Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import from Lightroom  (Read 2073 times)

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
Import from Lightroom
« on: September 06, 2016, 01:43:38 pm »

I've just imported my Lightroom catalogue into Capture One. It hasn't gone very well:

My very carefully made folder structure from LR - Year->Month->Date - has been flattened into just Date when it appears in C1. Well, not exactly flattened; it seems that some folders have remained under their parent, others haven't. Many are just at the top level. It's a real mess.

There also appears to be many folders and many images missing from the Folder view. All the images seem to be there in the catalog view.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Dog shouterer, professional pedant.

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Re: Import from Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 09:14:56 pm »

I've just imported my Lightroom catalogue into Capture One. It hasn't gone very well:

My very carefully made folder structure from LR - Year->Month->Date - has been flattened into just Date when it appears in C1. Well, not exactly flattened; it seems that some folders have remained under their parent, others haven't. Many are just at the top level. It's a real mess.

There also appears to be many folders and many images missing from the Folder view. All the images seem to be there in the catalog view.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sadly, I find much of the same attempting to automate import. C1's catalog has many nice features, but it's just not as mature as LR's.

I had better luck creating the structure I wanted within the C1 catalog and importing images one folder at a time into it. But then I'm using C1 as a managed, as opposed to referenced - I started off using Aperture when I moved to a full workflow app instead of Photoshop.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 08:07:13 am »

I was afraid of that.

Thanks for the input.

N80

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 10:29:57 am »

I came over from Aperture and had to do what Bob did as well. A bit tedious but it worked. I also do not currently use referenced files. I keep my original files in the CO Catalog on my main hard drive.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 03:01:14 pm »

But when you do that you don't get any of the Lightroom adjustments. Am I right?

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 08:47:23 pm »

But when you do that you don't get any of the Lightroom adjustments. Am I right?

Well, you can get some adjustments if you go through a few more steps.

If you export a group of Lightroom images as a catalog, you can import that Lightroom catalog to Capture One. When you do, you'll get a dialog that tells you what will transfer (attached). Of course, C1 doesn't do image adjustments in the same way as Lightroom (that might be a good thing, it's probably why you're considering switching). But you will get the metadata and simple crops and rotation. Even virtual copies.

It can be a bit laborious if you're going to move all your images over.

Some folks find it's ultimately easier to keep all their past work in Lightroom and do new work in C1. Or only bring to C1 the most recent things you'd like to compare results on.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 02:41:46 am »

Thanks Bob. That's helpful

FrankStark

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 01:27:23 pm »

Just created a C1 catalogue by importing my LR catelogue. 10,000 images. No problem.

F.
"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others."  David duChemin
Pages: [1]   Go Up