Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Gamma  (Read 5088 times)

Raw shooter

Adobe Gamma
« on: June 24, 2006, 06:39:46 pm »

No one on this board seems to like using the Adobe Gamma for simple monitor calibration.  I guess I must be missing something.
What would anyone suggest for an alternative software based system that would be superior to Adobe Gamma?
I am a public speaker and I have been using Adobe Gamma to do color corrections on the projectors at the venues when traveling.
Thanks in advance!

Serge Cashman

Adobe Gamma
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 08:06:48 pm »

For overall adjustments of colors on your monitor in non-colormanaged applications there's nothing  terribly wrong with adobe gamma. It adjusts monitor colors via videocard LUTs.

However the main idea of color management is measuring the display's output (not adjusting it) and providing colormanaged applications with this information. Colormanaged applications use this information to adjust the RGB numbers they send to a device.  That way you achieve device-independant color, no matter how your device looks in non-colormanaged applications. These two kinds of apps display colors differently.

You can also adjust the overall appearance of your monitor using a colorimeter-based calibration solution if you have a reason for that (such as make different monitors look similar in non-colormanaged applications), and some of the adjustments may be done via vc LUTs.  A colorimeter-based software will give you a closer match than those visual gamma sliders cause it knows exactly what display colors look like. But it's a separate and to some extent secondary task. The main thing is measurment.

<edit> Usually those two tasks are referred to as "calibration" (adjustment) and "profiling" (measurment). With Adobe Gamma you can change how monitor looks like but  you don't get an accurate profile of it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 08:22:12 pm by Serge Cashman »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Adobe Gamma
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 02:42:33 pm »

Adobe Gamma was never designed for LCD work for one. It's officially unsupported by Adobe. Visual calibration kind of sucks (it's not at all consistent). Toss it.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Raw shooter

Adobe Gamma
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 03:40:42 pm »

OK, then what software (other than Adobe Gamma) would one use - on the road - when trying to optimize the color output on a projector?
Is there a way to check the output from a projector?  
What would be any solution for this situation?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 03:41:16 pm by Raw shooter »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Adobe Gamma
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 03:43:10 pm »

OK, then what software (other than Adobe Gamma) would one use - on the road - when trying to optimize the color output on a projector?
Is there a way to check the output from a projector? 
What would be any solution for this situation?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Point is, you need an instrument (which would come bundled with software). EyeOne Display 2 is a good start but if you want to handle a projector, you're going to have to pay a lot more and get an EyeOne Pro Spectrophotometer. Does a great job on projectors (I never travel and lecture without one). It will also handle your display and measure output for building printer profiles. But now you're looking at a good $1500 investment.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Raw shooter

Adobe Gamma
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 05:00:20 pm »

Thanks Andrew - I will take your advice and start with the EyeOne product.

Serge Cashman

Adobe Gamma
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 11:05:06 pm »

Adobe Gamma was never designed for LCD work for one. It's officially unsupported by Adobe. Visual calibration kind of sucks (it's not at all consistent). Toss it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69094\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For non-colormanaged applications I don't think it's such a big concern (consistency aside). And it will introduce a bunch of issues that a person who does not need a colormanaged workflow will have to deal with. Like, to make sure the correct profile is still assigned to the projector and the correct LUTs are loaded after  reboot (it's Windows, remember? Dual monitors under XP and all of that.). Or the issue of 2.2 vs sRGB gamma that affects shadow details in non-colormanaged applications...

<edit> Obviously it also depends on whether the applications used for presentations are colormanaged. If they are then you need to calibrate devices properly with an instrument  (because of gamut remapping). If not - I'm not convinced. Andrew lectures about color management - so for him it's essential.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 12:01:27 am by Serge Cashman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up