Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Older lenses for view camera with digital back...  (Read 2743 times)

Theodoros

Older lenses for view camera with digital back...
« on: September 07, 2016, 12:33:05 pm »

Hi all,

I have recent experience with modern lenses on my view camera, which is pretty disappointing, the lenses are sharp, but the image circle is so restricted, that they are of no practical use to me... I've sold my 60HR amd apo-digitar 80mm micro and have listed my apo digitar 60 too....

I now have a WA Apo digitar (sinaron digital version) which works great, but am also looking for 65mm, 100/105mm & 150 alternatives that will work well with film up to 6x8 and with digital backs with large pixels (larger than 6.8 μm) and no microlenses... There is absolutely a need for image areas up to 6x9 to be covered while the lens will work well with both film and MFDB, as I often use MFDB as to stitch the whole projected image....

Your experience on how older lenses cope with MFDBs will be highly appreciated, I'm particularly interested on Apo grandagon-N 65mm, Nikkor 65mm SW, Nikkor-W 105mm, Nikkor-W 150mm, Grandagon-N (Sironar S), Grandagon S (Sironar SE) and any other alternative one may suggest.

Note that I'm not prepared to spend more that modest for the telephoto range as to reach an Apo Sironar, as this is a next step I've already decided on, but I would like to know how the 100/150 older lenses compare  with the Apo Sironars on the MFDBs I use, what is more of a puzzle is clearly the 65mm range....

Pics2

Re: Older lenses for view camera with digital back...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 06:06:51 pm »

I don't know about older lenses, but I would suggest you Rodenstock Apo-Sironar digital lenses. They are not expensive these days(used) and their image circle is large enough for the largest sensor with full movements. I own 55, 90, 105 and 120 macro and use them with IQ160.

Theodoros

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 07:30:35 pm »

I don't know about older lenses, but I would suggest you Rodenstock Apo-Sironar digital lenses. They are not expensive these days(used) and their image circle is large enough for the largest sensor with full movements. I own 55, 90, 105 and 120 macro and use them with IQ160.

I have apo sironar wider than 55mm (sinaron digital) and as I've said, they are going to be my my next move for the 100 to 150mm range, my prior consideration now, is to have a 65mm lens that will do well with my MFDBs and have some cheap alternatives until the next move that will be adding the Sironars for the 100-150 telephoto range... I'm familiar with the Apo Sironars at that range as I've tried them before...

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 08:29:47 am »

I have SK Super-Symmar XLs in 110 and 150.  Though these are designed for 8x10 coverage, I found them as sharp as my Rodie Digital 90 and 135 on the IQ260.  I was very surprised.

Theodoros

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 12:51:39 pm »

I have SK Super-Symmar XLs in 110 and 150.  Though these are designed for 8x10 coverage, I found them as sharp as my Rodie Digital 90 and 135 on the IQ260.  I was very surprised.

It doesn't surprise me at all that you did Chris... It seems to me that the problem with digital sensors and MFDBs compatibility is only with the wider angle lenses which have short clearance distance from the sensor and a much wider angle for the photon rays to enter the pixels well...

I have the same findings as you when I use my MFDBs on the Fuji GX-680 with all its lenses, the results are superb although the designs of the lenses are based on older Fujinons aimed for use with 5x4 and larger view cameras... It must be due to the mounting distance... So the real problem is with the 65mm lens, as I think that most out of the 100/105mm to 150mm lenses will do very well indeed and thus are far less of a problem. 

I could of course take apart my Fujinon 65mm f5.6 of the Fuji GX-680 (which is a trusty solution) and re-shutter it on an external shutter, but the problem with that is that it can only mounted on a Seiko 1 mechanical shutter and no other!  >:(  But I use Rollei control S with Rollei shutters so that I can do multishot with my lenses and there is no way a Rollei shutter will fit on the lens... Otherwise I would have already done that....

Anybody with info on the Nikkor-SW 65mm f4 or Grandagon 65mm used with a digital back?

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 11:18:48 pm »

Believe it or not, I've been using a 135mm  Scheider Componon S with my Actus mini-view camera and a Sony a7r. The lens is incredibly sharp, very well corrected, and renders beautifully. I also use a 105 mm EL-Nikkor N lens. That too is extremely sharp and well corrected. I love using enlarger lenses with mirrorless cameras on the Actus.  I also have a Rodenstock Rodagon APO 80mm N and a Rodenstock Rodagon WA 60mm, both are fine performers. And that these lenses don't have shutters, is an asset when using mirrorless cameras. Some of theses lenses handle bokeh better than others. Fortunately, I prefer everything in the frame to be tack sharp.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:22:49 pm by BobDavid »

Theodoros

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 09:21:45 am »

Believe it or not, I've been using a 135mm  Scheider Componon S with my Actus mini-view camera and a Sony a7r. The lens is incredibly sharp, very well corrected, and renders beautifully. I also use a 105 mm EL-Nikkor N lens. That too is extremely sharp and well corrected. I love using enlarger lenses with mirrorless cameras on the Actus.  I also have a Rodenstock Rodagon APO 80mm N and a Rodenstock Rodagon WA 60mm, both are fine performers. And that these lenses don't have shutters, is an asset when using mirrorless cameras. Some of theses lenses handle bokeh better than others. Fortunately, I prefer everything in the frame to be tack sharp.

Certainly enlarger lenses are an excellent choice (perhaps the best?) for one to use with FF mirrorless... However, I would really hope that the discussion is concentrated for the use of older lenses with MFDBs... and especially so at the 65mm focal length...

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 01:42:27 pm »

The image circle on the Rodensctock WA 60mm has a  60mm image circle. If I were to jump into MF mirrorless (highly unlikely), I think ELs will be my go to option.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 01:54:18 pm by BobDavid »

Theodoros

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 02:09:37 pm »

The image circle on the Rodensctock WA 60mm has a  60mm image circle. If I were to jump into MF mirrorless (highly unlikely), I think ELs will be my go to option.

It doesn't take shutter Bob, thus it won't work with an MFDB... other than that, 60mm IC is too restricted for the requirements, have a look back in the O/P....
Pages: [1]   Go Up