Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I need new NEC calibration puck for new NEC monitor?  (Read 2239 times)

whawn

• The Daily Photograph™
Do I need new NEC calibration puck for new NEC monitor?
« on: September 07, 2016, 02:55:54 pm »

I'm thinking to buy an NEC PA322UHD to replace my venerable LCD2690 (which has never given me any trouble -- but gee, it's ONLY 1920x1200). 

I have the old-style x-rite NEC branded calibration puck & SpectraviewII.  The new version costs $300, and, since I already have the software, the only benefit would be the new puck. 

I'm using an old datacolor setup for calibrating my secondary monitors and printer but think maybe it's time to have an integrated solution.

So, a couple of questions:

1) Is there any discernible difference between the old puck and the newer x-rite NEC branded puck?

2) Is there a discernible difference between the newer x-rite puck and the NEC version. when used with Spectraview?

Thanks for your time!

Walter Hawn -- Casper, Wyoming

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Do I need new NEC calibration puck for new NEC monitor?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 05:31:52 pm »

I'm not clear on 'what puck' you've got (the older one) but if SpectraView supports it, if it's an X-rite branded unit, should be fine. Do toss anything old or new by DataColor if you've got the X-rite device.  ;D
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

whawn

• The Daily Photograph™
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 08:59:50 pm »

This is the x-rite model that my NEC-branded sensor derives from.  Is the new one enough better (it is said to be faster, but is the calibration overall better) that it's worth buying?

Alternatively, does the new model i1 Display Pro work as well with NEC monitors as the customized NEC version?
Walter Hawn -- Casper, Wyoming

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 09:01:13 pm »

1) Is there any discernible difference between the old puck and the newer x-rite NEC branded puck?
From MDSVSENSOR2 to MDSVSENSOR3, big difference.
2) Is there a discernible difference between the newer x-rite puck and the NEC version. when used with Spectraview?
From MDSVSENSOR3 to i1Display Pro, no.

Neither MDSVSENSOR3 or i1Display Pro will profile printers, but can calibrate other monitors with  Argyll+dispCAL.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:15:54 pm by Pictus »

Doug Fisher

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 09:38:05 am »

If you are going to buy new, buy the Xrite version.  Even NEC support says you should not be able to see a difference and if you buy the Xrite version it will not be locked to just to NEC monitors like the NEC puck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up