Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon gets s bit more serious about mirrorless system cameras  (Read 5238 times)

BJL

Canon gets s bit more serious about mirrorless system cameras
« on: September 15, 2016, 07:44:52 pm »

The new EOS M5 has an EVF, and what looks like Canon's current top-of-the-line 24MP APS-C sensor with dual pixel AF:
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/15/12914966/canon-m5-mirrorless-camera-announced-price-specs

The EF-M system lens selection still has a lot of catching up to do though.

scooby70

Re: Canon gets s bit more serious about mirrorless system cameras
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 08:13:24 pm »

This will be too late for many people, me included but rather strangely there are large numbers of people who will only buy Canon (or Nikon) and to these people mirrorless will never be credible unless there's a Canon (or Nikon) mirrorless to buy and to them this camera will sell regardless of how it compares to the competitors.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 10:16:59 pm »

Yawn.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 09:02:30 am »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... 

too small a lens lineup for serious shooters but probably an appealing body for many Canonistas looking for their first mirrorless experience for travel or walkabouts.
Regards,
Ron

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 04:16:37 pm »

Seems like a great space saving backup to keep in the canon bag with an eos  adapter.  canon doesn't have the most inspiring lens lineup for aps-c or eos m.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 09:38:40 pm »

Seems like a decent still camera in search of a lens lineup but the video is woefully inadequate and way below what the competition is offering.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 10:44:06 pm »

Isnt this the same sensor as the 80D, so save using an adapter and just get yourself the 80D. this is for hipsters that love canon, and cant see themselves spending $2K for a DSLR. It even has a protrudint prizm hump even when its not mirrorless...SO this is for the fanboys, and those wanting mirrorless.  Imagine a FFrame sensor, no AA, No adapter needed 40+ megapixels and you'd have a killer on your hands.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

BJL

the EVF/hotshoe hump does not bother me
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 09:17:39 pm »

I will defend Canon on just one point (while being more intrigued by the development announcement of the Olympus OMD EM1 Mk II): the hump on top houses the EVF with the hotshoe above that, so is perfectly practical. I'll say it again: the "flat top" EVF cameras are higher than "bumptops" everywhere except at the EVF in exchange for being lower at the EVF, which they achieve by moving the hotshoe to one side of the EVF, and most flattops also achieve a lower profile partly by having a smaller, less satisfactory eye-rest around the EVF.

bobtrlin

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 11:39:16 pm »

This will be too late for many people, me included but rather strangely there are large numbers of people who will only buy Canon (or Nikon) and to these people mirrorless will never be credible unless there's a Canon (or Nikon) mirrorless to buy and to them this camera will sell regardless of how it compares to the competitors.
There is nothing "rather strangely" about it.  Changing systems is a huge investment particularly for enthusiasts.  One needs to be assured of a quantum leap in performance and not just on paper, before making the jump.  It's not about being a fan boy, it's pragmatism.  Anyway, once locked into a system why not be a fan boy and have pride in what you have?

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 09:43:01 am »

Back in 2012 I used an EOS M for a while, with the great 22mm pancake lens. That little camera had at the time a great touch screen interface, and was actually very nice for travel. Plus, it was built like a tank. Today, several cameras don't yet have a touch screen, or if they have, the implementation is poor.

Slowly, as it is typical from Canon, the series seems to be evolving; the other day I handled the EOS M3, ergonomics have improved relative to the M, and the thing is still built like a tank. Feels like a small brick, in a good way, feels reliable. In between the M and the M3, a few lenses have been introduced. Canon always marketed this little system as a backup to their DSLRs, they never tried to compete against Sony or Fuji in MILC segment.

It is only logical that the new M5 adds EVF to the M3-body, plus the improved AF system seen on the EOS 80D. For those that want a small APSC MILC system for travelling or general hobbyist photography, the EOS M system is actually quite good.

skierd

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 06:57:36 pm »

This camera would be a lot more interesting if it had IBIS in stills mode as well as video mode. That one doesn't make sense at all to me.

As far as having an adapter for EF lenses, why not?  No one criticizes Sony for having an E mount to A mount adapter, and Canon wins by be able to sell the lenses they've invested heavily in over the last 30 years as well as sell bodies to existing users. Seems smart enough to me. Id be pretty happy with the 22 pancake, maybe a second fast prime or walk around zoom in EF-M, and whatever long L glass I need in the standard EF mount as long as the adapter maintains full functionality.

graeme

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 07:03:36 am »

It sounds like a nice stills camera ( I have no interest in video ).

Will be interested to find out how well EF-S / EF lenses work via the adapter. ( BTW I'm sure I read somewhere that Canon are bundling the adapter with the M5 kit but I can't find any confirmation of this - maybe I just imagined it? ).

A fully articulated rear screen would have been nice but would have probably added to the bulk of the camera.

As an EOS user I can't quite see why there's a dedicated exposure compensation dial cluttering the top of the camera when there's a quick control dial on the back - retro appeal?

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 07:46:11 pm »

Imagine a FFrame sensor, no AA, No adapter needed 40+ megapixels and you'd have a killer on your hands.

I tried the original M and the only thing that may tempt me to try Canon mirrorless again is if they come up with an innovative full frame version - M5D?

chez

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 10:23:21 pm »

I tried the original M and the only thing that may tempt me to try Canon mirrorless again is if they come up with an innovative full frame version - M5D?

Exactly...the Sony mirrorless use Canon lenses pretty seamlessly these days. I don't see anything in this new Canon camera that the Sony A6300 / A7II / A7R2 don't have.

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 04:13:00 pm »

there are large numbers of people who will only buy Canon (or Nikon) and to these people mirrorless will never be credible unless there's a Canon (or Nikon) mirrorless to buy and to them this camera will sell regardless of how it compares to the competitors.

Couldn't agree more. I'm willing to the all those amazed Canon users now happy because they can previsualize exposure on their EVF's, and EVF beginning to be a good idea vs OVF for many.

The joystick-like touch pad LCD has been a very good idea from Canon others will probably mimic soon.

Regards

www.guillermoluijk.com

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 04:14:08 pm »

the Sony mirrorless use Canon lenses pretty seamlessly these days. I don't see anything in this new Canon camera that the Sony A6300 / A7II / A7R2 don't have.

Something very important for fanboys: the Canon logo.

www.guillermoluijk.com

scooby70

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 07:00:11 pm »

There is nothing "rather strangely" about it.  Changing systems is a huge investment particularly for enthusiasts.  One needs to be assured of a quantum leap in performance and not just on paper, before making the jump.  It's not about being a fan boy, it's pragmatism.  Anyway, once locked into a system why not be a fan boy and have pride in what you have?

I can understand it if people are invested in a system but reading forums on line (I know this isn't a good idea) there do seem to be people who dismiss anything non Canon and will only see mirrorless as a legitimate choice once Canon have a product which isn't a laughing stock.

chez

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 07:48:02 pm »

Looking at the Sony 6500 and the Canon M5...not even close....
Pages: [1]   Go Up