Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Canyon of the Gunnison  (Read 2509 times)

Brookie

Black Canyon of the Gunnison
« on: September 15, 2016, 08:33:51 pm »

Headed to that area for a couple of days. Have never been there before. If you have any suggestions for particular places (in or away from the park) to be sure and not miss, I'd really appreciate the heads-up.

Many thanks,
Dave

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Black Canyon of the Gunnison
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 01:28:00 am »

I live in Gunnison and go there every now and then. Lots of great photography potential!

There is the South Rim which has a big visitor center and is the main part of the park. This has short hikes to really spectacular views and it's all maintained nicely with railings and stairs. Good photo opportunities all around and the scale of the canyon is mind boggling, especially Painted Wall. You often have to pay to go here although if you go early or late enough there may be nobody there to charge you.

The North Rim has a few facilities at trailheads but is a bit wilder than the other side. There are a couple of trails to hike into the canyon and all the way down to the river. There is also a great overlook and amazing views just from Hwy 92 with little pull-outs to stop and get a photo or take in a view. Scrub oak color is going off over there and is a nice change from all the yellow aspen. There is no charge for any park use on this side.

With a couple of days you might as well do a day on each side. Hike the Currecanti trail if you like that kind of thing. Sunrises and sunsets along the Hwy 92 North Rim area can be really nice. Share some photos!
-MattB

Brookie

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 09:19:25 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions Matt. I'll be sure and leave time for some stops along Rt 92. I figured I'd do a day on the north side and at least one on the south side. Also in the area to do a little fishing  ;)

Brookie

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 12:19:15 am »

Matt,
How right you were about Rte 92. Almost didn't make it to North Rim since I spent so much time on the drive over from Gunnison this AM. Thank you so much for the heads up on the area!!

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 12:54:11 am »

That's my preferred side! Glad you enjoyed it. Did you get some good photos?
-MattB

Brookie

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 10:17:57 pm »

Matt,
Hopefully I have a couple keepers. Haven't gotten home yet to work with them on the computer, will know more once I get to doing a little post.

Went back to East Portal yesterday AM. Then took a quick drive on GNF roads over to Lake City - the weather was a bit stormy and I may have a couple keepers from that drive too.

Hayhill

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 12:36:22 pm »

I was there a week or so ago (south rim) for a few hours, mid-day with bright sun. Think HDR, as my brackets are looking better than single shots. Beautiful place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up