04:22:11 pm »

we just recovered a lost Y channel using the maintenance kit and performing an Initial Fill procedure. This is the second time that's worked for us. Just to mention. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you've already tried that.

André Denis

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 11:06:50 am »

we just recovered a lost Y channel using the maintenance kit and performing an Initial Fill procedure. This is the second time that's worked for us. Just to mention. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you've already tried that.

Hello John,

What is the maintenance kit?

Thanks

Smoothjazz

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 12:26:01 pm »

Mike,
I don't know if you have searched this topic online, but you may want to try. There are a few sites where some knowledgable experts talk about placing a moistened tissue or cloth on the heads, and letting them soak, with good results at getting rid of the stubborn clogs. I have dealt with the same issue in the past.
Let me see if I can find the web site for you.

Cheers,

John

John V.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 06:46:28 pm »

Hello John,

What is the maintenance kit?

Thanks

Hi André,
You can search the forum for "Epson 4900 Maintenance Kit" or "2manuals" (the website that sells the kit). You will find a lot of info as well as some warnings about using it.
John
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:55:18 pm by John V. »

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 10:33:47 pm »

Mike,
I don't know if you have searched this topic online, but you may want to try. There are a few sites where some knowledgable experts talk about placing a moistened tissue or cloth on the heads, and letting them soak, with good results at getting rid of the stubborn clogs. I have dealt with the same issue in the past.
Let me see if I can find the web site for you.

Cheers,

John

Yup... tried that and many other 'solutions' to no avail. Maybe someone with more time and patience can get it to work, but since I can produce everything I need on the 9900, I really don't need the 4900 anymore.
Mike Guilbault

Smoothjazz

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 11:31:54 am »

Any comment on the print quality of the 4900 versus the newer 9900 printer? Just curious to know if my 4900 is still state of the art.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 07:42:17 pm »

No difference at all. I've run jobs for the same client, literally 100's of 8x10s, and used both machines for the production and there was no difference.
Mike Guilbault

Geoffrey James

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 11:00:01 am »

I had a sinking feeling seeing this topic heading,  having moved house and had the printer out of commission for a few months.  I have got everything going but the cyan,  which is both a perennial problem and totally blocked.  Probably time for a new  machine -- I don't go above 17 inches,  leaving the larger exhibition to an excellent custom printer in Toronto.  Don't know whether to go Canon or Epson at this point. 

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 11:02:36 am »

I have a humidifier running 24/7, but if I left the 4900 for more than a week without working, it would be clogged. I can go a couple weeks with my 9900 without any ill effects.
Mike Guilbault

Geoffrey James

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 11:46:45 am »

I am tempted by the new Canon prograf (I think) that has the gloss optimizer,  no need to switch from matte to glossy and backup nozzles in the head.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 10:05:57 pm »

Any comment on the print quality of the 4900 versus the newer 9900 printer? Just curious to know if my 4900 is still state of the art.
same ink, same basic head technology, identical prints.

And it's an outstanding printer, although technically not "state of the art".  the 9900 is several years old (at least 6), and the p9000 that replaces it has improved dMax, better blacks overall offering improved shadow detail and clarity, and a new yellow ink that has far better longevity so the Epson inks are competitive with others in fade resistance.

Visually the difference is extremely subtle on most images, although an occasional image the difference is more visible.

Maybe you thinking he bought a new p9000, sounds like Mike just took his 4900 out of production and prints that work on a printer he already had, a 9900.

regarding clogging, the 4900 is certainly the worst performing epson ever built in this regards.  I have a p9000 that is approaching a year old, used occasionally, and have only needed a clean 3 or 4 times.  Lately I've switched between MK and PK several times and only once did it clean, something most epsons seem to require every time you switch.  My 9900 was pretty good (5 years, only one maintenance tank replaced so it shows how little ink consumed in cleaning), but the p9000 appears to be better.

Geoffrey James

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 12:09:49 pm »

Mike,  I just wanted to let you know that I have brought back my 4900 from dry gulch valley.  Constant nozzle checks and auto cleaning, re-alignment,  and power cleans on blocked nozzles,  plus the overnight windex on a paper towel under the head.   I am happy -- this is less a financial thing than not wanting the delivery problem (second floor of my condo) and not wanting to have top learn a whole new bag of tricks with a Canon.  I tend to print a little every day,  and I am going to get a really good humidifier as the winter approaches. 

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 10:22:19 am »

You are correct Wayne... simply took it out of production. It was, and most likely can still be a great printer, but now my 9900 runs more often, which is a good thing, and I don't have to purchase different ink cartridges all the time. If they took the same ink cartridge, I may have tried a little longer, but after trying just about everything other than a complete head-replacement, I no longer want to spend neither time nor money trying to get it back.

If anyone wants to try... make me an offer! I'd just like something to recoup some of the money I spent on a complete set of inks trying to get it back. I just want it out of here at this point.
Mike Guilbault

CoyoteButtes

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 03:34:31 am »

My 4900 is in a box in the garage taking up space. The fix for it was purchasing a SureColor P800. I think Epson really let us down on this one. There should have been more warnings about the need to print daily with it to keep it from clogging. If anybody wants a clogged 4900 with $1000 worth of ink and a $200 cover they can have it as is for $500 + freight.

marks1300

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 08:36:23 pm »

Question for the group.

I have had a 4900 for a few years now, lightly used it, no issues with clogs.  I haven't used it for a few months and I have been working on some clogs that have been unusually stubborn.  I have most of the clogs free with the Windex technique, but I now have a new problem.  The Vm and C cartridges show low ink, and both of them are close to full.  Because of the low ink sensor readings, I cannot do any automatic head cleaning.

I made a print and it seems fine.  Now I am wondering whether I really am ink blocked, and the only reason I can print is that I am just running on ink left in the tubing.  Do you think this is just a sensor error and I can ignore it?  If you think it really is a blocked cartridge, is there any way to fix it?

Thanks

Mark

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 01:00:49 pm »

OK... just need to get it outta here - I need the room. FREE EPSON 4900 INCLUDING LOTS OF INK - Pickup only!  PM me if you're interested.
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up