Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto D2 announced  (Read 5636 times)

Geocolor

Re: Profoto D2 announced
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 01:05:07 pm »

Good news, nice tech specs but still the flash tubes are recessed. That makes it hard to decide if it is the right replacement to my aging Bowens monolights. As I have Profoto and Broncolor generators and accessories my list has been narrowed to D2 and Broncolor Siros S. The Siros exposed flash tube works better with my reflectors and softboxes, D2 looks more portable and durable for shoots on location.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 10:49:08 am »

Very tempting, and I think these would be much better on my back then carrying around my Acutes. 

I hope they release an updated "B2" system with a 1000 w/s option.  That would be a done deal for me. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Geocolor

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 03:54:56 pm »

I have some spare Profoto and Broncolor lamp domes. The Profoto diameter is approximately 7.5 cm and the Brons are a millimeter wider, I wander if they can be attached to D2 in a DIY way.  Has anyone done it?

The View

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 03:05:55 am »

Still the same poor layout with the recessed flash tubes you can't use on a beauty dish

The dome doesn't work - which is obvious when you look at it: you cannot divert a forward moving light beam by capping it with a dome. You get a bit of stray light, sure, but there are worlds between this awkward thing and a real profoto flash head that has a 180 degree light spread.

I have used the D1 in a test shoot with the dome on a Mola Euro - obviously totally impractical on such a big dish and it gave a hot spot in the center. But I can't see it working on a demi either - because of physics.

I hoped that Profoto would leave this awkward construction behind and one day offer a B2-2 with a flash head that is constructed that it fires light all around in a dish.

I expected Profoto to let the D1 die.

After all, the B2 is OK for location (even thought the same poor flash tube implementation), but who would ever use a D1 or D2 in a studio when you can get great, older Profoto packs and older heads that will be so much better than those monolights could ever be.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 03:16:38 am by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 03:57:42 pm »

Anyone with first hand experience on the D2 compared to the D1?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

FelixWu

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 04:08:22 am »

Yeah the recessed tube will definitely have some effect to the light pattern....but only marginal for most modifiers. For beauty dish and larger modifiers the prohead works better..Will that ruin your photograph? I don't think so.

Functionality wise D2 should be just as good as pro8 if not better. ; )

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 12:52:38 am »

Yeah the recessed tube will definitely have some effect to the light pattern....but only marginal for most modifiers. For beauty dish and larger modifiers the prohead works better..Will that ruin your photograph? I don't think so.

Functionality wise D2 should be just as good as pro8 if not better. ; )

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bernard

Conner999

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 10:20:14 am »

We used to have a mix of Acute and D1/B2/B1, etc., before starting a move to strictly Acute & Pro Head kits. The recessed head does effect light spread in larger softboxes and in BDs. It also limits the effect of some Profoto reflectors.

You can use a B2 or if adventurous, a B1/D1/D2 (due to weight) in a Bron Para 88, but you need to add an app. 6" 5/8 baby pin extension to the Bron's mount to get the recessed 77 deg light spread to fill the para.  For a larger Para, that extension may need to be longer - making the unit even more front-heavy.

The optional dome (for other than the B2) helps, but only takes the unit so far when compared to the 'normal' exposed Profoto tube.

However, it makes for more secure packing, easier, more compact grid use and does a great job protecting the tube in the case of mishandling (don't ask). 
Pages: [1]   Go Up