Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Superresolution Photos with Photoshop  (Read 4599 times)

wmchauncey

Superresolution Photos with Photoshop
« on: September 10, 2016, 03:35:42 pm »

I do a ton of photomerging images but, I've never used this newly found technique...https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Superresolution+Photos+with+Photoshop
Now I gotta admit that I don't understand how it works, if it does.  Can anyone help me out?
The things you do for yourself die with

wmchauncey

Re: Superresolution Photos with Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 09:11:24 am »

C'mon folks, someone's gotta understand it.
The things you do for yourself die with

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 09:44:59 am »

Benny Profane

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 10:14:00 am »

As per the first link:

That's fascinating, but, I would like to see the experiment include an image taken on a tripod, and compared to the final product from all this stacking. Also, he's shooting at a fairly low shutter speed for handheld, which also can be a factor, especially since he is sort of consciously attempting to move the camera slightly in the burst exposures to achieve this goal.
The final result is impressive, but, it seems that we are seeing a reduction in noise and moire rather than an improvement in sharpness.

Also, I'd like to see a comparison to an image taken with a Sony Ar7ii on a tripod at ISO 100. That might just solve the whole argument. Spend more money for a better camera. At least you don't have to worry about ghost people and cars in your images. Lord knows you'll save a lot of time and bother in post production. But, this is good to know if you're stuck with a smaller, older camera at a spectacular scene that you'll never be at again. What the heck. Fire away!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 10:15:38 am »

C'mon folks, someone's gotta understand it.

Hi,

What is it you want to know? It works, although the implementation is laborious and not that well suited for moving subjects.

Because the handheld approach produces erratic sampling of image features (and some features are captured at almost the same offset pixel positions), many more images are required compared to e.g. a half pixel shift multi-exposure sensor. Not all images in a hand held series contribute equally to the final result, as they would with a better controlled sampling.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 03:27:31 pm »

There are specialized softwares that make it less laborious, some accept RAW images and blend it to a DNG, so you can do all the adjustments after.
I will give you the short version of my findings after some months of testing:
1) "Superresolution" images are way better than straight upscaled images, but as Bart pointed out it is a laborious process not suited to moving subjects.
2) "Superresolution" images tend to be of inferior quality (resolution and detail) when compared to stitched multi-row panoramas (done properly).
3) As both process are laborious and not well suited for moving subjects I tend use the one that gives me more quality: Multi-row stitching.
Regards.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 07:41:21 am »

2) "Superresolution" images tend to be of inferior quality (resolution and detail) when compared to stitched multi-row panoramas (done properly).
3) As both process are laborious and not well suited for moving subjects I tend use the one that gives me more quality: Multi-row stitching.

Hi Geraldo,

Yes, that's a good point to make. Of course, stitching will require some special care at the time of shooting (No Parallax Point rotation) if one wants to increase the chance of problem free registration and stitching. So Super Resolution techniques can still be useful to have as a back-up procedure for hand held shooting, or Tripod shooting with some air turbulence or handling the camera.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 10:04:06 am »

So Super Resolution techniques can still be useful to have as a back-up procedure for hand held shooting, or Tripod shooting with some air turbulence or handling the camera.
Hello Bart,
You are absolutely right, superresolution is an excellent "lifejacket" in some situations. Even when you don't aim for increased resolution it may give you a file with less noise and more detail.
Regards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up