Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silver Efex control points  (Read 7649 times)

alex

• Alex Ramsay Photography
Silver Efex control points
« on: September 06, 2016, 09:32:39 am »

Hi - I'm new to this software, and would be glad of some help. Are there minus control points in Silver Efex Pro 2, and if so how do I access them? I would like to be able to remove (mask) some areas of an image from the effects of a preset filter. I believe it's possible to do this in Color Efex, so presumably also in b/w

Thanks,
Alex
Alex Ramsay
Website at http://www.alexra

rdonson

Re: Silver Efex control points
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 10:53:59 am »

Yes, the control points work the same way in Silver Efex Pro 2. 
Regards,
Ron

alex

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 01:24:17 pm »

Thanks, good to know - but I can't see how to get a minus (masking) control point; the ones available appear to be only positive, for creating an effect rather than hiding one
Alex Ramsay

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 05:00:00 pm »

The sliders can add positive or negative values.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

alex

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 05:03:08 pm »

But is it possible to control opacity, so that I can have localised control over the effect of a preset?
Alex Ramsay

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 05:03:32 pm »

Alex, I'm not sure what you're seeking.

The sliders for control points begin in the middle of the adjustment range when you first start one.  Slide to the left to reduce and slide to the right to increase.
Regards,
Ron

alex

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 05:12:01 pm »

Thanks for your answers, Ron and Jeff - what I should like to do is take a preset and apply it to only part of an image. I thought I might be able to do this by applying the preset and then using a minus (negative) control point to remove the effect from the areas I want unaffected - but I suspect this option may only be available in Color Efex, which certainly offers both positive and negative control points
Alex Ramsay

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 05:16:13 pm »

But is it possible to control opacity, so that I can have localised control over the effect of a preset?

Which preset are you looking to reduce?

Normally presets alter Brightness, Contrast, Structure, Color Filters, etc.  There is no way I know of to control the overall opacity of all of those potential settings a preset may make.  You can use a control point to adjust Brightness, Contrast and Structure in a selective area. 

To accomplish what I think you're asking for I usually go back to see what the preset changed from base and make changes.

Perhaps easiest would be to open your file in Photoshop, create a duplicate layer then use Silver Efex Pro 2 on that layer then adjust the opacity of that layer.

If you're looking for a tool that might do what I think you're looking for and you're on a Mac, check out Tonality Pro from MacPhun.  It provides layers within the tool and you can control opacity there without going to Photoshop.

Hope this helps
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 05:19:51 pm »

Alex, perhaps a mask on a Silver Efex Pro 2 layer in Photoshop or MacPhun Tonality Pro is what you're ultimately looking for.
Regards,
Ron

alex

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 05:21:15 pm »

Thank you very much - that's really helpful!
Alex
Alex Ramsay

scotto

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 02:20:29 pm »

Each control point makes its own mask; the mask both defines where the control point's (CP) adjustments are applied and where other CPs will have minimal or no effect, i.e. where other CPs are blocked. If you place a CP and don't move the adjustment sliders, it does nothing to the image, but it does make its mask.

To create what I think what mean by "negative" CP, just place a CP in the area you don't want affected and leave the adjustment settings at default/zero. Move the size slider to set the size of this "negative" CP's mask. You can view the masks created by the CPs by selecting them in the CPs panel on the right. You might need to add more than one of these "negative or null" CPs to get the result you want.

Best regards

donbga

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 07:59:43 pm »

Each control point makes its own mask; the mask both defines where the control point's (CP) adjustments are applied and where other CPs will have minimal or no effect, i.e. where other CPs are blocked. If you place a CP and don't move the adjustment sliders, it does nothing to the image, but it does make its mask.

To create what I think what mean by "negative" CP, just place a CP in the area you don't want affected and leave the adjustment settings at default/zero. Move the size slider to set the size of this "negative" CP's mask. You can view the masks created by the CPs by selecting them in the CPs panel on the right. You might need to add more than one of these "negative or null" CPs to get the result you want.

Best regards

The concept of Control Points used in NIK software is a little baffling until one uses them and has an 'AHA!' moment. Just use them. They can always be removed or deleted non-destructively.

I especially like the use of control points with SEP2. Control point concept is different but flexible.

Good luck,

Don Bryant

ericbowles

• Bowles Images
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 09:00:20 pm »

One of the tricks with Control Points is that if you have a control point bleeding over you can apply another "neutral" control point to the bleed over area and eliminate the problem.
Eric Bowles
Nature Photography
Workshops and Instruction
Pages: [1]   Go Up